In the United States, juveniles charged with violent felonies ought to be treated as adults

The full resolution is: In the United States, juveniles charged with violent felonies ought to be treated as adults in the criminal justice system.

Following LD debate standards, the pro must first deliver his own speech and the round will be 3 rounds long with two Neg speeches and 3 Aff speeches with the Aff being first and last, assuming the aff is willing. I'd greatly appreciate for this debate to be conducted as fully as possible under LD debate standards. I thank my opponent in advance.

I read and reread what my opponent wrote many times but there's a good chance that I will make at least on trivial mistake ; I hope my opponent and readers can forgive me, see the accidental nature of it and above all focus on the arguments themselves. Nevertheless, I hope to make no mistakes and enjoy this debate.

1.1."Not fully grown or developed; young."
1.2."Generally this refers to people between the ages of 14 and 17. They lose their juvenile status on their 18th birthday."
"an offense, as murder or burglary, of graver character than those called misdemeanors, esp. those commonly punished in the U.S. by imprisonment for more than a year."

We are talking about USA and not Europe or Asia or the world. Now the USA has very violent juveniles:
"There are currently about seventy million Americans under the age of 18, or a quarter of the total US population. Juvenile crime statistics report that 2.3 million juveniles were arrested in 2002. This accounts for 17 percent of all arrests and 15 to 25 percent of all violent crimes. According to juvenile crime statistics, murder accounted for five percent of violent crimes committed by juveniles, 12 percent for rape, 14 percent for robbery, and 12 percent for aggravated assault."
This may come in handy but at the moment I won't elaborate.

::Argument 1 ::
Cause and effect. Every action has a consequence and while a 5 year old may not know that, a 14 year old will. Yes, I am aware that a 14 year old isn't as mature as an adult but we're talking about a very serious violent crime ! Surely, you can't say that a 14 year old wouldn't know that its wrong or that he thought it was no different from stealing a candy from the local shop.

::Argument 2::
Is a violent attack especially a felonious violent act the doing of a juvenile ? No. Obviously the child isn't pretending to be under 18, however, he is acting like an adult. To steal candy, to insult someone, even to bully someone is encompassed by the mind of a child but to commit such crime one must start to think like an adult. That is to say ones innocence disappears with the act.

That would be all

TheBear forfeited this round.

TheBear forfeited this round.

Vote Pro
Posted by vardas0antras 5 years ago
Sure, everything is clear ; Ill have my round posted tomorrow.
Posted by TheBear 5 years ago
You have to establish definitions for the key words in the resolution, otherwise I get to establish them myselves without any debate on how legitimate they are. I could define a juvenile as a, 18-year old, and you'd be screwed. After that, establish a value and value criterion. Finally, create some contentions that show the advantage of your side through the value criterion. Your contentions (arguments) need warrants (evidence either analytical or empirical)
Posted by vardas0antras 5 years ago
No I meant to ask what I'm supposed to do in round 1, its a bit unclear.
Posted by TheBear 5 years ago
In LD debate style. That would entail an over-arching, always good value and a value criterion to achieve that value. LD debate highly incorporates different perspectives on what is moral and what ought occurr as well as empirical facts to prove a moral guideline is being broken. If you're unsure that you can supply an educational debate on this topic, I'd appreciate you to not accept.
Posted by vardas0antras 5 years ago
Could you elaborate on how you want me to debate ?
Vote Placed by XStrikeX 5 years ago