Tommy.leadbetter
dupdupjones

In the best society we could realistically hope to have, money would be abolished.

Tommy.leadbetter

Pro

Only good debaters here please. First round acceptance.
dupdupjones

Con

I will be arguing that it is unrealistic to expect the abolishment of money to be beneficial to society. Good luck
Tommy.leadbetter

Pro

Just to clarify: I mean "In an ideal society, we wouldn't use money". Not that getting rid of money would singlehandedly make the world better.

I don't think money itself is bad. It is a system that allows for the exchanging of services. I believe that once an ideal society is in existence, it will eventually get rid of money. For in an ideal world, people want crave material possessions, as far as they serve them, but they will be occupied with there hobbies and community. The work that needs to be done to maintain existence will be shared fairly. Government will be scientific, representative and localised.

Some of the most important endeavours have not been the result of someone wanting wealth. You cannot ignore the role of passion, curiosity, love and community values in driving people to better society. Indeed they are far more powerful than wealth accumulation in my opinion. And wealth accumulation is inherently bad for society anyway, as it involves accumulating wealth that otherwise belongs to everybody else.

Overview.

The ideal society must have the happiest members. Happiness comes from being accepted. To feel accepted one must feel worthy, to feel worthy one must feel like they are 'needed'. If people feel like they are needed, and that they are autonomous, they will be happy and driven by that desire to be autonomous to achieve betterment for society.

People crave to belong, it's in our natural instinct, for only those who wanted to belong and succeed socially passed of genes. We don't need this science to tell us that our most powerful impulse is to belong socially. The reason I am saying this is because I want to explain what 'wealth' is in this context. 'Wealth' as we know it today, or the excessive accumulation of wealth, is more like an addiction, attempting to fill the void left by the breakdonw of community values and the sense of 'belonging' that it brings.

If the rich where not rich, we would all be drastically better off, to the point where money would loose some of its value as everybody would be so rich. So we already have the resources to make everybody wealthy.

In a perfect world, people would be driven by the natural desire to better oneself and to be respected by others. People would not be driven to accumulate money.

This is a difficult argument to defend, for it requires you to think outside the box. It also requires a knowledge of human psychology.

That's all I will say for now, for I want to see the angle my opponent is going to attack this from.
dupdupjones

Con

dupdupjones forfeited this round.
Tommy.leadbetter

Pro

I extend my points.
dupdupjones

Con

dupdupjones forfeited this round.
Tommy.leadbetter

Pro

I hope my opponent can at least post one more argument.
dupdupjones

Con

dupdupjones forfeited this round.
Tommy.leadbetter

Pro

Tommy.leadbetter forfeited this round.
dupdupjones

Con

dupdupjones forfeited this round.