Kylar
star2017

India should be a permanent UN Security Council Member

Kylar

Kylar

Pro

Greetings everyone it is your friend Kylar :). I am starting a very relavant debate that I hope will be enjoyable for me and for my opponett :). In light of the growing momentum in favor of India getting a permanent membership on the UN Security Council, I think it is a good move. I want to debate this with someone :). Please accept, and I will explain my views more thoroughly in the next rounds.
Good luck, and let's have a great debate :)
PS: First round, acceptance only
star2017

Con

I do not support India being a permanent UN Security Council Member because of the history between them and China and because of the tension between them and Pakistan. I do accept that India is emerging Economic powerhouse and they have power and need to be fully accepted in the United Nations and in global decision any way.
Kylar

Pro

Thank you for accepting this debate :). I will start my refutes.
"the tension between them and pakistan"
Pakistan could easily sign a diplomatic truce and end the Kashmir tension-let Kashmir be an independent nation, and end this rift.
China and Russia I might add also support the ascension of India as a permanent UNSC member.
I will explain more later,
thanks for the debate :)
star2017

Con

The tension I am worried about isn't between the governments of India and Pakistan but between the extreme polar opposites in the countries. I am more concerned that the modern day terrorist in that region would start to attack India more frequently and damage the good that has becoming in the form of "peace" and dialogue between the two countries. I am worried that adding India to the UN Security Council will be problematic because it could either create a even more divide sectors in the council or it could eat away at the relationship between India and China or Russia. I don't believe that just because India has a large military that they should get in automatically, I know that isn't what happening just stating an opinion, and that India isn't social developed as some other countries. This will also affect what little relations the West have with Iran to lead into the next round.
Kylar

Pro

I thank Con once again for an enjoyable debate so far, and very good arguments :). Now I must refute.
The fact is that China and Russia and the USA support India's ascension as a permanent member, so tension would ease there.
The terroist groups of ISIS and the Taliban would attack India probably yes, but Pakistan would not, not with most of the UNSC and the rest of the UN in support of India.
India's millitary could destroy the terrorists, they have an excellent and massive army.
Border disputes like Kashmir could be resolved at the UNSC with India's ascension as a permanent member of the UN Security Council. I rest my case.
Back to you my friend, and thank you for a great debate so far, I can't wait to see what you have in refutal :)
star2017

Con

This has been a great debate. I am worried about tension in the economical sense. I don't know if you watch stock markets but last I checked, was about 3 weeks ago, the markets in China and Russia where weakening. I am afraid that if that trend continues that with the new access to trade India would have that it would potentially make Russia and China feel threatened. I understand that the India military could handle the terrorist easily but my concern isn't the hard targets like military bases, government buildings, and etc. It is the soft targets like malls, churches, schools, and etc. India has a massive poor population that could be targets and threaten the security of the country from the inside. I agree that border disputes could be solved within the UNSC. One other concern that I have is that Iran may feel threatened for lack of better words. They have wanted to join the international community in the UN and such. I understand that the nuclear plant and potential nuclear bombs play a part and that is a debate for another day but to give India full status and a seat in the UNSC and not talk to Iran about becoming a member if the nuclear bomb situation ever gets resolved would threaten the Middle east and could lead to more problems through war and threats and Israel because for a while Israel wanted to be UNSC member, not sure if they are, but to include India and not talk to Israel would deteriorate the US and Israel relationship and the UN Israel relationship even more. That is a vital relationship because of the tension and problems in the middle east.
Kylar

Pro

In truth, this has indeed been a great debate and thank you for it my friend :). I now will refute to the best of my ability.
You have very valid arguments, and that is no joke :).
Alright so...
Yes, I agree they should talk to the Islamic Republic of Iran before they grant India a seat on the UN Security Council, permanent or non permanent. They should also sign a nuclear deal with Iran, I agree with you there, Iran is dangerous, and is a threat to Israel and the world over.
Also, I think that in refutal the UNSC should grant India permament membership because they are a true nation of peace and they could help solve many conflicts.
Thank you again for a great debate my friend :)
star2017

Con

I agree that India is true nation of peace is there is one outside of Switzerland. They do a great of creating peace and help establish peace. I can't speak on the topic of human rights in depth because it is an area i don't know a lot about. I do know however that India needs to update some laws and try to create more equality in the country. The government in India has done a great job in recent years trying to stem some of the inequality but I believe that it needs to take it a step father and continue to do so before it is granted permanent UNSC membership. I also believe that it is necessary to tag both India and Israel in the same sentence because they are both key countries to their region and to add one and not the other could deteriorate relationships between countries. The key for this movement is the relationships part of it. The relationships between the countries will have to be mended and fixed before anything can happen.
Kylar

Pro

Thank you my friend once again for a great debate :). This has been a very enjoyable debate, and I love hearing opposite views :). Let me now refute your great arguments :). I believe that yes, dipolmatic relationships with other nations must be resolved and soon, before India joins the UN Security Council, even as a permanent or non permanent member.
I think the UN could sponsor peace talks between India and Pakistan, and it they could reach an agreement ending the Kashmir dispute with Kashmir as a neutral nation between the two of them as a confilct settler. The terrorists could also be repelled by the members of India's strong millitary, and thus no harm would come to the world's largest democracy.
And yes, they do need to improve in some personal rights problems, but they have done remarkable. All it should take is a small nuge from the UN in diplomatic friendship, and they could finish what they started-equality and justice for all, regardless of religion, gender or otherwise. Once it is finished, then India can achieve it's goal: permanent membership on the UN Security Council.
I rest my case, thank you so much for a great debate my friend, i really enjoyed this :)
I hope to debate you again soon :) this was a great debate
star2017

Con

I agree with what you outlined that in the effect that it would solve a lot of the problems that the UNSC face but the one thing i will remind people is that until Iran, Ukraine, and Syria are solved nothing positive can be built on firm standing. The problem with Russia is there are also as in much trouble as Iran is for their role in the Ukraine civil war. They also are in trouble for their support of Syria and they action they took to stop the US and the west from taking chemical weapons away from the government. So those issues have to be resolved and India has to continue to show the will and resolve in trying to find an equal society more like what the US has since no civilization will be truly 100 percent equal in all things. Once this things get started then you can see India being granted membership as a permanent member of the UNSC or atleast the process to begin to move that way. this was a fun debate.
Posted by raviahlawat823 2 years ago
raviahlawat823
India has massive army and Kashmir is the big issue for all the world because there is a lot's of terrorist activities happening in this area and Pakistan a terrorist state supports this and they get a huge advantage but Indian Army is massive and very brave they protect their LOC( about 600 km) with great efforts.
Posted by Tminusfour20 2 years ago
Tminusfour20
Completely agreed. India's Army is massive.
Vote Placed by Hanspete 2 years ago
Hanspete
Kylarstar2017Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Sooooo Arguments go to Pro right off the Bat seeing as how he managed to successfully refute all of Con's points, as well as the fact that I believe that Pakistan has little relevance to the joining of India to the UNSC, especially seeing as India is a rising superpower and Pakistan is kinda sorta maybe a World Power. S and G also go to Pro seeing as Con made a few grammatical mistakes in his arguments and Pro also argued more fluidly.