username03
Marauder

In the United States, organized political lobbying does more harm than good

Marauder

username03

Con

I'll let whoever accepts the challenge go first...
Marauder

Pro

I shall accept this challenge.

First let us start out by defining what lobbyist are. A lobbyist is a person who preaches the gospel of a particular political view.

when the public votes at the ballet box, they have in mind whatever lobbyist views collected by the platform of the party of the candidate they vote for. exp: pro-life, pro-gun, anti-gay, stingy spending go with republican. people vote for a collage of views, and their is know room for mixing and matching. However some candidates as an individual collect a lobbyist different from their own party. for example in Virginia it is very common that a democrat will collect the NRA as a lobbyist or the sportsman to be pro gun. However the public is not intelligent enough to pay attention to that so when they go to vote for Mark Warner or Jim Webb or Rick Boucher they have in mind they are voting for the collage of views to be represented for them held by the democratic party.

They ideal behind the voting system is that whoever the majority chooses to vote for best represents the public because of the majority feels the one they cast their vote for holds their views. Now whether or not the majority view can be said best represents the public is another debate. But for this debate we can see that political lobbying poisons the voting system because people elect representatives who in fact do not hold their views. poisoning the foundation for how we govern our lives poisons our freedom.

Our freedom being in danger is philosophically to be the greatest harm in the US.

As for comparing this to all the good lobbying does us, unless my opponent can shed some light on any existing good it does we shall consider in this debate that their is no good. If my opponent can show some good I will deal with debating that in the next round. As long as their no good given to us to consider, even if the bad I describe is not truly harmful we at minimum can say the harm and the good are the same.
username03

Con

username03 forfeited this round.
Marauder

Pro

My opponent has not posted an argument for some reason. I can speculate all want as to why, very likely being wrong. the only thing I could accomplish bias the view of the voters that forfeiting this round was pour conduct and thus increase the chances that I would get 1 extra point out of the vote. But that wouldn't be very fair because they may have truly not had access to a computer for the last twenty-four hours due to unpredictable circumstances that did not occur to username03 when they set the time limit to 1 day to post your next argument.
What I can say is the position they are in right now. She has removed any opportunity to respond to a rebuttal of mine to her argument because their is only one round left for her to put her entire case for why organized political lobbying doesn't do more harm than good.
As for me, I should use the remainder of this round for speaking of other bad things about lobbying.
If we should try to change the mentality the voting citizens (an unfathomable task) to deal with how lobbying affects of elected officials, the truth of what we vote for will remained poisoned. Because the change in mentality would naturally mean paying attention to what the lobbyist speak for rather than the politicians themselves. But because of the collage collected by the two main parties I spoke of it remains confusing. The NRA is a lobby for Gun rights, not other rep. issues like thrifty spending or the death penalty. And yet two often they act like they lobby these other rep. issues.
during the 2008 election they were groups that were formed for the sole purpose of advocating the pro-life stance going out speaking for national security. Because they wanted the republican to win and many speculators thought National Security his strong point may have had something to do with that. but they weren't advocating the thing the group exist for and thus we can not know what is representing us by viewing the lobbying.
username03

Con

username03 forfeited this round.
Marauder

Pro

Marauder forfeited this round.
Posted by debatergreat 7 years ago
debatergreat
I don't really understand Marauder's contention. I mean, why does organized political lobbying do more harm then? You completely avoided the question and I feel bad for username03....Just kidding.

Maruder, you are my hero!
Posted by Marauder 7 years ago
Marauder
compleatly understandable. However responding at all I had imagined would still count as desired action.
Posted by username03 7 years ago
username03
Nope, I'm pretty horrible at waiting and kind of don't want to respond to a lot of irrelevant evidence people use sometimes... :)
Posted by Marauder 7 years ago
Marauder
Short amount of time, short amount of characters per round; you dont want a very big debate do you?
Vote Placed by Marauder 7 years ago
Marauder
username03MarauderTied