Sarah-Hutton
SebUK

Incestuous marriage

SebUK

Sarah-Hutton

Con

I am putting forth this debate on the topic of whether incestuous marriage is right/wrong or legal/illegal. I am against this and I want someone who agrees with it to tell me why. This should be interesting!
SebUK

Pro

For the debate to continue my opponent has to prove why such form of marriage is wrong
Sarah-Hutton

Con

Thank you for accepting my debate. This is my first debate so I hope to learn a lot from this. Before I state my reasons for being against incestuous marriage I want to make it clear that I support gay marriage. Another thing I want to mention is that I am not religious so my answers won't be influenced too much by the Bible and other religious figures. I'm now going to list my reasons and why I've chosen them.

1- Whilst being a supporter of gay marriage I don't like the idea of incestuous marriage. This is because I feel that family is a very precious thing, and for something like a sexual relationship between siblings could tear the family apart and cause a lot of stress and bullying for both those in the relationship and the family of them.

2- The issue about children. As I'm sure you're aware in some cases, inbred children can be severely disabled. Some of the consequences of inbreeding can be quite serious. Let me tell you a few. Human inbreeding can cause reduced fertility and increased child mortality/morbidity. Not only that but serious issues with learning, seeing and hearing aren't unheard of either. I'll post a couple of links here about one very tragic story. http://www.dailymail.co.uk... & http://www.independent.co.uk...

3- You should find it instinctively wrong. Now, I hate to ask you this but if you were to imagine having a sexual relationship with a close relative would you feel repulsed? Or would you think, oh yeah, I'd like some of that. What I'm trying to explain is that your instincts should tell you that it's wrong. I also find it morally wrong. It goes against society. It pushes the limits. It ... the definitions of something being 'morally wrong' could go on forever.

I have more to say, but I'd like to hear your response before I say anything more. Ta ta.
SebUK

Pro

I thank my opponent for starting the debate 'This is because I feel that family is a very precious thing, and for something like a sexual relationship between siblings could tear the family apart and cause a lot of stress and bullying for both those in the relationship and the family of them.' So you want to impose your own morality onto them ? you are not taking into account that what if the family doesn't mind why would they still be stopped ? what if they don't care about their family? So you are stopping someone from happiness because it would damage something they don't care about?. 'The Issue of Children' An important thing to take into mind when creating debates on here is to be specific , we are debating the actual marriage therefore i simply do not need to refute this point since it is irrelevant . ' What I'm trying to explain is that your instincts should tell you that it's wrong. ' So if you think that homosexuality is disgusting you should ban it? just because of your opinion? you are imposing your own morality onto other people how would 2 close relatives having sex at the privacy of their own home affect you in a negative way more specifically how would them getting married harm you?.
I await my opponents response
Sarah-Hutton

Con

You say to me "what if the family doesn't mind, would they still be stopped?" Well in reply to that remark can I point out that I said it COULD cause family issues and not that it will. I hope that clears the air for you. Well. Back to the debate eh? Thank you again for your quick response. I appreciate it. Please remember that I support gay marriage, so please don't assume that just because I am against incestuous marriage, doesn't mean that I'm automatically against gay marriage.

You have said that it wouldn't affect me if someone was to be in this sort of relationship. Well, I say that if this is a debate of legality, then it would have an effect on a much larger scale than just me. You haven't really given any reasons for why you accept it. Along with trying to shoot down my reasoning try to come up with some reasons of your own.

So that you completely understand how against it I am let me give you a scale example. On a scale of 'yes, I love this' to 'I disagree with this' and 'no this is wrong. They shouldn't be allowed to live' I'd say I'm in the middle at 'I disagree with this'. In other words, I think that it is wrong, but I'm not going to go outside and campaign against it. I think doing that would be very unfair.

You have also said that the issue of children is irrelevant. I have to disagree with you there, as married couples tend to have children, and I did not write in the debate description that it's marriage without children we're discussing, so I'd say it's fairly relevant.

You say yes for incestuous marriage. I say, or rather quote "yeah, well, that's just like your opinion man". Just kidding. Your opinion is strong and I thank you for engaging with me in this debate. It's been nice to hear your ideas.

I look forward to your response. So long. (Here is a video link for the "yeah, well , that's just like your opinion man." I hope you like it.)
SebUK

Pro

'I said it COULD cause family issues and not that it will.' Any type of marriage can cause problems , The couple made the decision and the family doesn't have to approve of it for it to be legitimate . ' then it would have an effect on a much larger scale than just me. ' Tell me how it would affect you in a negative way in person . '. You haven't really given any reasons for why you accept it. ' Because there is no reason for me to against it , Since I don't feel the need to restrict others freedom . 'I have to disagree with you there, as married couples tend to have children, ' You didn't put it in the description therefore I have no need to adress it , you wrote simply about the actual marriage therefore that's the only thing we are addressing , next time you have to expand in your description of the debate. Honestly I can't expand on my own views since it's simple I do not belive there is a need to restrict their freedom . My opponent didn't give me any more issues to adress but if he wishes he can write more about the issue of incestious marriage if he has a strong opinion on it and I will adress the issues he has presented .
Posted by Sarah-Hutton 2 years ago
Sarah-Hutton
Yes. It was my first debate so I chose a short one to see how it is.
I have noticed that I forgot to give you the link for the "yeah, well, that's just like your opinion man" video so I'll post it here. https://www.youtube.com...
Thanks for the fun.
Posted by SebUK 2 years ago
SebUK
short debate I thought there is more rounds
Vote Placed by PiercedPanda 2 years ago
PiercedPanda
Sarah-HuttonSebUKTied
Reasons for voting decision: Playing nothing but semantics, pro rebutted con's arguments. However his rebuttals were irrelevant, because he made them so specific that it was behind the cause. Con made arguments and explained how it can be unhealthy, and that the family will be effected. Pro was unable to effectively rebuttal. Con was the only one with a source, giving him points for sources.
Vote Placed by Seeginomikata 2 years ago
Seeginomikata
Sarah-HuttonSebUKTied
Reasons for voting decision: Personally, I would normally agree that incestuous marriage should not be allowed. However, Con made very weak points, whose faults were quickly pointed out by pro.