ournamestoolong
Clockwork

Increased restrictions should be put on firearms in the US

ournamestoolong

Pro

I support gun control. Why? It keeps me safe. (I know I am using part of my argument from another debate)

In 2007, 16,929 people (http://www.fbi.gov... ) were murdered. Now you may say that this is a normal number for international crime rates, But it is not. Looking at the homicide rate of our own country (5.6 murders for every 100,000 people) compared to other developed countries, we see we have a particularly high rate. (United Kingdom 2.1, Japan .5, Germany 1, Italy 1.2) (http://www.photius.com...)

So what makes us different from these countries. They are just as developed, and many of the outside influences are the same. So what is the difference? All the countries I listed have some type of gun control. (http://news.bbc.co.uk..., http://www.guncite.com..., http://archives.cnn.com...)So this proves that gun control is effective. Japan has the strictest gun control and the lowest homicide rate.

Now I think we can agree that the purpose of a government is to ensure the welfare and saftey of its citizens, so we should keep our citizens safe by restricting guns.
Clockwork

Con

According to a 1995 study entitled "Armed Resistance to Crime: The Prevalence and Nature of Self-Defense with a Gun" by Gary Kleck and Marc Gertz, published by the Journal of Criminal Law and Criminology at Northwestern University School of Law, law-abiding citizens use guns to defend themselves against criminals as many as 2.5 million times every year.

That means that firearms are used 60 times more often to protect the lives of honest citizens than to shoot with criminal intent. Of these defensive shootings, more than 200,000 are by women defending themselves against sexual abuse. About half a million times a year, a citizen carrying a gun away from home uses it in self-defense.

By this we must realize that the original reasoning for the right to bear arms still holds precedence in today's debate: the negatives are far outweighed (60 times to be exact) by the benefits of security and self-protection.

In New York City, long known for strict regulation of all types of weapons, only 19 percent of the 390 homicides in 1960 involved pistols. By 1972, this proportion had jumped to 49 percent of 1,691. In 1973, according to the New York Times, there were only 28,000 lawfully possessed handguns in the nation's largest city, but police estimated that there were as many as 1.3 million illegal handguns there.

Vermont has the least restrictive gun-control law. It recognizes the right of any Vermonter who has not otherwise been prohibited from owning a firearm to carry concealed weapons without a permit or license. Yet Vermont has one of the lowest crime rates in America, ranking 49 out of 50 in all crimes and 47th in murders. (Via Benedict DeMarte)

By this we can see that criminals obviously don't have that high of a concern for the law in the first place. Anti-firearm restrictions have no consistent or direct relationship to crime rates.

Concealed carry laws have reduced murder and crime rates in the states that have enacted them. According to a comprehensive study which reviewed crime statistics in every county in the United States from 1977 to 1992, states which passed concealed carry laws reduced their rate of murder by 8.5%, rape by 5%, aggravated assault by 7% and robbery by 3% (John R. Lott, Jr, University of Chicago)

It's pretty obvious that criminals are going to commit crimes when they feel that they have a considerable chance with getting away with it. When criminals fear that they might be on the losing end of the 2.5 million defensive uses of handguns annually in the US, they think twice before committing crimes, and it shows in the statistics.

I now leave you in the hands of my opponent.
ournamestoolong

Pro

ournamestoolong forfeited this round.
Clockwork

Con

Extend. Notice that my evidence clearly shows that increased gun control regulation does not lead to lower crime rates; on the contrary, the Affirmative stance has actually been known to INCREASE criminal activity.
ournamestoolong

Pro

ournamestoolong forfeited this round.
Clockwork

Con

My condolences to my opponent for whatever has so preoccupied him for the past six days that he couldn't log on for two minutes and type "extend". I wish him luck in whatever that was his trouble that prevented him from doing such.

However, as it stands, my arguments are untouched, and accordingly, you must vote con.

To my opponent: if there ever comes a time where you know that you will be able to actually debate, feel free to challenge this topic to me, as I do share an interest in the topic.
Posted by Clockwork 7 years ago
Clockwork
Ah. I feel for you, happens to all of us. However, that's still not a valid excuse as to why restrictions should be put on firearms. ;-)
Posted by ournamestoolong 7 years ago
ournamestoolong
FTR, I have been on vacation in Guatemala for the past six days and didn't have internet access
Posted by ournamestoolong 7 years ago
ournamestoolong
http://www.huppi.com...
They have ammunition regulation.
Posted by ournamestoolong 7 years ago
ournamestoolong
panda, is that a joke?
Posted by Clockwork 7 years ago
Clockwork
It will be a while before I can post mty opening statement; either in a couple of hours or sometime tomorrow I will be able to post. Don't take my inactivity as a future forefeit, though.
Posted by I-am-a-panda 7 years ago
I-am-a-panda
Switzerland gives every male an automatic firearm by law, and they have one of the lowest homicide rates in the world.
Vote Placed by TheCategorical 7 years ago
TheCategorical
ournamestoolongClockworkTied
Vote Placed by Clockwork 7 years ago
Clockwork
ournamestoolongClockworkTied