Praharsh
Jocularly_Solemn

Indian Schools waste our precious time.

Praharsh has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 1 year ago Status: Debating Period

Praharsh

Pro

My question is whether the schools we go to learn new things waste our time. I think yes, I am an Indian and when I go to school, It does not feel like school, It feels like some sort of office. The teachers do not come to teach or to make you learn new and amazing things. They come to prepare you for the race and that race is your life. Why on earth do the teachers give us homework. Why do not they encourage us to explore and discover new things rather than giving us pointless HOMEWORK? The reason i do not like the concept of homework is that they are pointless. Here, in India, the teachers in schools discuss the exercises of the chapter, make us write the answers in our books and tell us to copy the answers from the book to our notebooks. They call this "HOMEWORK". So, with all the burden of homework and the pressure to complete it by the next day resists the student from doing the things he likes. Not just resists but wastes his time. What do you think of schools?
Jocularly_Solemn

Con

The topic of this debate is misleading with regard to pro's first round argument. Pro clearly is against the concept of homework and giving homework in schools is not restricted only to India.

I would like to give some definitions. - (All definitions from Merriam-Webster)
1) School - an organization that provides instruction: such as
a) an institution for the teaching of children
b) college, university
2) Homework - an assignment given to a student to be completed outside the regular class period

I have a good understanding about the Indian education system, and I would like to point out that it is highly unlikely that all Indian schools do is waste an individuals time. Though, I don't deny that
a fair amount of exceptions might be there, such as schools that do waste a person's time; but classifying 'Indian schools' as time wasters as a whole is not really smart.

A single Google search will educate you about the many schools, colleges and universities in India that are actually very good. Such schools include The Doon School, Dehradun; Indian Institute of Technology (IIT); University of Delhi (DU), etc.
Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore ranked 5th among the BRICS countries in 2015 and 6th in 2016.
Now schools and universities with these stats won't really be called time wasters, would they?

Pro should realise that every school is not the same as pro's own school. Every group of schools works according to different Boards of school education, and thus have different teaching styles and syllabi.

Also, pro is just 13 years old, I don't think students from most countries, including India, of this age have a lot of pressure as compared to the senior students. The stress levels are high in people around the age 18 globally, proving my point.

Sources: Merriam Webster
Wikipedia
Google

Thank you. Looking forward to round 2.
Posted by C_e_e 1 year ago
C_e_e
Mr. Praharsh, I appreciate your honest assessment of the busy-work feeling of school. Looking back over my schooling, there were a few classes where I learned something that was helpful for me in life. But, for the most part, I learned more in my leisure, pursuing topics that interested me, than I learned in school. In my leisure, I taught myself 7 programming languages, I read several philosophy books. Nice graphics were of interest to me, the sort that are on video games. So, I learned how to make them. I learned about diffuse, specular, and normal maps. And, I continued learning in my free time. Because, you don't get uncommon results from common uses of time. My advice is to bear the monotony as best you can, choose your teachers/professors if you can, and head boldly onto autodidact greatness in your leisure time, exploring whatever interests you.
Posted by Livin_to_Learn 1 year ago
Livin_to_Learn
I totally agree...schools are too boring for being a place where kids can go to really learn more about the world and find the pleasure in finding things out. A school is not a place where you are given free reign to explore, where you turn over rocks, where you do what makes us all human - figuring things out about the cosmos. No, it is a place where you are forced to memorize certain syllables, without even being told what they truly mean. We have inherited a bountiful world from our ancestors, we have only been in this world for a fifth of the time for which dinosaurs ruled this island of life, it is enthralling to learn that we are on a spinning ball, half of which is spinning upside down, which is going around a ball of fire, in the darkness of space where billions upon billions of such speck sized bumblebees flare up the skies of our tiny world. How can you look up and not think of the possibilities of life - life that looks nothing like the life we are familiar to here on earth - on other round wet muddy balls much like our own, going around its parent star just like our world goes around the sun.
So, you would think that schools would tell children about all this, which would be enough to blow a kids mind apart. But no, the schools seem to be too busy teaching kids more about competition for a good living than about the wonders that lay everywhere around us, softly calling out, waiting to be known.
We are curious, we like good explanations and hence, it is a very bad idea to simply make kids feel as if there is nothing about the real world that is interesting, when they can be shown just how majestic this world is, with atoms more massive than suns and universes smaller than atoms. Lets not squeeze the curiosity - the only things that makes us human - out of kids and let them explore and ask new questions, for they are going to inherit this world from us, attempting to continue this delicate flame of life, with a beautiful and deadly cosmos to explore.
Posted by Livin_to_Learn 1 year ago
Livin_to_Learn
Posted by Livin_to_Learn 1 year ago
Livin_to_Learn
Posted by Livin_to_Learn 1 year ago
Livin_to_Learn