Inclusion in Education

As this is my first debate on this site, I please forgive me for any structural flaws in this debate, as I am not actually familiar with many of the traditional competitive debating terms. In any case, the first round shall be acceptance only.

To simplify things, I shall simply state that as Pro, I shall be arguing for the inclusion of children with special educational needs in regular classrooms, whereas Con will be arguing against this proposition. I hope to keep things light, an as such there is currently a 2,000 character limit. I hope this is sufficient.

Good luck!

Let me start off by saying your way of thinking is a good one however also an ignorant one (no offence at all intended). I went to a school where those special needs kids were integrated into our class rooms and personally know two, one had a very severe case of autism and the other was mentally challenged; both were integrated into regular class room. Let me start with as story. one time while we were writing a test the mentally challenged kid got up and put another child in to a head lock and had to be broken up by other students so that is one con as they are unstable and unpredictable.

However that is not the main reason why i think they should not be, The kid with severe autism (god bless him for he was an amazing person) got so much of the teachers attention and resources that it takes away from the other kids learning, other kids who had the potential to one day be doctor and lawyers and anything else and because of that they struggled and continued to struggle so that is why im against it. I believe that those special needs kids should be interacting with other kids but it should be off on his own school schedule with their own personal special needs teacher

I would like to thank my opponent for joining me, and wish him good luck!
Let me please establish a couple points about my own life, as to dispel any feelings my opponent may have as to my own "ignorance". Firstly, without writing my entire life story, I'd like to say that I come from a family in which 3 out of 6 children have what is known as Fetal Alcohol Syndrome. Before they were officially adopted, my family worked as an emergency foster care provider, meaning that I had (and continue to have) regular contact with a number of individuals with mental health issues, including varying degrees of autism. If there is anything I have to bring to the table when it comes to mental health issues, the first thing I would have to say would be "experience". I find it rather peculiar that with such experience, I would be called "ignorant". Secondly, I'd like to also establish that I am currently studying special needs education as a result of my family background, which I believe can speak volumes to my understanding and affiliation in this particular realm of debate.

In any case, I must inform my opponent that his classroom likely wasn't properly maintained. It is my view that instability in a classroom is not due to the students' mental health issues, but rather the teacher's failure to manage his class.

In any case, a properly included classroom should not divide the teacher's attention. Please refer to this caricature that illustrates my following argument:
As you can see, the man is shoveling the stairs instead of just the ramp, making the job twice as long and forcing some of the students who require the wheelchair ramp to wait. But why not shovel the ramp instead? Everyone can use it, right? The idea is the same here! Let's say that you have a severely autistic child who responds very well to art. Why not find ways to teach the entire lesson using art? Everyone can profit from it that way!

First I want to deeply apologize ignorant was not the right word to use at all and was not what I meant. What i did mean is that you were not seing all the possible out comes of this situation. I really hope you were not offended as that was not my intent simply a poor choice of words.

I would also like to point out that the classrooms were not poorly maintained the mentally challenged child always had a supervisor watching over him what he did was an unpredictable occurrence which is entirely possible for someone of that mental state to do.

In any case just because a properly included classroom should not divide the teachers attention does not mean it will not. If a teacher has to teach a lesson to everyone and then teach it again to a student who does not understand because of his disability this takes a lot of time that could be used on the other students who understand it properly and just need a little bit of help however the teacher only has so much time she can spend on one topic

Or even simply with a child who has a disability and tends to act out on a lot more occasions than other children the teacher must now focus her attention on that student and ignore the others

as for that picture you showed i do not believes it portrays this situation very well because that situation is when everything is at a stand still. Say the stairs and the wheelchair ramp were free of any snow and the kids could only pick one mode up yet everyone decides to use the wheelchair ramp, the people in the wheelchair now need to wait for other kids to walk up the ramp leaving them behind or the kids let the kid in the wheelchair go up first stopping their progression up the ramp.

just on a side note when i said ignorant the word to me simply means you are IGNORing something hence the word IGNORant, it was not a shot at you experience in the field or at your inteligence which every seems to think when this word comes out but once again i thin you took offence and i apologize

I never took any offense from any comment that was made. However, I will state that I am not "IGNORing" anything, and should my opponent feel that I have not sufficiently addressed one of his points, I invite him to restate them. The character limit often makes it hard to address all points, in any case.

"... unpredictable occurrence..."
While this strays from the topic of inclusion, as someone who has been helping people with mental illnesses all his life (again, INCLUDING autism), while you can't always predict what's going to happen, you can absolutely be prepared for it.

"... tends to act out on a lot more occasions than other children the teacher must now focus her attention on that student and ignore the others"
"Sometimes students who are having difficulty with learning mask their embarrassment by using inappropriate behaviour." [1] Should a teacher unmask such behaviour and sole the student's problems, oftentimes behaviour issues can be erased. I DO NOT claim that this is always the case, but in an included classroom, at the very least these children are given the chance they deserve, in the place of pushing them to the side simply due to misbehaviour.

"... the people in the wheelchair now need to wait for other kids to walk up the ramp leaving them behind"
Does my opponent truly believe that should a teacher provide an easier way to teach things that everyone will flock to it and those for whom it was intended will suffer? Perhaps to better illustrate the point I was making, I will refer to a guide for teachers for dyslexic students, in which it notes strategies that can be used for an entire classroom, such as simply "Us[ing] different colour chalks for each line if there is a lot of written information"[2] I might suggest that my opponent read through the entire guide, as it provides a number of tips that would generally be used in an included classroom.

Well i believe being unpredictable has a great deal to deal with inclusion because if a kid is unpredictable and that unpredictability has proven to be unsafe for other children as it was in my classroom then the child should not be included.

I would also like to point out that these children do have limits in their mental ability and with these limits varying case to case
the class could be on multiplication but the teacher may have to go back to the child with a disability and still go through simple addition with him. there is such a thing as too easy, when children are not challenged they get bored and do not learn

Now i would like to propose a compromise because as much as i am debating this topic i am also agreeing with both sides
Nothing you have said is wrong but i think the best solution would be a case to case assessment of the child maybe do a couple of scoring tests on the childs behaviors and knowledge and see if he is fit to be included in a regular class room

another solution is to include them with the class but have a separate teacher who is more specialized in dealing with special children look after them

Unfortunately your dyslexia link was not working so I did not get the chance to read through it

ZyuZyu forfeited this round.

dunc22 forfeited this round.