jjx1
vmpire321

In the United States, current income disparities threaten democratic ideals.

vmpire321
Started: 12/1/2011 Category: Economics

jjx1

Con

The first round is for acceptance.
vmpire321

Pro

Well, acceptance it is then.

I'd like to thank my opponent for this chance to debate! Hopefully, we'll both learn from this experience.

But I will like to add some definitions before we begin.

==DEFINITIONS==

As the PRO side of this debate, I hold the right to define this resolution.
I define...

1) Income Disparities as "differences in the amount of money people earn, in which they have to at least earn some amount of money."

2) Threaten as "to be a menace or source of danger to"

3) Democratic Ideals
as our current beliefs as a democratic state

jjx1

Con

jjx1 forfeited this round.
vmpire321

Pro

o.0! A forfeit?

==Arguments==

1) Burden Of Proof
-- As the Pro side of this debate, I hold the burden of proof. So, I shall devote this argument to prove that inequalities do exist...(lol this is obvious) According to ABC News, While the top 1% population's income went up by 275% in the last 30 years, the middle class's income levels only went up by 40% and the poor class only went up by 18%. This is solid proof that there exists an inequality between income levels in America.http://abcnews.go.com......

Further more, according to the New York Times, 46.2 million people are living below the poverty line, the highest number in 52 years.http://www.nytimes.com......

2) Influence
-- Everyone has heard of this before. "Money talks" Guess where else money talks? Within our political system. Although the US's foundation includes equality and equal voices among the people, that is simply no longer truthful. The rich and the poor simply no longer have equal voices. The rich, often with plenty of money to spare, can afford to campaign. They can afford air time, advertisements, attack ads, and they can afford to skip work. Nowadays air times can cost sometimes up to or over $468,000 for just 30 seconds of airtime on some popular T.V. channels. Now I ask you this. Who gets their opinions heard? A group of wealthy people paying for advertisements or a group of poor people struggling to survive? The answer is clear here. One group of people have a bigger voice than another. This is a clear violation of our democratic ideals of fairness and equality.

3) Education--

1) People who are educated to college level have a much higher chance of voting.
2) Poverty hinders and affects a person's education.
3) Therefore, those living in poverty are less likely to vote.
This simply furthers my point on fairness. Are these elections fair? Poor and struggling people often don't vote. Consider this. It is perfectly fine for a rich person to ask if they can leave work and go vote, since they can afford the slight loss in income and their bosses often don't care (if they have any lol) However, it is far less likely that someone who is desperate and falling into poverty will go vote, because they need the money and it is probable that they are working labor and that their boss is a lot less accepting.

4)Mental Health--
A study by the APA has shown that there is a correlation between a person's socioeconomic status and a person's risk for mental disability and psychiatric hospitalization. Furthermore, this was true no matter what kind of economic hardship the person went through.
http://mentalhealth.about.com...;

5)Unfair Tax Cuts-- The Rich are recieving unfair tax breaks, and in turn, the middle class and the poor class are paying more to make up. Is this fair? Step back and ask yourself, is the government treating everyone equally? This is another violation of democratic ideals. Our country was founded upon the principles of equality and fairness.
http://www.aflcio.org...
http://www.faireconomy.org...;

====
That's all I will put for now.... Hopefully, CON will respond.
jjx1

Con

jjx1 forfeited this round.
vmpire321

Pro

Another forfeit... Extend my arguments... :)
jjx1

Con

jjx1 forfeited this round.
vmpire321

Pro

Tsk tsk tsk....

You know who to vote for.

1. Conduct goes to me, since CON forfeited most of his rounds.
2. Arguments also goes to me, as CON made no arguments of his own or responded to any of mine.
3. Sources should be given to me, since I was the only one to use any (CON didn't have the chance to post any)

;D Please vote pro.
Posted by vmpire321 5 years ago
vmpire321
i'm in
Vote Placed by kyro90 5 years ago
kyro90
jjx1vmpire321Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Kinda Obvious...
Vote Placed by PeacefulChaos 5 years ago
PeacefulChaos
jjx1vmpire321Tied
Reasons for voting decision: What Pro said in the last round. With the exception of conduct, because he told me what to vote, lol.
Vote Placed by 16kadams 5 years ago
16kadams
jjx1vmpire321Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro made an argument, but since I know con will get slaughtered by later votes, he gets a ahead-of time mercy point