BravoCharlie
bina861

Indigenous

BravoCharlie

Con

I believe that Science and religion are and have been for a very long period of time in disagreement, but I am convinced that someday they will be in agreement. When science takes a step forward, religion takes a step back. The reason for my statement is because when the Christian beliefs were that the earth was flat, it was soon proved wrong by science. The exact same happened when religious people thought the sun was orbiting around the earth, which was again proved wrong by science. All those factors prove that these two ways of believing have and are in conflict over most of their argument.
On the other hand, science may just simply help explore what god has made.
bina861

Pro

Well, first off all I am having trouble understanding what this debate is about you have not made the topic very clear at all. If we are to look at your first point "when science takes a step forward religion takes a step back." I have to question which religion you're referring to since it is a very broad term. That statement is also not entirely true. Indigenous (which is the title of your debate) cultures and religions are/ have been quite in tuen with science and nature. Some tribes have had a deeper understanding of the seasons far ahead of Western religions (Judaism, Christianity, Catholicism, etc.)

http://www.dailykos.com...

It also wasn't only Christian beliefs which kept people from believing the world was flat it was also people's general lack of understanding in how the world worked. While religion and fear did play a large part in the ban of Copernicus's discoveries, the world had also not been exposed to much of anything. I mean, people were afraid that they would fall right off the edge of the world for God's sake! (pun intended). People in short, still had a very primitive mind.

So before we can continue debating I would like my opponent to clarify what it is that we are debating about. Are we debating weather or not Western religions are out of sync with science? Indigenous religions? Copernicus and Earth? I can not debate unless I have a clear understanding of the topic.
BravoCharlie

Con

BravoCharlie forfeited this round.
bina861

Pro

bina861 forfeited this round.
BravoCharlie

Con

BravoCharlie forfeited this round.
bina861

Pro

bina861 forfeited this round.
Posted by Ragnar 4 years ago
Ragnar
Plus our current understanding of the origin of the universe, originates from a Christian scientist (big bang). Atheist scientists insisted against evidence that the universe had always existed. However there is an underlying validity to your points, I just don't understand the resolution to be argued for or against.
Posted by Skrone 4 years ago
Skrone
It wasn't the Christian belief that the world was flat... It was the WORLD's belief
Posted by Cowboy0108 4 years ago
Cowboy0108
A lot of your evidence is just what society in general accepted. Sure, there was the catholic church which was corrupt, but science still thought that for a while.
Actually, there are many scientists who agree with every Christian principle and can back it up well with fact.