TheHitchslap
ConservativeAmerican

In Terms of Public Policy Franklin D. Roosevelt was a Good President

TheHitchslap

TheHitchslap

Pro

Franklin D. Roosevelt (a.k.a FDR) the 32nd President of the United States (1933–1945) and a central figure in world events during the mid-20th century, leading the United States

Good as defined as "to be desired or approved of" - https://www.google.ca...

Public Policy defined as: " the governing policy within a community as embodied in its legislative and judicial enactments which serve as a basis for determining what acts are to be regarded as contrary to the public good" this will include said policies, their analysis/effectiveness/impacts of those decisions.

In short: for me to meet my BOP I must show that FDR's policies was desireable and/or approved of, similarily, CON must show opposite, that FDR's policies was not indeed approved of, or desireable.

Standard DDO CC (Code of Conduct) shall apply here. (No semantics, ad homs, et cetera...)

Con may either just accept in round one, or make his case in round one, he has his option. If he takes the latter (makes his case in round one) in round 4 he may only type in a goodbye of his choosing with "as agreed upon in round one" in the statement, failure to do so results in forefits.

Goodluck and have fun
ConservativeAmerican

Con

I will just use this as a round of acceptance, I accept all of pro's definitions and thank him for instigating this debate.

I would like to also propose to pro that we do not use sites that have a clear bias for/against FDR. By this I mean that I won't use sources like redstate, fox news, etc, and you won't use sources like HuffPost, MSNBC, etc. I think this is useful as I would rather not nitpick at sources that I think have a bias, and just focus on the debate instead.

That is all, good luck to you and I look forward to an exciting debate!
TheHitchslap

Pro

Why is this important today? Well for one we just got out of the Great Recession. And today we are witnessing a radically economically liberal right-wing party try to champion free-markets, while the left -- who in recent years have had to go closer to the middle -- continue to push the kensyian policies who's foundations were used in the FDR administration. In fact much of the liberal policies of today are founded on his decisions. So luckly for us the Great Depression offers us a more objective, clear look of the impacts of both policies. The first of lassaez-faire economic policies by Hoover (which empirically made the depression simply continue) and secondly the new interventionalist policies used by FDR (who's results will be discussed below). Please note, we're disgussing all policies, not just the New Deal, though the New Deal will be apart of that, I have no doubts.

C1: FDR is Frequently Rated in The Top 3 Presidents of All-Time

This argument is unique, in that we have a president (1 of 3) in which both scholars, Democrats and Conservatives all agree is one of the best of all time. FDR is frequently posted in about number 3, behind Abe Lincoln, and George Washington as the greatest presidents of all time. No doubt, this is due to the policies in which he enacted, and furthermore, the charisma he exlempified, and the lack of faults he showed during his time in office.
[http://en.wikipedia.org...]

C2: The Man Grew a Pair, and Attacked Hitler!

While at first public opinion would not allow him to declare war against the Nazi's due to the heavy presence of anti-war personnel in congress at the time, he continued to sell arms to both the British and the French covertly. Eventually, when the British are severely threatened, and Europe is looking glim at the hands of Hitler's hegemony, the US's public opinion swinged heavily in favor of war, and FDR wasted no time in laying down some nasty Nazi butt whoopings! There was a huge bonus; the economy of the US as a result of selling those arms turned them into an economic powerhouse ever since. Espescially since America joined late in the War, and Hitler over-extended himself when attacking Russia. The opportunity to take him down was there, and Roosevelt did it.
[http://en.wikipedia.org...]

C3: Unequivocal Champion of Minority Rights

FDR relied on winning by gaining the support of African-Americans, Chinese Americans, Cathloics, Jews, Filipino Americans, et cetera. In fact while in office his justice department was notorious about working with minorities (NAACP) to work on preventing brutality within police, stop lynchings, et cetera. Now this may not seem like a big deal today, espesically when we now have a black president. However, even though FDR was never able to pass any anti-lynching legislation, he was vocal about them (which is controversial as he underminded some of the souths support of him), and furthermore, when you consider the years before under Hoover's administration, when strike-breakers are used against african-americans, we see them shot and killed for protesting, then I submit that in comparison ceterus paribus we see huge strides made by FDR's administration for minority rights. Espescially, with his so-called "Black Cabinet" the first of it's kind.
[http://en.wikipedia.org...]

C4: Hate Prohibition? So Did FDR!

"I think this would be a good time for a beer." - FDR upon signing the Cullen-Harrison Act, which allowed for alcoholic beverages to contain about 3.2% alcohol. This amendment to the Volstead Act would ultimately lead to the fall of prohibition under FDR's presidency.
[http://en.wikipedia.org...]

C5: My Opponent Will No Doubt Claim FDR Was a Tyrant ... But ..

