Indian women no longer captive of tradition

Indian woman , however educated and economically independent,are still in shackles of society's traditions. somewhere she herself is not able to free herself ,somewhere others are overpowering her. still every husband feels happy finding his wife wearing bangles&putting bindis or keeping fast on KARVA CHAUTH .No husband ever tried to follow her .Every husband wants to put his wife behind the closed doors and enjoy his life like a free bird . He avoids taking any responsibility and wants to enjoy all the happy outcomes.
TAKE THE EXAMPLE of pub hangama at Manglore ,only man has right to do as he wishes Girl has to accept a boy because her father cannot afford a big dowry . If a boy is educated he becomes an asset for parents while a girl ,however educated ,talented,beautiful she is not. after marriage what to say of her own status ,her family member's are not allowed to have any relation with the girl. then she cannot take major decisions about economical matters, family planning etc. She is forced to go for foeticide

"Indian women no longer captive of tradition"

I shall be arguing for the affirmation in two relatively independent ways:
1) Indian women living in America are far from captives of tradition
2) The Indian government has been taking steps to remove traditions that previously had enslaved Indians

According to Merriam-Webster's Dictionary, an Indian is
1 a: a native or inhabitant of India or of the East Indies b: a person of Indian descent
2 a: american indian b: one of the native languages of American Indians.

Exemplified in definition 1B, yet consistent with the rest of the definitions, an "Indian" women need not live in India. To be considered "Indian," one must merely fulfill ancestral requirements. Following this reasoning, it is evident that Indian women residing in America are not captive of tradition; in fact, they are given rights to protect themselves against many traditions.

Even with women residing in India, there are still vast changes from traditional ways. For example, according to Times Magazine, India has recently passed a bill preventing men from domestically abusing women [1]. It is apparent that women are no longer slaves to Indian traditions; they have been given some of the same rights that Westerner's have. I am curious as to the nature of my opponent's sources for his extreme claims. For example, contradicting what my opponent has said, Muniruddin Qureshi's book, Social Status of Indian Women [2], shows that "The liberal egalitarian legacy of the Indian National Movement had, in turn, led to the Constitution of free India granting a position of equality to women by way of political rights." Evidently, women are *not* captive to the ways of the past; their social status has changed.

I would also like to note that my opponent's spelling and grammar is far below par, so that category should gain a Pro vote.

In conclusion, as both of my two separate contentions prove, Indian women are no longer captives of tradition. My opponent provides a few questionable examples that do not undoubtedly prove his point. As such, please vote Pro.

Thank you

Posted by sorc 7 years ago
Even though this debate probably for my opponent's debate in school, I'll humor him and accept anyway. I would also recommend that in the future you avoid one round debates, as they tend to be biased towards the second debater. Good luck =)
Posted by rougeagent21 7 years ago
Are you referring to Indian women in India, or other countries?
Posted by PoeJoe 7 years ago
Don't Indians ever get tired of this crap?
Vote Placed by Epicism 7 years ago