asiansarentnerdy
AnimeFanTony

In the anime/manga series Death Note, were Light's actions just?

AnimeFanTony

asiansarentnerdy

Pro

For those of you who have read/watched the Anime/Manga series Death Note, you should already have a basic concept of the idea of the debate. If you haven't, here is the basic plot of the series: A higly intectual boy in college whose name is Light, stumbles upon a Death Note. With the Death Note, you have the ability to kill anyone by picturing their face in your mind, writing their name and cause of death inside of the Death Note. Light decides to use this Death Note to exterminate all the criminals in the world, hoping to create a utopia-like region for all mankind, and become God of the New World. Then Light receives resistance from the police force and his enemy, another very smart guy whose existence is unknown. (He has never shown his face or revealed his true name to anyone, but is simply known as L)

This is the basic idea of the story, and if you have finished the whole series, I would appreciate if you didn't spoil the ending. I have just started the series, but I thought it would be an interesting idea to debate. So, the question remains, Do you think Light's actions are just?

And I'm SO sorry about last time, AnimeFanTony. I really had not been on my computer in days. I'm soo sorry! If you accept this debate, THANK YOU SO MUCH!
Please forgive me for the forfeit last time, I REALLY did not mean for that to happen.
AnimeFanTony

Con

First I would like to thank my opponent for issuing this challenge. I myself am midway through death note and find it quite interesting. Well now onto debate.
Light's actions are clearly unjust for many reasons.
First of all what lets say Light is doing this because he genuinely wanted to better society. He happens to be killing all criminals regardless of the crime. To him if you are a felon you must die. Now his murders might be slightly justified if he only killed criminals on death row but he does not so his actions are not just. Also what happens to someone who was falsely accused and the government was considering appealing his case? Oh no more Light just killed him. And what about people who make mistakes when they are young. For example what if a kid made a mistake and went and committed a robbery with his friends. A stupid mistake of youth yet does he deserve to die? The answer is a definite NO! And still there are white collar crimes. Johnny messed up on his taxes he should die. What type of sick thinking is that. Also he committed criminal acts himself by hacking his dad's computer for a list of criminals to kill.
Additional he is not doing this to better humanity. He is doing this to rule as a god over people only he thinks are worthy. The rest die. He is doing this for his twisted little power trip. He wants to feel good so he thinks if I can create a society were I rule as god maybe I'll feel better. That is why he is killing criminals. So what makes him better than common murder who kills people whom he wants vengeance on. Nothing, in fact the murder would probably be purer as Light kills more people and for no good reason.
That is why I urge a Con ballot.
asiansarentnerdy

Pro

First of all, I would like to thank AnimeFanTony again for accepting this debate, and apologize again for the forfeit last time.

To make it easier for the reader, I would like to organize my debates into points based on my opponent's arguments.

1) I don't know if this is my mistake, but in the series, Light only murders the serious criminals that commit serious crimes. The only way that Light is even informed of thiese criminals are from the news, and since when did the news report something as minor and insignificant as robbery commited by a youth? To sum it up, Light gets his information about the crimes commited from the news and media. And minor robberies commited by youths and 'white collar' crimes are too insignificant to be reported on the news.

2) And he truly wants to better society. If you did not kill of any of those major mass-murderers and kept them alive, chances are, they are going to keep on murdering innocent citizens of our society. That is why certain punishments such as the death penalty still exist today. Taking away the life of one human being is better than that one human being going around and taking away more lives. That way more killing sprees are prevented.

3) While it is true that he kills off all the bad people to create a utopia and become God of the New World, that is his motivation. For any human being, they would not be enticed to waste all their time trying to rid the world of bad people. But, if they had certain motivation and encouragement, then that is their push factor that makes them want to do their actions. When we judge the action, however, we must look and the final result. The ends vs. the means. And if our world is ridded of criminals and murderers, what more could you ask for?
AnimeFanTony

Con

SPOILER ALERT!!!

1) I don't know how far you are into the series but Light in fact starts killing of all types of criminals. He gets this information by illegally hacking into his dads computer. By hacking into his dad's computer he is able to stay one step ahead of the authorities. Also he eventually starts to kill of minor criminals as well to scare people from committing crimes at all.