The biggest thing to consider with FDR's executive is this: he simply didn't give himself power. Congressional support gave it to him before he even entered office, under the justification to fight the Great Depression, or in his speech "powers as great as needed as if to fight a foreign foe". Furthermore, with his power, he closed down all banks for a holiday, compelled congress to meet anonymously, and eventually got support to enact laws that would re-open closed down banks. That was the extent of his tyrannical powers. FDR showed he was not a radical during this incident, balancing his own powers in such a way that could have perverted democracy, but the sheer character of FDR wouldn't allow him to do so.
One of the impacts of his control? Espesciallly by using government agencies to influence the banks? Well simply put before FDR's policies were enacted, credit crunches in combination with bank runs outright cause the economy to slow, and continued to plumet. This is agreed upon regardless of whatever political party you are involved in, however under FDR only 10 banks per year would fail (abouts), while under Hoover it was more like 500. Banking stability under FDR was made.
[ - A People and A Nation, 9th Edition, Volume II: Since 1865, Norton,. et al, pg. 656-657]

Finally: Fireside Chats, Better Than Sliced Bread!

The one littlest policy I think everyone overlooks that had the biggest impact is no doubt the so-called "fireside" chats. In which president FDR would speak on the radio to the people, it no doubt furthered transparency to the people, and allowed them to have a greater knowledge of what was going on during the President's time in office. However it did so much more than that: the President's optomism, coupled with his awesome rhetoric and reputation as a man of reliability, caused a renewed national spirit in the US in the face of great catastrophe. Anyone who has a basic understanding of economics and why it's in the social sciences knows why this is important, faith in the economy translates into good economic activites. When people get skeptical of the economy tanking, they save instead of spend. FDR's little "chats" single-handedly improved the economy himself, with only his personality! .. Almost sounds like a Chuck Norris joke ..
[http://en.wikipedia.org...]

Fun Facts:
Without question, the first New Deal simply worked wonderfully. In fact, it was revolutionary in that no one ever dared interfere with the economy before on behalf of the state. Right up until 1937-38 the policies helped minorities, put 250 thousand youth back to work through government programs only, and unemployment along with bank runs dropped while GDP increased. Why did 37-38 suck? And why do republicans harp on it? It wasn't because it didn't work, but rather they tried to deregulate afterwards, which businesses unable to stand on their own fell via the monetary policies enforced at that time coupled with the Treasury wanting to continue the Gold Standard when Fiat Money was needed. The three R's FDR wanted in the New Deal were addressed and worked. The only year anyone can steak a claim to the failure of FDR's policies is the recession of 1937-38, and they were not his policies that caused the failure.

Furthermore, although he was not able to pass the legislation before his death, another lesser known bill of rights was going to be proposed by him to be passed in Congress.

-http://www.voxeu.org...
-http://www.economist.com...

In Conclusion:
----------------

I have shown with unequivocal facts, that no doubt in terms of the public policies enacted by FDR, he was a good president. Ranked highly, his poicies simply worked, and his personality assisted the economy.

Over to you opponent.
ConservativeAmerican

Con

ConservativeAmerican forfeited this round.
TheHitchslap

Pro

arguments extended.
ConservativeAmerican

Con

I apologize to my opponent for my forfeit. I just recently started a new college class and the material is relatively tough, so I have to study way longer for this particular class than I have had to previously for other classes. I hope we can do this again when I'm not as swamped, sorry! All votes should go to Pro.
TheHitchslap

Pro

thank you
please give me the win
Posted by henryajevans 3 years ago
henryajevans
But he wasn't really anti-fascist. He was pro-American interests, which happened to come into conflict with those of the Axis. He described Mussolini as 'That admirable Italian gentleman', and many American corporations supported Franco in the Spanish Civil War.
Posted by ConservativeAmerican 3 years ago
ConservativeAmerican
So it could be something like, was he an effective president?
ConservativeAmerican
I have a problem with the definition of 'good'.

Most people do think FDR was a good president, so he is approved of. I am not arguing about his public opinion, I'm arguing about his policies and how they either negatively effected america or didn't effect america the way his policies intended to.
Vote Placed by bsh1 3 years ago
bsh1
TheHitchslapConservativeAmericanTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro more persuasive.
Vote Placed by calculatedr1sk 3 years ago
calculatedr1sk
TheHitchslapConservativeAmericanTied
Reasons for voting decision: ff
Vote Placed by Ragnar 3 years ago
Ragnar
TheHitchslapConservativeAmericanTied
Reasons for voting decision: Concession.
Vote Placed by TUF 3 years ago
TUF
TheHitchslapConservativeAmericanTied
Reasons for voting decision: Concession, and forfeits.
Vote Placed by Mikal 3 years ago
Mikal
TheHitchslapConservativeAmericanTied
Reasons for voting decision: ff
Vote Placed by Oromagi 3 years ago
Oromagi
TheHitchslapConservativeAmericanTied
Reasons for voting decision: Ff and laid out an argument