cloebowie
gators43776

In the End, Was Rudolph Accepted for His Red Nose?

cloebowie

Con

This debate is whether Rudolph was ever really accepted for his red nose or not. I can tell you why he wasn't, and you can tell me why he was.

I understand the moral of the story is suppose to show that it's okay to be different, but what the story actually portrays is that it's okay to be different if you're different in a way that others can use to their advantage. The story explains that Rudolph was never wanted until he was needed, meaning it wasn't Rudolf's nose in itself that was accepted but the light in which his nose provided.

Resource(s):
The plot of the movie.
The lyrics to the song.

Make the best debater win.
gators43776

Pro

I think Rudolph was accepted for his red nose because in the song it says 'Then how all the Reindeer loved him as they shouted with glee!' So I think when they saw how Rudolph's red nose was useful they liked him and accepted it.
cloebowie

Con

It's like a young woman disdaining an old man's marriage proposal to her, only to be fond of luxury and accept the proposal after discovering he's wealthy and able to spoil her. The young woman did not accept the old man for his old age but for the money that came with his old age, just as Rudolph was not accepted for his red nose but for the light that came with his red nose. The reindeers in the story are no different than the young woman in the scenario I've created.

Unless one validates the young woman's love for the old man, one cannot validate the reindeers' love for Rudolph without contradicting oneself.

This isn't to say that the young woman couldn't have loved the old man and had been a good wife to him, nor is it to say the reindeers couldn't have loved Rudolph and had been a good friend to him but that the young woman wouldn't have been, just as the reindeers wouldn't have been, if it wasn't to their advantage.
gators43776

Pro

But they still ended up accepting him! If a kid at your School said he could do a back flip and you keep making fun of him and then he does it and then you think he's cool that's exactly what happened in Rudolph the red nosed reindeer you did not say that they were friends you said they accepted them!
cloebowie

Con

As much as I do love that analogy and see the comparison there, it's a little off, because there's a difference between underestimating someone and excluding someone.

Rudolph was socially rejected. They never let Rudolph join in any reindeer games, as the lyrics to the song tell.

They didn't accept Rudolph for his own sake but for the sake of Christmas. If it wasn't foggy that night, they wouldn't have needed the brightness of Rudolph's red nose to guide Santa Claus' sleigh, and they may have never accepted it as a nose, for they only accepted it as a tool.

I understand they accepted his nose in one way or another, as I had even expressed in the opening round, but the debate is whether they really accepted it (if you review the introduction), meaning if they accepted it for the right reasons or not. I don't think it was right that Rudolph had to have been a hero to be respected, for he was a being nonetheless, in which I think deserves respect in its own right.

They accepted Rudolph after he had done something right, but they should have accepted him before, because he had done nothing wrong. Rudolph never presented himself as a threat to them, so there was no reason for them to keep distance from him, other than to be mean, I suppose.

I just think the story indicates that, if you're different, in some way, it's in order for you to prove yourself and win your bullies over, when really, it shouldn't be, and it's not. I think the story gives a false impression of reality and morality, and although the story didn't affect me negatively as a child, I understand how it could, and just wanted to put that out there.

Make the best debater win.
gators43776

Pro

Ok I think you are gonna win because you have some really good arguments! Yes Rudolph was socially rejected and if it wasn't foggy he wouldn't have been loved. But that's like saying if a sports team won 90-3 and saying oh if the winning team didn't get all those points they would lost but it did happen! So what you're saying is that if it wasn't foggy he wouldn't have been loved but you didn't say anything about that in the beginning so technically he was accepted for his red nose.
Posted by cloebowie 1 year ago
cloebowie
And until they needed its brightness, it would've been rejected just the same.
Posted by philochristos 1 year ago
philochristos
I agree with you. it wasn't the colour of his nose that gained him acceptance, but the brightness of his nose. If his nose had been just as bright, but green, he would've been accepted just the same.
Posted by cloebowie 1 year ago
cloebowie
Thank you!

I'm glad someone thinks so.
Posted by MagicAintReal 1 year ago
MagicAintReal
This is an awesome topic!
Nice work.