2) He does not truly want to better society as he starts to kill people that get in his way. For instance when L has people in the FBI start to follow suspects he not only eventually holds his stalker hostage but he kills all FBI operatives in Japan. The FBI operatives were not going to be taking lives they were just doing their jobs. But as if thats not enough the FBI operative assigned to watching Light has a wife who begins to investigate after her husbands death. She discovers that "Kira" can kill people with other ways out side of heart attacks. Before she can tell this to the investigation team she meets Light. He lies to her to find out about her and why she was at the building. He then has her kill herself but make it so that no one can find her. She and the FBI operatives were innocent yet they got in Lights way and interfered with his plans so he killed them. Later on Light meets a girl with a death note of her own and shinigami eyes so he has her kill of L. He was also innocent.

3) While at first he kill of only bad people he eventually moves on to innocents. (see above arguments). Furthermore as I stated before he only wants to become god for himself. Not to better society.

So as one can see Light's actions were not just at all and he did what he did for himself and himself alone.
asiansarentnerdy

Pro

1) Yes, but using that as a motive for future criminals not to commit crimes anymore is as good a motive as any. Once you commit a crime, you can't erase it. It's there. And whether you've commited it to the extent where other people are harmed or you just robbed a store, you commited a crime. I do oppose Light killing off the minor criminals, but if he does this as an example to influence others not to commit any future crimes, the actions are balanced out, therefore making the action just.

2) In response to your argument about Light killing off anyone who tries to stand in his way, keeping your own survival is the most basic instinct of any human being. While I do not agree with him killing off the people trying to catch him, he is working for a greater cause. And what greater cause could there be than extinguishing the world of all crime and criminals?

3) As I had previously posted in Round 1, every person must have their own intentions for doing certain actions. Those were Light's intentions, to become God of the New World. But, again, we must look at the ends, not the means.

For all these reasons, I affirm that Light's actions were just.
Vote Pro.
AnimeFanTony

Con

1) Light's actions clearly will not stop crime as their are punishments and death penalties in place for crimes yet people still commit them. Light is like an unjust death penalty he's their but fear of him will not stop the crime.

2) But many of these people are not trying to kill Light. Also when some kills another person to survive they still go to jail for manslaughter so the argument that keeping your own survival is the most basic human instinct is foolishness. Also killing innocent people to further your self is most definitely not just.

3) No we must look at the means as well as the ends. For example in a trail the means can determine whether you get 5 years or 50. For example if you hit someone with a car and kill them by accident that is manslaughter and you would not get too long in jail. However if you watch were that person walks everyday and purposely run them down that is considered premeditated first degree and you could end up with a life sentence.

For these reason, I affirm that Light's actions were not just and that he must have had something wrong with his head. Vote Con.
Posted by trendem 8 years ago
trendem
This debate introduced me to Death Note, and it seems deeper than some other anime I've seen! Light's concept of justice really made me stop and think.

From episode 2, after Light Yagami discovers hundreds of fansites devoted to him on the internets, he says:
"Humans are like that... if they were to ask, "Is it wrong to kill bad people?" in school, everyone would get on their high horse and say, "Yes, that's wrong." Of course, that's the correct answer to give. Humans will always seek to maintain appearances in public. But this is what they're really thinking. Even if they're too scared to support me publicly, they can hide behind the anonymity of the internet [in order to support me]. Support for Kira is growing. The innocent are screaming internally, "Go for it, Kira!", while the guilty run and hide in fear."
- Light Yagami (nicknamed Kira).

And episode 2 ends with both Light and L (who is Light's adversary, and represents the Law) shouting "I am Justice!".
Posted by Bnesiba 8 years ago
Bnesiba
guys.. what is "just"?

how do we know if you're arguments are even related to justice if it's not defined?
Vote Placed by Sniper213 7 years ago
Sniper213
asiansarentnerdyAnimeFanTonyTied
Vote Placed by porkbunlover 8 years ago
porkbunlover
asiansarentnerdyAnimeFanTonyTied
Vote Placed by ethanw12 8 years ago
ethanw12
asiansarentnerdyAnimeFanTonyTied
Vote Placed by trendem 8 years ago
trendem
asiansarentnerdyAnimeFanTonyTied
Vote Placed by Maikuru 8 years ago
Maikuru
asiansarentnerdyAnimeFanTonyTied