In the Realm of Economics, Freedom Ought to be Valued Above Equity

Started: 2/7/2015 Category: Economics

Affirmative: New Ideas

How would you like Economic Equity? Economic Equity is a horrible thing. If We Had Economic Equity we will not be having the computer we have today because of the Equity . We will not get the same food as we do now because the Inflation will be higher than now. Economic freedom is The Way to go looking through the lens of Technology Advancement
Today we will be looking at the Definitions of Economic Equity, Economic Freedom, and the Technology. Then will move on to How Economic Freedom is Better than Economic Equity looking through the lens of Technology Advancement and New Ideas. Today I Resolve that In the Realm of Economics, Freedom ought to be valued above equity Looking through the Lens of Technology Advancement and New Ideas.
Let"s Start Off our debate Round with a few Definition which are:
1.Economic Freedom: Economic freedom is the fundamental right of every person to control his or her own labor and property. In an economically free society, individuals are free to work, produce, consume, and invest in any way they please, with that freedom both protected by the state and unconstrained by the state. (
2.Economic Equity: A distribution of assets, resources, and tax liability among the people in a nation or society that is considered fair and just. While some believe that economic equity requires that all citizens pay the same amount, others believe that the amount paid should depend on the amount that each citizen can afford to pay without undue hardship.(
3.Technology: the branch of knowledge that deals with the creation and use of technical means and their interrelation with life, society, and the environment, drawing upon such subjects as industrial arts, engineering, applied science, and pure science. (

Now that we looked at the Definition Lets move onto my value which is
Value: Innovation and Free Trade
I hold this Value because if we don"t Economic Freedom, Then companies will go bankrupt because of the Competition in the market. For Example If Apple was going to be the first one to make the Hololens which is like you play games in the reality of your home like they are Holo-graphed, Then Mircosoft can"t make it because of the unspoken Rules of Economic Equity but that wasn"t case. Because they did have Economic Freedom and chose to make it. Now they are in Competition with the google glasses which is the same thing as the a holo-gram. Anyway the point is if we didn"t have Economic freedom, then we will not be able to afford technology or Advance our Technology or Have the enprenutuership that we have now.
Now Which do you Value More Economic Freedom or Economic Equity?
Now that we covered my value let"s look at my Criterion which is
Criterion: We can Achieve Technology Advancement and New Ideas by Economic Freedom
Why do I have this as my Criterion? Well I will do think if we had economic Equity we wouldn"t have Achieved Technology Advancement and New Ideas, Which can be Proven by my contentions.

Contention 1: Technology Advancement is a good thing because it can grow the Economy and Disprove the Theory of Economic Equity
For Example, If I was a part of the Congress, I wouldn"t pass any laws that will lose our rights to get Technology Advancement
According to " Technology represents man"s attempt to make life easier. Technological advances improve people"s standard of living, increase leisure time, help eliminate poverty, and lead to a greater variety of products. Progress allows people more time to spend on higher level concerns such as character development, love, religion, and the perfection of one"s soul. If people resisted technological change, they would be expressing their satisfaction with existing levels of disease, hunger, and privation. In addition, without experimentation and change, human existence would be boring; human fulfillment is dependent on novelty, surprise, and creativity. An innovative idea from one man not only contributes to the progress of others, but also creates conditions permitting people to advance even further. Ideas interact in unexpected ways, and innovations are frequently used in unforeseen applications. Technological progress involves a series of stages consisting of experimentation, competition, errors, and feedback." ( This Article was by Edward Younkins who is professor of accountancy and business administration at Wheeling Jesuit University in Wheeling, West Virginia." He published Technology, Progress, and Freedom in January 01, 2000
Contention 2: New Ideas can Spur Economic Growth and Freedom.
Have you had the Strangest Ideas? For Example the Imaginers that work and create stuff for Disney World which can spur on Economic Growth and Freedom.
According to Commerce, "Generally, when people think about economic growth, they think in terms of big ideas: workforce development, increasing exports, foreign-direct investment. Most people don"t think about sewer systems or roads " the hard infrastructure that enables communities to achieve those big idea goals. The critical infrastructure that are the building blocks to economic growth are a major focus for the Economic Development Administration (EDA), and I was fortunate to be able to announce EDA grants for such projects in Massachusetts this week." ( this was Published in April 24, 2014. This Article was called Spurring Economic Growth through Infrastructure and Planning
Contention 3: Free Enterprise Helps the Economy Remain Free
According to the U.S Chambers of Commence, "Free enterprise has been the foundation of America"s economy and society for more than 200 years. It"s been the platform for unprecedented prosperity, opportunity, and advancement for generations. It"s the reason our nation remains a beacon of hope for people around the world who wish for a better life."

