Maat
vi_spex

In math, 1 divided by 0 is 0

Maat

Maat

Pro

I have recently gotten into debating. It is pretty obvious that any number divided by zero is zero. So, I guess this is in place to boost my self-esteem.

Guidelines

1) All common guidelines must be followed; No plagiarism, debate must be taken seriously, etc.

2) No semantics. If you are unsure about a word, do not accept the debate and make your own definition. Ask.

3) Sources must be proven reliable.

4) BoP is on both pro and con

My opponent should remember that if he accepts, then later on fails to follow the definition and/or a guideline/guidelines and says that he was not aware of it, I will use his acceptance against him; If he accepts, he must agree with all.

C1) The way division works shows that any number divided by zero is zero

How does division work? What are you doing to the numbers whenever you divide a number by another?

You are trying to find how many chunks of whatever there are in something.

6/3

The first number, which would be 6 in this case, is the number that you will be trying to find chunks of the second number, which would be 3 in this case, of. So, in this case, you are trying to find how many chunks of 3 there are in 6, which there are 2.

10/2

The first number, which would be 10 in this case, is the number that you will be trying to find chunks of the second number, which would be 2 in this case, of. So, in this case, you are trying to find how many chunks of 2 there are in 10, which there are 5.

Now, let us get into the zeros.

11/0

The first number, which would be 11 in this case, is the number that you will be trying to find chunks of the second number, which would be 0 in this case, of. So, in this case, you are trying to find how many chunks of 0 there are in 11, which there are none.

Now, apply that to other numbers.

87/0

132/0

8677/0

131/0

You will notice that it does not matter; Whatever the first number is, there will never be chunks of 0 in a number.

I now hand the floor to Pro. Just so he knows, he may argue in the first round.

vi_spex

Con

an imaginary man can never drink a real soda

0 can never be divided by 1, and 1 can never be divided by 0

so actually 3 divided by 0 is 3 can not be explained by an equation, as it cant happen, therefore no equal is going on and you have what you tried to divide with 0

0 is false and truth
1 is true

you can never show me 0 bananas
Maat

Pro

Rebuttals

C1) Math can not be explained by an equation, but by life examples

"so actually 3 divided by 0 is 3 can not be explained by an equation, as it cant happen, therefore no equal is going on and you have what you tried to divide with 0"

Basically, the point here is:

6/3

You may have numbers, but if they are only numbers, you make nothing out of it; if they are only numbers, not amounts of something, such as soda, you do not make anything out of it but another number in your head.

This is true only if you were talking about life situations. However, here, we are only talking math. And if you were not talking about life situations, math does not have to be realistic, only logical. So, taking that in mind, you will have no chunks of zero in ANY number, so any number divided by zero must be zero.

C2) No one can show someone zero of something, such as zero bananas

"you can never show me 0 bananas"

This contension is related to the other; they both assume the debate to be realistic. Again, here, we are only talking math. And if you were not talking about life situations, math does not have to be realistic, only logical. So, again, taking that into mind, you will have no chunks of zero in ANY number, so any number divided by zero must be zero.

I return the floor to my opponent. I believe he accepted this debate because of the misconception. I do not think he can refute the logic of math.
vi_spex

Con

to simplify, 1+0=1 is also a false equation, its just 1, or to show it cant be done this is the explanation 1+0(1)

1+0 cant equal anything

3 sodas shared by 0 people, is 3 sodas, as nothing happened, its like saying don't divide these 3 sodas

0 and 1 are defined by nothing and everything, and everything I something

you can not divide any number with 0, as you cant divide with 0

an equation is either true or false, there is no in between, math is absolute
Maat

Pro

I have but one thing to say. My opponent either ignored my main point or misunderstood it.

After I have made my point, he is still talking about life situations, and I am not talking about life situations, only math. And if you are not talking about life situations, math does not have to be realistic, but logical. I will repeat that in division, you are finding how many chunks of a number there are in a number. So, logically, there are no chunks of zero in any number, even infinity.

This may also have been his response:

"an equation is either true or false, there is no in between, math is absolute"

I did not say math is not absolute. I said that there are two interpretations of math; the realistic and the logical math. Both interpretations are logical. However, one is realistic, one is not.

In the realistic interpretation, a number divided by zero would not be zero; You are dividing something by nothing, thus it stays in however many pieces it had in the beginning.

However, in the logical, and only logical, interpretation, a number divided by zero would be zero; There are no chunks of 0 in any number.

We are taking the logical interpretation in this debate.

I return the floor to my opponent. Hopefully he will understand in this round.
vi_spex

Con

an equation is either true or false

cause+effect=logic

logic is absolute

something can not be divided by nothing, an imaginary man cant drink a real soda
Maat

Pro

My opponent continues to misunderstand.

I am saying that a number divided by zero depends on the interpretation you take.

My opponent seems to think that I believe that his logic is not logical. It is. However, I have pointed out numerous times that the side you choose on this debate depends on the interpretation you take. We are taking the logical interpretation. However, my opponent continues to take the realistic interpretation.

I return the floor to my opponent.

vi_spex

Con

there can be no plus without cause

plus and minus is cause and effect, and equal is logic

you cant put another pencil in your hand without a cause, so you cant add 1 without logic, therefore math is logic

you can never divide something by nothing
Maat

Pro

Maat forfeited this round.
vi_spex

Con

you win because I do not believe in god
Posted by vi_spex 2 years ago
vi_spex
no 1 is 0
no 0 is 1, as existence exists
Posted by vi_spex 2 years ago
vi_spex
the content of the words no, not, non dosnt exist, 0 is false and truth

god is not true, is imagined as, god is true
Posted by gomergcc 2 years ago
gomergcc
no=0
Posted by vi_spex 2 years ago
vi_spex
I can count 0 bananas on the picture no times
Posted by gomergcc 2 years ago
gomergcc
I don't see any bananas, you havnt shown me any= O bananas because I have not shown you any.

haven't=didn't=can't=0
none=0
no=0

There you go by you own admission I have show 0 bananas
Posted by vi_spex 2 years ago
vi_spex
I don't see any bananas, you havnt shown me any
Posted by gomergcc 2 years ago
gomergcc
so how many do u see?
Posted by vi_spex 2 years ago
vi_spex
i cant count what i cant see
Posted by gomergcc 2 years ago
gomergcc
*Bangs head on desk*

Vi_spex please look at all the pictures count how many bananas you see and tell me how many bananas there are.
Posted by vi_spex 2 years ago
vi_spex
I said you cant show me 0 bananas and you show me monkeys, now you have shown me monkeys, so I want to see 0 bananas, show me
Vote Placed by gomergcc 2 years ago
gomergcc
Maatvi_spexTied
Reasons for voting decision: Best argument anyone have given vi_spex on this subject. Kudos :) As per usual Cons argument dose not make sense and does not use the normal rules of grammar.