aviralagarwal323456
YakovF

In "Of Mice and Men", was George advising Lennie to not fight back ok?

aviralagarwal323456 has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 1 week ago Status: Debating Period

aviralagarwal323456

Pro

I think it was right for George not to tell Lennie to fight back and we have seen in many different scenarios, not necessarily in the book, that fighting never helps. If Lennie had fought back against Curley, who was the boss"s son, there was a good chance that they would have gotten fired. That or Lennie might have even gotten hurt. Lennie is known to be the troublemaker between the two of them and according to the book he has cost George many of their jobs. If they lost this one they would have to, yet again, go traveling throughout the west looking for a job in such a horrible and depressing time period. This would cause many problems for them, such as not earning enough money to get food. Their dream of having some land of their own would have been delayed if not broken. George is very smart and clever, so when he decided not to tell Lennie to fight back, he must have had something in his mind. A reason that told him that Lennie should not fight. He obviously looked very disturbed by Curley"s actions so we know that he didn't not tell Lennie to fight because he wanted Lennie to get hurt.
YakovF

Con

No, when I'm being beaten up, I'm still getting bruises, damages, and you don't know if some of those damages will stay forever. You even have a chance of death. I can understand why he said it, but I don't agree with it. If a boss fires you for self-defense, you might need not a better boss, but a different job.
Posted by YakovF 1 week ago
YakovF
This is sorta just a normal situation that could happen in normal day to day life, so I decided not to use any symbols. (Also because they can't really help me here either)
Posted by Montague_Smith 1 week ago
Montague_Smith
There is a bit more to it than that! With Lennie's disability and with the relationship between the three characters and context, it's more than just common sense that would win the day.
Posted by YakovF 1 week ago
YakovF
It's more of common sense in anything.
Posted by Montague_Smith 1 week ago
Montague_Smith
Does the contender even know the book? Because you should really debate using sources and evidence for a book like this. With such rich foreshadowing and symbolism you should really use evidence or else I'm voting for the instigator