megatronnus
Anthola

In a "god exists" debate, bop should be on pro

megatronnus

Pro

bop= Burden of Proof
In a god exists debate, burden of proof should be on pro as we can't provide proof for something that doesn't exist. How can I provide proof that Megatronus is a real person unless I know Megatronus exists? Suppose I tell you Optimus Prime lives with the Gods. What proof can you provide that Optimus Prime doesn't live with the Gods? You would tell me his real location. Except that God doesn't have a known location, or heaven doesn't have a location.
Anthola

Con

Any claims of existence, unless backed up by testable evidence, should be rejected by Occam's razor. Russel's teapot is as evident as always here. Lets say that at this very moment I make the claim that an invisible teapot is, at this very instant, is in orbit around the Sun between the Earth and Mars and that because you, nor anyone can prove the assertion wrong it is therefore a valid one.

This obviously, is complete nonsense. How would I know there is a teapot there without evidence? Because I am making the ridiculous claim asserting the existence of this invisible teapot, it is up to me to prove to you that this teapot exists, therefore the burden of proof lies on me.

The same case can be made for your claim, you are asserting to me that Optimus Prime lives with the Gods. This is a ridiculous claim, as no other observable thing that we know of has ever lived with the gods(assuming that there is a god or gods). Because nothing has ever been established that supports your claim, the claim is therefore a claim that I cannot accept without ample proof. This is not to say that I believe he COULD not exist among the gods, but rather that until you have given me enough testable evidence to prove your claim, the default position is doubt towards the claim based on your lack of proof.

If I was to assert that Optimus Prime does not live with the Gods. Then yes, the burden of proof would lie on me. However, the default position for atheists is not asserting that a god does not exist, but rather that until enough evidence has been provided to support the claim, the default position, based on doubt(not belief), would be to take the position that there is no god until enough evidence has been provided to prove otherwise.
megatronnus

Pro

megatronnus forfeited this round.
Anthola

Con

Anthola forfeited this round.
megatronnus

Pro

megatronnus forfeited this round.
Anthola

Con

Anthola forfeited this round.