Increase Voter Turnout by Holding Money Until Vote

I was pondering things we could do to increase voter turnout and I came up with this; every election, we require people to deposit a small sum of money to an election bank about a month before an election they're eligible for; maybe only around $7 dollars, or however much they make per hour. This money has no interest on it or anything like it; once they vote, they can withdraw the money they deposited earlier. If they don't vote, it stays in the account, but they cannot withdraw it. Perhaps the money can be collected from their pay check, income taxes; I'm not sure. It's not a fully formed idea ready for implementation, but hopefully you get the gist of it. I was wondering if anyone had any objections or additions to it. Thanks.

I was rolling the idea over in my mind and I realized that it had a fundamental flaw; it didn't solve the root problem. [1]Citizens would still be uneducated and uncaring in the world of politics. Therefore, this change would only be used as a temporary proposition until we can reform our education and voting system.

My proposition is flawed in the fact that we force citizens to do something against their will; however, some things are necessary, just as a schoolboy who wishes to avoid his education. We must force that schoolboy to complete his education until he realizes the importance of receiving one. I await my opponent to present his case.

FifaGamer forfeited this round.

I have received no counter arguments from my opponent, so I will present them myself, and refute them.

The implementation of this system would not force anyone to do anything, simply enact a self-provided incentive to do so. The only part yet to be figured into the plan is how to set this up.

I believe that the money should be held by the state Division of Elections department. Part of every citizen's taxes will go towards this incentive; it will be put in their voter account. It provides some nice side benefits as well; if the money is absent from their account, you know that they have voted. It will be set up by someone with more knowledge of the whole process than myself, only 14 years old; I have yet to hear any fact based arguments, so I assume it has been found to be a possible option. Thank you for reading my arguments.
Posted by gomergcc 1 year ago
While the premise is interesting, and I would not mind debating, as it is written I would just be poking holes at the no interest part. Since inflations would basically be charging me for this.
Posted by Venom0120 1 year ago
You know, what you say brings up another point; the voting system. It isn't the easiest to vote in this country you know; have you seen the lines? Voter turnout can also reflect on the difficulty of voting. And I'm not saying we keep their money, because they can get it back just as easy. All they have to do is vote. We would not be forcing them; nothing will happen to them if they don't vote. Anyway, thanks for your comment.
Posted by 1Credo 1 year ago
So you propose that we ought to force people to vote? I think if someone doesn't care enough to vote, then that's their own choice. Voter turnout reflects how many lazy and perhaps uneducated citizens that we have in our country, but they have the same right to not vote (and keep their money) as we do to vote.
Vote Placed by lannan13 1 year ago
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture