asiansarentnerdy
AnimeFanTony

In the anime/manga series Death Note, were Light's actions just? (more detailed explanation below)

AnimeFanTony

asiansarentnerdy

Pro

For those of you who have read/watched the Anime/Manga series Death Note, you should already have a basic concept of the idea of the debate. If you haven't, here is the basic plot of the series: A higly intectual boy in college whose name is Light, stumbles upon a Death Note. With the Death Note, you have the ability to kill anyone by picturing their face in your mind, writing their name and cause of death inside of the Death Note. Light decides to use this Death Note to exterminate all the criminals in the world, hoping to create a utopia-like region for all mankind, and become God of the New World. Then Light receives resistance from the police force and his enemy, another very smart guy whose existence is unknown. (He has never shown his face or revealed his true name to anyone, but is simply known as L)

This is the basic idea of the story, and if you have finished the whole series, I would appreciate if you didn't spoil the ending. I have just started the series, but I thought it would be an interesting idea to debate. So, the question remains, Do you think Light's actions are just?
AnimeFanTony

Con

First I would like to thank my opponent for issuing this challenge. I myself am midway through death note and find it quite interesting. Well now onto debate.
Light's actions are clearly unjust for many reasons.
First of all what lets say Light is doing this because he genuinely wanted to better society. He happens to be killing all criminals regardless of the crime. To him if you are a felon you must die. Now his murders might be slightly justified if he only killed criminals on death row but he does not so his actions are not just. Also what happens to someone who was falsely accused and the government was considering appealing his case? Oh no more Light just killed him. And what about people who make mistakes when they are young. For example what if a kid made a mistake and went and committed a robbery with his friends. A stupid mistake of youth yet does he deserve to die? The answer is a definite NO! And still there are white collar crimes. Johnny messed up on his taxes he should die. What type of sick thinking is that. Also he committed criminal acts himself by hacking his dad's computer for a list of criminals to kill.
Additional he is not doing this to better humanity. He is doing this to rule as a god over people only he thinks are worthy. The rest die. He is doing this for his twisted little power trip. He wants to feel good so he thinks if I can create a society were I rule as god maybe I'll feel better. That is why he is killing criminals. So what makes him better than common murder who kills people whom he wants vengeance on. Nothing, in fact the murder would probably be purer as Light kills more people and for no good reason.
That is why I urge a Con ballot.
asiansarentnerdy

Pro

asiansarentnerdy forfeited this round.
AnimeFanTony

Con

My opponent forfeited his round so i have nothing to say except to add that Light was also a criminal himself for resisted law enforcement. Vote CON!
asiansarentnerdy

Pro

I am soo sorry. I had no intentions whatsoever to forfeit...AnimeFanTony would it be too much of a hassle to start another debate? I havn't been on my computer in days!! I'm SOOO sorry!!!
AnimeFanTony

Con

Sure will start another but until them vote con people.
Posted by AnimeFanTony 8 years ago
AnimeFanTony
I have in fact started the series and like it very much. I am saying what I am to win the debate. What I debate I dont always agree with.
Posted by asiansarentnerdy 8 years ago
asiansarentnerdy
Wow...so negative. Maybe you havn't read the series yet? I don't know, but I LOVE the series.
Posted by s0m31john 8 years ago
s0m31john
Light kills Dumbledore.

Wait what, Death Note sucks.
Vote Placed by porkbunlover 8 years ago
porkbunlover
asiansarentnerdyAnimeFanTonyTied