sameerchauhan007
Midnight1131

India should not get westernized

Midnight1131

sameerchauhan007

Pro

according to me India should not get westernized..
in last 5 centuries India because of rule of British got many things but lost more than she got.
India is getting influenced by the practices of western countries and losing its own rich culture.
Midnight1131

Con

I accept this debate. I thank my opponent for instigating this debate.

It is clear that according to my opponent India has been getting westernized for the last 5 centuries.

"in last 5 centuries India because of rule of British got many things but lost more than she got."

So according to my opponent India gained many things, but these gains were not balanced with what it lost. Below I will give examples of fields that India has improved in due to westernization.

First we will define westernization.

Westernization - cause (a country, person, or system) to adopt or be influenced by the cultural, economic, or political systems of Europe and North America:

Contention 1 - GDP Growth

India's GDP has skyrocketed starting from the 1960's. This has been due to modernization that has been brought forth through the West's increasing influence on India.

Contention 2 - Education

Education was made a priority in India during the British Raj. Under Thomas Macaulay, there were thousands of of schools opened, and universities were also opened in Kolkata, Mumbai, and Madras by 1857. The government had opened 186 universities and other post secondary educational institutions by 1911.

In this graph, you can see that the literacy rate of India has skyrocketed, for both males and females, since the beginning of the British Raj and their implementations of modern education.

Contention 3 - Human Rights

India's HDI has been on the rise for many years.

If, as my opponent is saying, India has been subject to westernization for the last 5 centuries, then it can be safely assumed that all of these advancements have been because of westernization.

Contention 4 - Democracy

Now it's important to note that westernization of India doesn't only refer to the British Raj. If you refer to the definition above, it also includes political systems in India that have been adopted from the West, and this includes democracy. Before the increasing western influence on the world, India had been subject to conquests from a lot of different empires, includes the mughals, the Maratha Empire, and the Vijayanagara Empire. It imporant to note that none of these political systems had the benefits of democracies, most of them came about through military conquest, and the people had no choice in who their leaders were. Now, with democracy, which is a western political system, the Indian population excersizes much greater choice in their government. It's clear that India has never had a government that was more representative of the people's wishes than the ones they've had under the Western system of democracy.

With that I'll toss the ball back to my opponent and await their furthered arguments and rebuttals.
sameerchauhan007

Pro

sameerchauhan007 forfeited this round.
Midnight1131

Con

I extend.
sameerchauhan007

Pro

sameerchauhan007 forfeited this round.
Midnight1131

Con

Vote Con.
Posted by Sarra 1 year ago
Sarra
Can someone please explain PPP when discussing GDP per capita? (India citizens get paid less, true. The cost of the stuff they buy, the rent they pay, the entertainment they go see is also less. Number to number is not a very helpful comparison. If food where I live costs 300% more than where you live (repeat for various products and services we both buy), you might have an effective income greater than mine even if my number is higher than yours.)
Posted by Varrack 1 year ago
Varrack
As much as I agree with Con on this, I think some of the arguments made could use a bit of elaboration to strengthen his position. One contention was that the GDP of India has rocketed lately, and that human rights has been steadily increases. Con then concludes that these must be the result of westernization. My question to Con is this: how exactly do these increases lead to the idea the westernization caused it? Correlation doesn't equal causation.
Vote Placed by Balacafa 1 year ago
Balacafa
sameerchauhan007Midnight1131Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct and arguments goes to con due to the forfeiture by Pro. Sources goes to Con for incorporating graphs into their argument to prove that their would be negative effects
Vote Placed by tajshar2k 1 year ago
tajshar2k
sameerchauhan007Midnight1131Tied
Vote Placed by Lee001 1 year ago
Lee001
sameerchauhan007Midnight1131Tied
Reasons for voting decision: FF from pro, thus leaving con's case untouched.