Conspiracy_Theory
smileydodge

In relation to video games, it is wrong to tag people as a "nerd" by what game they play.

Started: 10/20/2011 Category: Technology

Conspiracy_Theory

Con

As Con, I encourage Pro to also take all other variables into consideration other than what is being played, as I will as well.

3 Rounds - 72 Hours to argue
5,000 characters

Good luck.
smileydodge

Pro

For this debate I would like to clarify the points I will be making.
1. When you play video games of any sort you are submitting yourself to anything that people may want to say to you or about you during, before, or even after the gameplay.
2. People have their own opinions. It may not be the nicest thing to judge someone upon the game they play and call them a "dork", and I do not think that is right to say, but hey! America is a free country.
3. If people are mean to you that doesn't mean you should be mean back. I'm not saying that you can't be mean back, but try being the bigger person. Maybe they will learn to not treat other people in a bad way if they see how even though they may be being rude to you, you are still kind back. Thank you for debating. I look forward to see your next argument.
Conspiracy_Theory

Con

Thank you Pro for taking the time to participate in this debate. Good Luck,

I quote: "you are submitting yourself to anything that people may want to say to you or about you during, before, or even after the gameplay."

As I understand it, you are stating that by playing video games, you are subjecting yourself to these rude comments. However, with this statement you are neither proving your position nor disproving mine. Just because you are subjecting yourself to these comments by playing video games does not mean someone is justified in tagging you as a "nerd" or "dork".

I quote: "and I do not think that is right to say, but hey! America is a free country."

By saying you do not think it is right to say (correct me if I'm wrong), you proved my point in which these tags and names are wrong.

Examples

I'm going to list out a few games as examples:
·         World of Warcraft
·         Runescape
·         Dungeons and Dragons
These games are usually referred to as the “nerd games”. However, if you look at the generic definition of “nerd”, and the contents of the game itself, the opinion should change dramatically.
“Nerd is a term that refers to an intelligent but single-minded person obsessed with a nonsocial hobby or pursuit.” (http://en.wikipedia.org...)
At this point I’d like to link you a video of someone who spends his time playing the game World of Warcraft:
I apologize for any inappropriate words said during the video. (Video up top)
Referring to the generic definition of a nerd, people usually describe them as non-social. However, if you listen to what the man in the video talks about, he describes a “fantasy world” in which players have fun together and have a social experience.
These same concepts also go for a vast majority of video games.
“Title” of the game
I put the word title in quotation marks because I’m referring to it as the tag the game itself has. This tag is the typical person’s outlook on the game itself: “Someone who plays (tagged video game) is clearly a nerd because they spend so much time playing it”. The example I provided is one of the main comments I hear all the time when talking about these types of games. However, what they fail to realize is that they are being extremely hypocritical by saying so.
For example: If I play CoD Black Ops hours on end, and begin talking about how someone who plays Runescape hours on end is a nerd, you are contradicting yourself. The person that play’s CoD Black Ops plays the exact same amount of game time as the person who plays Runescape does, so how does that make the Runescape player a nerd and not the CoD player? It’s because of the “title” the typical person give the game, which is morally wrong. 
*******
Thank you for taking time to participate in this debate.

smileydodge

Pro

For this debate I would like to know exactly what you mean when you say, "it is wrong to tag people as 'nerd' by what game they play." I do not know if you mean just judging the person with your thoughts and words or literally tagging them online as a nerd.
In my opinion some could say that people are not only judged by the games they play and called nerds, but games are judged by the people who play them and the games could be known as nerdy games. UrbanDictionary.com gives their own definition of a game nerd. Here is a part of it: "A person who plays video games A LOT." Now I do not know about you, but if someone told me I was someone who played video games a lot, I do not know if I would be that offended.
Now going back to what I said earlier about how I think that some games are judged by the people that play them. If lots of people play a certain video game a lot, they could be considered "game nerds" from the definition we got of a game nerd from UrbanDictionary.com. Not only are the people being tagged as game nerds, but the game (since it is is popular), is being known as a "nerdy game". Using the examples of the games you gave me earlier that you said were "usually considered as the 'nerd games'", I would like to point out how these are pretty popular games (World of Warcraft, Runescape, Dungeons and Dragons). Now since these are popular games and people play them a lot, they are considered nerd games and the people who play them a lot are considered "game nerds" from the previous definition. Therefore not only are these people considered "game nerds", but could also be considered "nerds" from other gamers and people who know that those games are popular. Thank you for listening to my arguments. :)
Conspiracy_Theory

Con

Thank you smileydog for your addition to the debate.

********

"For this debate I would like to know exactly what you mean when you say, "it is wrong to tag people as 'nerd' by what game they play.""

Let me explain my position a little more: When I say "it is wrong to tag someone as a nerd", I'm suggesting that it is wrong to look at someone and classify them as a nerd. For example: You just found out that someone you know plays World of Warcraft. Since the game World of Warcraft has a history of "nerds" playing that game, as a stereotype, you look at that person as a nerd.

"In my opinion some could say that people are not only judged by the games they play and called nerds, but games are judged by the people who play them and the games could be known as nerdy games."

The way I see it (based on the above quote), you look at the situation as if the game is already a "nerdy game", and thus making the people who play that game nerds. However, your interpretation is incorrect.
  • Go back to 2004, when the game WoW (World of Warcraft) was first released.
  • Go back to 2004, when the game Doom 3 was released.
Relate those two games, both of which released at the same time. Dropping all stereotypes towards either of those games, can you please explain to me how WoW could be looked at as a nerdy game and not Doom 3? WoW became, as you call it, a nerdy game because the people with tags (stereotypes) as nerds began to play the game. If people were not tagged as nerdy, there would not be nerdy games. If there were no nerdy games, the generic definition of a nerd would change. If the generic definition of a nerd changes, then stereotypes against them would not be so degrading.

I quote twice:

"UrbanDictionary.com gives their own definition of a game nerd. Here is a part of it: "A person who plays video games A LOT."

" Now I do not know about you, but if someone told me I was someone who played video games a lot, I do not know if I would be that offended."

First off, I don't look at Urbandictionary.com as a reliable source when searching for a stereotype. This is because with a website as such where a page cannot be edited by anyone, you only get one person's definition of that particular term, in this case, nerd. Where as Wikipedia, multiple people edit, therefore you get multiple opinions from multiple people. Second, "I do not know if I would be that offended." Some people do not mind being called a nerd (in some cases use it as a compliment), but logically I would have to say a majority of gamers either don't want that tag, or are willing to defend themselves as to why they are not (see video again for defense).

"Now since these are popular games and people play them a lot, they are considered nerd games and the people who play them a lot are considered "game nerds" from the previous definition. Therefore not only are these people considered "game nerds, but could also be considered "nerds" from other gamers and people who know that those games are popular."".

This quote really caught my attention for this reason: Every day millions of people play games such as World of Warcraft and Runescape, and are classified as nerds for doing so. However, millions of people every day play games such as Call of Duty, Halo, and Battlefield, yet these people aren't looked at as nerds because the people who play them usually aren't any of these: Unatractive, antisocial, and single-minded (http://en.wikipedia.org...). To me this seems completely stereotypical and wrong.

*******

Thank you Pro for participating in the debate.

Vote Con
smileydodge

Pro

smileydodge forfeited this round.
Posted by Conspiracy_Theory 5 years ago
Conspiracy_Theory
My argument stands. Vote Con.