9spaceking
balzanoj16

In Hearthstone, the Most Overpowered Card is Dr. Boom

9spaceking
Started: 11/14/2015 Category: Games

9spaceking

Pro

If you begin round one leave last round blank, if you accept round one you can debate all rounds. Don't troll and if you din't know what the topic is about don't accept this debate.
balzanoj16

Con

Even though Dr. Boom is a very strong card, Mysterious Challenger is more OP. With Mysterious Challenger you can take board control from your opponent with one card. If you have all 5 secrets in your deck it will play all of them when you play it. So do the math, you get a 6/6 minion for 6 mana and you also get 5 secrets that cost 1 mana each. Adding all the costs up you get the value of an 11 mana card for the cost of 6 mana.
9spaceking

Pro

My opponent is wrong on the bigger picture. Just why did I say dr. boom is more overpowered? Let's see the pros of using Dr. Boom over MC:
-Dr. Boom is a neutral card, which means ALL NINE CLASSES can use it. On the other hand, Mysterious Challenger can only be used in a paladin deck.
-Mysterious Challenger needs at least five secrets to be very powerful. Yet, by running five secrets your deck is quite weak. Let's calculate the chances of NOT drawing into at least one of these five secrets by turn six:
In turn one you draw four cards. The first card, 1/6 chance to draw into a secret. Second card, 5/29. Third, 5/28. Fourth, 5/27. And if we calculate the chances of not drawing into one of the secrets four times in a row, the chances are at an extremely low 0.00095--0.095%. Furthermore, within five turns, even though you have six mana to play mysterious challenger, the chances are lowered down to a number so miniscule that it is an impossibility to NOT have a secret in your hand, or already played on the field. Thus, as a result, Mysterious Challenger is actually not so overpowered since in reality it would only put 2 or 3 or even if you're super lucky, 4 secrets at a time, since the chances of NOT drawing into your five secrets is ridiculously low.
-MC actually has more counters than Dr. Boom. Hunter's FLARE completely negate the advantage and turns the tables rather favorably. Kezan Mystic, usually ran to counter mage decks and/or hunter decks, can also turn around the 2 or 3 secrets into 1 or 2 secrets, with one secret for the opponent. And with possible youthful or old brewmasters, she can completely turn this around to 0 or 1 secret at the most.
-Boom on the other hand, doesn't have that many counters. There's Big Game Hunter, but unfortunately even BGH trades perfectly with the Boom Bots Dr. Boom creates. The extra deathrattle [Baron Rivendare!] and mech synergy have too much in common with mage or pally mechs.
balzanoj16

Con

balzanoj16 forfeited this round.
9spaceking

Pro

The true story of Dr. Boom.

My opponent is rogue at 8 health, I'm also a rogue, forgot my health (doesn't matter anyways).
My board: Goblin auto-barber buffed to 7 attack, gives my weapon 1 attack on summon, how much health doesn't matter. Hand has shadow step.
I don't know what my opponent has in his hand, but he can't kill my weakened minion.
Opponent freezes my monster, plays doomsayer. Still has something else on board, but she/he doesn't care.
Well played.
What do I draw? Hmmmm.... I'll leave you to guess it.
I play shadow step.
Well played.
Bah, this game is slow. Might as well play my draw.
Three bodies on the board, two round balls on the side and one crazy guy in the middle with thunder behind him.
Boom.
Well played.
Opponent begins turn.
Everything dies.
First bomb goes to face.... I need at least 6 damage...
4 damage.
Well played. Only two more damage to go.
4 damage.
Perfect damage.
Opponent cries, then quits, and uninstalls hearthstone, never to touch it again. (in my imagination)
Dr. Boom OP: a true story.
balzanoj16

Con

balzanoj16 forfeited this round.
Posted by 9spaceking 1 year ago
9spaceking
true, true. I agree that MC is the more prioritizing.
Posted by NikolaGustav 1 year ago
NikolaGustav
Not saying that he's a better card over all, but in the current meta, Mysterious Challenger is the card that most needs nurfing, not Dr. Boom.
Posted by kwantom75 1 year ago
kwantom75
I would honestly have to say that the Pro here is using his time poorly. The description of the card itself doesn't say anything about drawing them. it places on of each secret into play. That is a huge advantage and can possibly give you several rounds to set back up and turn the game around. i would most certainly lean more to the con side.
Posted by viodoze 1 year ago
viodoze
I think Dr. Boom is one of the best 7 mana plays, if not the most desirable. It's also the comeback card that can save some asses. But of course its OPness depends on what you're playing and what you're playing against. As it gained fame people play more BGH to counter it. If you're against a class that can disable/destroy any minion (assassinate, polimorph, hex etc.) you're most likely not getting full value of the 7/7. Ye, w/e, there are lots of ways to counter it so for this part the best thing you can do is pray.
The RNG dependent dmg of the Doom Bots is the best part of this card, imo. Good at finishing off creatures (or your opponent keke). It's so fun to play. So if I had to chose a position it'll be Pro, bc it's the best neutral 7 mana card you can play and has comeback potential.
Posted by 9spaceking 1 year ago
9spaceking
If we play in the same region [I play in americas] you can tell me your id and I'll try to add you as friend
Posted by soccerisfun 1 year ago
soccerisfun
Let me compile reasons why reno is better and i'll accept :D
Posted by Blade-of-Truth 1 year ago
Blade-of-Truth
I guess I'm a little biased because it's easy to sweep that card and the two bots that come with it. Also, it's not like the damage from them is guaranteed to hit you, it could go anywhere. I can see why it's OP, sure, but I think there are more OP cards. Side-note, hearthstone is awesome, I wish there was a way we could play each other :)
Posted by 9spaceking 1 year ago
9spaceking
Mysterious Challenger and Tirion Fordring are top contenders, but of course I considered them and I can make very good arguments why they are not as overpowered as Dr. Boom...
Posted by NikolaGustav 1 year ago
NikolaGustav
Hearthstone is the best!
Posted by KingofEverything 1 year ago
KingofEverything
I misread that as Dr. Doom, like wtf.
Vote Placed by Blade-of-Truth 1 year ago
Blade-of-Truth
9spacekingbalzanoj16Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct - Pro. Con forfeited nearly every round, due to this Pro wins conduct. S&G - Tie. Both had adequate spelling throughout. Arguments - Pro. Con left Pro standing unchallenged from R2 until the end. Due to this, Pro wins arguments. Sources - Tie. Neither utilized sources within this debate.