JackNapier
TheConvincer

In this controlled war of insects who"d emerge dominant?

JackNapier

Pro

The specifics will probably shape your position here, so I will give as much detail as I can. Every night while we sleep, a whole universe unfolds in the undergrowth. Including wars, invasions, and many of the things we attribute to our own species. There are few insects more predisposed to war than ants.
I am now going to list 3 species, together with numbers and any other details.

Lasius niger numbers 100. Queen or brood? No.

https://en.wikipedia.org...

Myrmica rubra 40. Queen? Yes two queens and brood

https://en.wikipedia.org...

Polyrhachis dives 75. Queen or brood. Yes one Queen

https://en.wikipedia.org...

So there"s your species, their respective numbers and if they include a Queen(s) or not.

But I"m not done yet. Added to the equation are 20 of these nymphs. At L2 size(which is the size we will work with for this discussion), each is about twice the size of an ant.

Here"s a pic;

http://www.bugnation.co.uk...

And some blurb

https://en.wikipedia.org...

For this hypothetical, imagine a 10 inch square cube filled with sand at the bottom.

All 3 species and the assasin bug nypmhs are released at the same time.

Questions to address.

1) Do you think there would be any pattern to who attacked who, or do you expect that it would simply be a random free for all between the different insects?

2) How long would you plausible expect it to rage on for?

3) Do you think one would finally dominate over everything else or do you suspect all would be wiped out?

4) If you answer in the affirmative to #3 who would you expect to dominate by the end?

My positions would be..

1) Yes, at least initially. I think the two species that have Queens would be the initial aggressors, before it would finally descend into something close to a free for all, with the assassin bug nymphs picking off whatever species of ant happened to chance by.

2) Could be a long while. There"s around 225 ants in there from three species and those a/bug nymphs of which there are 20. Would guess at perhaps three hours.

3) My guess is that one would logically dominate. The a/bugs don"t work as a team so I think they would get overwhelmed eventually.

4) Possibly the M Rubra ants.
TheConvincer

Con

This category should be Entertainment.

1) Do you think there would be any pattern to who attacked who, or do you expect that it would simply be a random free for all between the different insects? The assassin bugs would attack last and probably last, as their prey is not usually ants. The European red ant would attack first, with Polyrhachis next, to protect the queen. The garden ants would be unorganized and confused.

2) How long would you plausible expect it to rage on for? Less than 3 hours. We are talking some extremely protective and aggressive species. This would be over fast; probably in the range of 1-2 hours.

3) Do you think one would finally dominate over everything else or do you suspect all would be wiped out? One would dominate"

4) If you answer in the affirmative to #3 who would you expect to dominate by the end? Assassin bugs would go down fighting, probably taken down by a combination of acid from the Polyrhachis and the bite of the Red ant. The ants would probably work together to take down the A.Bugs because of the common enemy theory. However, their size would take down a fair amt. of ants; maybe " the red and 25-50 of the Polyrhachis. At this point, the garden ants are mostly dead, and the red ants would proceed to dominate the Polyrhachis.
JackNapier

Pro

I wasn"t really sure where to place this discussion as it"s a bit of a deviation from the norm.

I think the only thing the L Niger ants have going for them is superior numbers. I guess that might count for something. Also, they don"t have a queen or brood to worry about like the other two species. Will the queen ants actually engage? I guess they probably will.

I would favour the M Ruba, but I"m just not sure they have the numbers to pull it off.

I am now starting to think that the ants may instinctively go for each other and almost ignore those a/bug nymphs. If that"s what happens then it may well be those that would be the last left.
TheConvincer

Con

TheConvincer forfeited this round.
JackNapier

Pro

JackNapier forfeited this round.
TheConvincer

Con

TheConvincer forfeited this round.
Posted by MagicAintReal 1 year ago
MagicAintReal
Awesome topic...I want to take this debate, but I think it's too hard to call it.