Contention 4: International Trade will help the Economy to Grow
According to The Heritage Foundation, "International trade is the framework upon which American prosperity rests. Free trade policies have created a level of competition in today's open market that engenders continual innovation and leads to better products, better-paying jobs, new markets, and increased savings and investment. Free trade enables more goods and services to reach American consumers at lower prices, thereby substantially increasing their standard of living." (

Contention 5: Free trade has the Benefits to Grow the Economy and Protect Economic Freedom
As I was looking for Evidence, I found that The Benefits of Free Trade According to Heritage" "The positive effects of an open market are clearly evident in the stellar growth of the U.S. economy over the past decade. Since 1990, the U.S. economy has grown by more than 23 percent, adding more than $2.1 trillion to the nation's gross domestic product (GDP) and raising the wealth of the average American consumer by more than $5,500.[2] The economy responded well to the expansion of trade that occurred after the signing of the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) in 1993 and the establishment of the World Trade Organization (WTO) in 1995 as a forum for settling trade disputes. For example:
"Since 1990, imports of real goods and services have increased 115 percent.
"The number of full-time jobs has increased by 13.4 percent since 1991. The share of the labor force that works part-time because of an inability to find a full-time job is less than 3 percent.
"As of July 2000, the unemployment rate had hovered within one-tenth of a point from 4 percent for almost a year--the lowest rate in 30 years. [3]
"The stellar record of growth has continued in the United States at the end of the decade as well: Between 1998 and 1999 alone, total employment increased by 2 million. [4]
To be sure, many more policymakers today acknowledge the benefits of free trade than when Congress passed the Tariff Act of 1930 (the Smoot-Hawley Act). The devastation wrought by these protectionist tariffs led successive U.S. administrations to support free trade after World War II. Their grand vision of a world comprised of nations at peace who traded freely among themselves for the prosperity of all has animated U.S. foreign policy and invigorated efforts to facilitate the opening of markets in every region." ( This article was called The benefits of Free trade, Also was published in August 25, 2000 by Denise Froning is a former Trade Policy Analyst in the Center for International Trade and Economics at The Heritage Foundation.

In Conclusion: To Recap, My Value is Technology Advancement and New Ideas which can be Achieved by Economic Freedom. In my first Contention I stated that Technology Advancements are good for our nation because it can make our Economy Stronger. In My Second Contention I stated that New Ideas can Spur on Economic Growth. In my Third Contention I stated that Free enterprise Helps the people to have New Ideas and Help Advance our Technology.
In My Forth contention I stated also that Free Trade will Help the Economy to grow. In My fifth Contention I state that It was Benefits of Free Trade, We You have free trade you will have the Growth of the Economy and still have kept Economic Freedom. See All these Contentions Lead to Economic Freedom Because when you have Economic Freedom you Save lives and Help Grow Job.

Given that the PRO speaker has failed to set up any structure or rules for the debate, I will simply begin by refuting the Contentions and logic presented.

A fundamental fault in the logic provided is the failure to provide any real point of contention or comparison between PRO's value of freedom in economics to the value of equity in economics. PRO does just fine at proving that freedom is good, but that simply isn't the thesis; the thesis is that freedom ought to be valued above equity.

Take a look at the first Contention: 'Technology Advancement is a good thing because it can grow the Economy and Disprove the Theory of Economic Equity'. We know from PRO's earlier definitions that equity is simply economic fairness. If PRO's own definition is correct, then equity is helpful to technological advancement, not a hindrance of it. After all, a more fair system allows more people to compete, meaning that more ideas enter into the marketplace. Technological advancement is a value upheld by both freedom and equity: thus, it provides no relevant point of comparison for this debate. The logic provided in Contention 1 provides no reason to believe that fairness is less valuable than freedom.

