ndj
Blade1995

India should prioritize economic development over environmental protection.

Started: 5/16/2014 Category: Economics

ndj

Pro

For this debate I will be arguing that India should prioritize economic development instead of environmental protection. Thank you to the person who accepts this challenge.
Blade1995

Con

I will argue for environmental protection over economic development.
ndj

Pro

Today I will present 3 contentions:

C1) Economic Development reduces poverty

The Economic Times, 2014:
Economic development can lead to overall job gains rising to 110 million over the next 10 years, Goldman Sachs said.
The Times of India, 2014:
India can bring 580 million people above the 'empowerment line' through economic development.
Vasquez, 2001:
The historical record is clear: the single, most effective way to reduce world poverty is economic
growth.

These three pieces of evidence show how economic development can provide huge gains for poor people as they lift people above the empowerment line, as well as provide jobs. Also, there is a clear card that proves the tagline of my contention. Solving poverty is a huge benefit for everyone.

C2) Economic Development reduces slavery

Global Slavery Index, 2013:
India exhibits the full spectrum of different
forms of modern slavery, from severe forms of inter-generational bonded labor across various industries to the worst forms of child labor. The 2013 US TIP Report cites figures of an estimated 20 to 65 million Indian citizens in forced labor within India as a result of debt bondage.

Global Slavery Index, 2013:
"The World Bank estimated in 2012 that 32.7% of Indians lived below the
international poverty line of less than US$1.25/day (PPP). Poverty and India"s caste
system are significant contributing factors to its modern slavery problem.

We can see slavery is instigated by poverty, and I proved above that poverty will be solved by economic development. Therefore, economic development will solve for slavery.

C3) Economic development is a prerequisite for environmental protection

Franzen, Axel, and Dominikus Vogl, 2013:
If acquiescence is taken into consideration, the analysis of the pooled data of 59
countries shows a positive and statistically significant correlation between the
countries" wealth and their environmental concern.

This card clearly shows how a country will start investing in the environment once it has become rich enough. So economic development should be prioritized first.

Thank you for reading and I urge an affirmation vote.
Blade1995

Con

Blade1995 forfeited this round.
ndj

Pro

ndj forfeited this round.
Blade1995

Con

Blade1995 forfeited this round.
ndj

Pro

Sorry I had an important event and could not post. My opponent has forfeited so you should vote Pro.
Blade1995

Con

Blade1995 forfeited this round.