In today's world, the benefits of religion outweigh its detriments

Is religion a boon or bane to society? This has been a controversial topic, and there are merits to both sides of the argument. Nevertheless, in this debate, I shall endeavour to demonstrate that the benefits of religion today outweigh its detriments.

We will not argue about if God EXISTS or not, but the role in which Religion it's self has helped/hampered the World today.

Benefits- Something that is advantageous or good; an advantage.

Religion- A set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, esp. when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.

I wish to define the parameters of the debate, so as to forestall any unnecessary argument over issues tangential to the motion. First of all, the accuracy or reliability of the doctrines of any particular religion is not under contention here.

This debate is devoted to examining the impacts of religious beliefs, regardless of their truth or falsity. Secondly, it should be emphasised that this debate is focused on today's world.

For the purposes of this debate, however, I shall focus more on the Judaeo-Christian religions due our greater familiarity with it and also because of the higher amount of research conducted into the effects of religion in the West.

Round 1 for acceptance. Other two rounds are for arguements.

No samantics

Accept...I will be playing Devils Advocate.

Let me thank my opponent first. I have been wanting to debate this for awhile.

[Qoute]"Of all the dispositions and habits which lead to political prosperity, Religion and Morality are indispensable supports. In vain would that man claim the tribute of Patriotism who should labor to subvert these great Pillars of human happiness-these firmest props of the duties of Men and citizens. The mere Politician, equally with the pious man, ought to respect and to cherish them. A volume could not trace all their connections with private and public felicity. Let it simply be asked, Where is the security for property, for reputation, for life, if the sense of religious obligation desert the oaths, which are the instruments of investigation in Courts of Justice? And let us with caution indulge the supposition that morality can be maintained without religion. Whatever may be conceded to the influence of refined education on minds of peculiar structure, reason and experience both forbid us to expect that National morality can prevail in exclusion of religious principle."[Qoute]

In this debate I will try to focus on just three main benefits of religion: The benefits of religious belief to the individual person, the advancement of charitable causes by religion, and positive structure for the family setting. I go on to my arguement.

The benefits of personnel religious belief:

There are mnay that believes thier belief helps them cope with the uncertainities, fears, and anything the face. The belief in a supreme power in thier lives gives them all the reassurances that any and everything will work out.

There is much evidence that religion makes a hugh difference in the personnel lives of people. Religion provides social gatherings, favorable outlook on physical and mental health, and also many children in religious activities reduce thier deviant behavior. Religion provides a capital in friendships and strong community relationships.

These many rewards are especially important for the indiviuals who religion means so much. Because of these rewards religion offers makes the recepiant more charitable.

Religion's role in charitable giving and work:

Another important benefit of religion is in charity. Religion has been demonstrating encouragement in giving and volutarism for thousands of years.

In the General survey's religious people reported far higher amounts of charitable giving. The religious group is 40 percent more likely to donate during the year, and more than twice as likely to volunteer. Even controlling for the level of "compassion", religious people are found to be more charitable than secular people.

The differences between the religious and secular in charity are enormous. Religious people are more likely than secularists to donate money and more likely to volunteer time. And, consistent with the findings of others are that these data's show that practicing religion is more important than actual religion itself in charitable behavior.

As we see religious people are more likely to be charitable than those are not. Then we come to the benefits on the family unit.

Religion and the family unit:

There is a large body of evidence that religion plays a pivotial role in stable happy families.

Religion reduces divorce rates. In the study and analysis of religion and family literature over the past 20 years found that church attendance serves as a protective factor against divorce.

America has always been a spiritual and religious nation. Most of Americans are religious in some form or fashion. I offer you some information to consider:
Sixty percent of Americans report that religion is "important" or "very important" to them (McCullough, Hoyt, & Larson 2000) and only 2% say they do not believe in God (Sherkat & Ellison 1999). American religion is largely a family affair. Ninety-five percent of all married couples and parents in America report a religious affiliation (Mahoney, Pargament, Tarakeshwar, & Swank 2001), about 90% desire religious training for their childre (Gallup & Castelli 1989), and more than half of married couples say they attend church at least monthly (Heaton & Pratt 1990).

Since many studies now show the beneficial consequences of religious belief, practice, and community support on physical health, mental health, and current and future marital and family relationships, it appears that one of the most important things parents can provide for their children is a spiritual and religious experience and community.

While the causes of religion's positive effects may be disputable, the evidence of such effects is clear and convincing. The benefits of religion cannot be discounted.

I thank my opponent and readers. I send it to CON.

tyler90az forfeited this round.

My opponent FF which is a valiation of rules. I ask for all votes.

Religion far out weighs its detriments. thanks again.

Sorry Scotty was busy!
Posted by angrymen 4 years ago
There are still the wars in the middle east.
Posted by wierdman 4 years ago
I doubt that frozen. The fact that he used the word modern eliminates all reference to previous wars as well as corruption within the church as well as all other religion. I do think that Christianity just like many other debates like this in the past, will be the center of attention. I really don't know how anyone could debate this because It also takes away any individualistic approach and replaces it with a sociological approach; meaning that you have to think about the effect on modern society as a whole and not on specific individuals.
Posted by frozen_eclipse 4 years ago
I have a feeling that religious wars are going to be a hot topic in this debate.....
Posted by ScottyDouglas 4 years ago
I refined it!
Posted by socialpinko 4 years ago
What's your standard value to define what a benefit is in this context?
Vote Placed by SuburbiaSurvivor 4 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: FF!