In terms of critical and audience acclaim, is The Godfather the greatest movie ever made ?

Started: 11/16/2014 Category: Movies

Despite the godfather not being my favourite film of all time (it is one of them though) I have accumulated enough information from places such as Rottentomatoes, metacritic, IMDB and other critics reviews from the internet, magazines and other sources of media to come to a conclusion that Francis Ford Coppola's The Godfather is the highest rated movie of all time. Can anyone prove me wrong and give me a movie that is even more acclaimed and higher rated.

Accepted. Because this debate is highly based off of opinions, I'll go off of rewards.

Let's compare the rewards between the two.

My movie is: Schindler's List

The big rewards for it are as followed:

Oscars: 7
Oscar Nominations: 12
BAFTA Awards: 6
BAFTA Nominations: 12
Golden Globes: 3
Golden Globe Nominations: 6

A total of 80 reward wins, and 26 nominations.

Let's see the Godfather's big rewards:

Oscars: 3
Oscar Nominations: 11
BAFTA Awards: 0
BAFTA Nominations: 4
Golden Globes: 6
Golden Globe Nominations: 8

A total of 33 reward wins, and 19 nominations.

I really do not see why most sites give it a better rating when Schindler's list obviously pleased the critics and the people watching it.

I just think it is a very inspiring film of what happened during WWII and how it was like when the Nazis attacked. It was a very cruel sight, but it is a very interesting story.

If you like the Godfather better, vote for Pro, but if you go off of the critics and awards, I suggest you vote for me.

Posted by Gabe1e 1 year ago
That may be true, but overall, Schindler's list had more awards, and as I said, I have no idea why they gave it that high of a rating.
Posted by TheTaxiDriver 1 year ago
Hmm Well on metacritic The Godfather has a 100/100 and since it has no actual proper ranking it makes it one of the best and an average user score of 9.0 whereas Schindler's list has 93/100 from critics and 8.9 from users. On IMDB it stayed number one longer than any other film until shawshank slipped ahead. Like metacritic Rottentomatoes has no real ranking system either so EndarkenedRationalist your point is kind of invalid but going on the godfather has a 100% from 81 critics and 98% from the audience and Schindler's list has 97% on both fields. See where I am going in ? In General The Godfather ALWAYS keeps coming up as one of the best if not the best. It depends what is faced that year in the categories it was in SO finally awards have changed so I don't think it is fully fair to base it off awards if they never faced each other.
Posted by EndarkenedRationalist 1 year ago
Easy win. I just popped in to all those named sources, and not one of them lists the Godfather as the #1 movie.
Posted by dsjpk5 1 year ago
Very good insight from BOTH of you
Posted by 9spaceking 1 year ago
yeah....Godfather is pretty much the best if that's what you call "best". Even its sequel, or Raiders, or even Shawshank Redemption, cannot match up to Godfather. Planning to watch Godfather when I have time.
Vote Placed by TK57 1 year ago
Reasons for voting decision: I dont think either of them are the greatest movie of all time but Con clearly won the agrument.