boognish
V5RED

In science, a theory is a weaker explanation of a phenomenon than a law.

boognish

Con

Round 1: Definitions and acceptance.
Round 2: Opening arguments from each side.
Rounds 3 and 4: Rebuttals and new arguments.
Round 5: Rebuttals and recap of each side's arguments. No new arguments.

For this debate, the following definitions will be used:

Fact: In science, an observation that has been repeatedly confirmed and for all practical purposes is accepted as "true." Truth in science, however, is never final and what is accepted as a fact today may be modified or even discarded tomorrow.

Hypothesis: A tentative statement about the natural world leading to deductions that can be tested. If the deductions are verified, the hypothesis is provisionally corroborated. If the deductions are incorrect, the original hypothesis is proved false and must be abandoned or modified. Hypotheses can be used to build more complex inferences and explanations.

Law: A descriptive generalization about how some aspect of the natural world behaves under stated circumstances.

Theory: In science, a well-substantiated explanation of some aspect of the natural world that can incorporate facts, laws, inferences, and tested hypotheses.[1]

1. http://ncse.com...
V5RED

Pro

I thought I was accepting as con, I often get mixed up when someone posts a title that is the opposite of their position. I do not agree with the proposition and cannot un-accept, but I can try to play devil's advocate even though the words are literally defined such that the proposition is false.
boognish

Con

If you know of a way that I can delete the debate, I'll do it. If not, I guess we'll have to just have to let it play out. I'll not bother to argue my position.
V5RED

Pro

Sadly I am not able to withdraw. I am sorry for wasting the debate space. I had prepared an argument(that I think is wrong, but it was a bit viable) in case you tried to hold me to the fact that I accepted, but you were quite gracious in this circumstance. I thank you for that.
V5RED

Pro

Once again, I apologize for my stupidity and wasting your time.
Posted by boognish 1 year ago
boognish
I didn't think that I'd actually have to state this, but please do not vote on this "debate." Pro accepted in error, and neither side was interested in carrying on a sham debate. If anything, vote Pro since I, Con, conceded first in Rnd 2 and couldn't care less about my win/loss record.
Posted by MagicAintReal 1 year ago
MagicAintReal
Yeah, people have also been conversationally using the term theory in place of the word "hunch"...like in high school kids might say "I have a theory they might like each other and start dating"
Yeah theories are graduation points for claims about reality, not just hunches.
Posted by boognish 1 year ago
boognish
Unfortunately it's not just an American phenomenon. While Canada doesn't seem to have the same level of science denial as the US, I still often have discussions with other Canadians in which they refer to something (usually evolution) as "just a theory." What people don't realize is that when they say that something is just a theory, they are saying that it is "just" the best explanation we have. An explanation that isn't refuted by any evidence whatsoever.
Posted by MagicAintReal 1 year ago
MagicAintReal
Yeah, I hate how, in the American public school system, they teach that there is some hierarchical difference between theory and law...theories incorporate laws.

Law just means it's plainly observable, while theory means the explanation for the plainly observable is founded in fact.