Contention 2 hinges upon much of the arguments from C1, but while were talking about economic growth, its important to note that equity can help improve growth. As the International Monetary Fund notes:

"Equity and growth can be complementary: some policies that promote equity--particularly investment in human capital--can boost growth in the long run and thus alleviate extreme poverty, increase social cohesion, and reduce the scope for political conflict." (

Clearly, if a strengthened economy is so important, equity should be of high value.

The third contention is of how Free Enterprise helps the economy. Again, this provides no point of comparison, as it only shows that economic freedom is good, but not necessarily that it is superior to equity. Indeed, an economy where all players are on a fair, level playing field is much of the essence behind freedom, as such a situation allows all people to fully exercise their economic potential.

Contention 4: As far as helping the economic grow, equity does just that. Consider the evidence provided earlier (and other empirical results:,

Since Contention 5 is essentially a reiteration of C3 and C4, such arguments have already been covered, in that equity benefits growth and improves the economy. None of these points really serve to establish that equity is somehow inferior to economic freedom. However, I do think it's interesting that PRO would rely on NAFTA to prove benefits of free trade, given that NAFTA utterly failed at its central goals of reducing trade deficits and providing jobs for Americans. Our trade deficits with Canada and Mexico multiplied by over 5 times over 2 decades of NAFTA implementation, and according to the US government's Trade Adjustment Assistance program, roughly 720,000 jobs were lost during that period. ( Hardly much of a success story.

In conclusion, PRO provides no real point of contention between economic freedom and economic equity. Instead, evidence and logic indicate that freedom and equity are both values that achieve ends such as economic growth.

My Oppenent is saying that Equity is a good thing. But Equity is Horrible thing. Take world war 1, World war 2, the Civil War. The Civil war was to make "All men Created equal" are founding fathers created the Constitution so that we could have Economic Freedom. What about Taxation without Representation" there are countless examples of How equity is fallen. But the truth is that Economic Freedom can't exist without some Equity but not to the extent of the Redistribution of the wealth. So if you vote for the the Pro's side you are going to get a strong Economy. But Innovation can foster freedom. But the End the Long term Economic Freedom has been proven in past generations and Hayek, Mises and Milton Friedman all has proven for Economic Freedom. The Opponent didn't really talk about the examples of how Economic Equity can Succeed.

Well, since PRO has failed to respond to any of my arguments, I guess I won't spend time discussing them.

In PRO's argument, he claims that equity is horrible. However, just exactly how fairness is 'horrible' remains to be seen. PRO offers the examples of both World Wars and the Civil War as examples of this. I fail to see how these examples prove that the principle of fairness in economics is s bad. The World Wars where not fought because of economic equity, and the end result of the Civil War, the abolition of slavery, was hardly a bad thing.

PRO gives another non-sequitur with the example of "Taxation without Representation." Taxation without representation is not economic equity in the slightest. On the contrary, it is highly unfair. PRO also claims that the Constitution was created to protect our economic freedoms. However, the founding fathers spoke just as highly of equity. After all, the Declaration of Independence tells us that "all men are created equal," which is the entire idea behind having an equitable society.

In conclusion, PRO fails to prove that freedom is superior to equity. Instead, he provides examples that don't even come close to proving his claims. As it stands, economic freedom ought not to be valued above economic equity.
Posted by Galaca 1 year ago
I am going to start doing the NCFCA this coming year
Posted by love4debate2 1 year ago
which regional were you from in the ncfca debate leagure?
Posted by debatr1234 1 year ago
I did NCFCA for like 4 years, went to nats, all that stuff. All that LD stuff was from coaching some people in club.
Posted by love4debate2 1 year ago
I am Regional V of The NCFCA
Posted by love4debate2 1 year ago
why did you quit you are 16 years old the least you could do the NCFCA LD since u know alot about the topic with your sources
Posted by love4debate2 1 year ago
When did u quit, I am in Ncfca and this the topic that we are doing.
Posted by debatr1234 1 year ago
i used to
Posted by love4debate2 1 year ago
Do you do the NCFCA?