In public school students should be able to be searched for without probable.

erutnevda12 has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 3 weeks ago Status: Debating Period

Students should be able to be able to be searched for without probable cause.

You are in favor of searches without probable cause for public school students. I am against this argument.

In the United States we have the Bill of Rights. In that Bill of Rights we have a 4th amendment.

"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." [1]

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. "
-- Benjamin Franklin [2]

I have some questions for you: If you had a 14 year old daughter, (Lets say sister or cousin in your case as you are 17) would it be acceptable in your mind for the school resource officer to pat her down at the school any time they felt like it? Would you feel comfortable with this strange government worker putting his hands all over her young body any time he felt like it? How about a cavity search?

I know you may want to give up some freedom to feel a little safer, but I assure you it is only security theater. [3]

This will not make school's any safer. Many students will be caught having dreaded nail clippers! or mouth wash! or aspirin! *gasps* oh the humanity!

What you propose is "Guilty until proven innocent", and that is not how a society should be run. The "guilty" people who are actually caught using your methods will likely have a small bag of marijuana that they are experimenting with. Otherwise good kids could wind up with much of their future flushed down the drain because they smoked a little weed in high school. What you propose would be a part of the war on drugs. The prisons are already over packed with drug offenses. [4]

Posted by TheBenC 3 weeks ago
Children have 0 rights. Get over it.
Posted by kellyzzz05 3 weeks ago
What he said made me think that was his argument.
Posted by civiero 3 weeks ago
Instigator took the con position then posted an ambiguous Round 1 post where I believe he was attempting to restate the topic of the debate but it instead came across as if that was his position.

Contender then took the pro side but argued the con position.

This debate is a bit confused, I think.