KJVPrewrather
slightlyirategentleman

Individualism (pro) versus collectivism (con).

KJVPrewrather

Pro

I'm an individualist since the day of my birth. I believe that individuals get rights from God and the Constitution, not the collective. I don't believe the collective has any rights at all, and I welcome any debate.
slightlyirategentleman

Con

I shall take the position that the collective is more important than the individual. Although the individual is important in many ways, the general consensus of the population should always be the primary concern for all people as we humans can not function without one another. The constitution and the fable of religion has no place in this argument.
KJVPrewrather

Pro

A collective of men want to rape a woman. Does she have rights?
slightlyirategentleman

Con

Yes, because the collective of society would collectively agree that this is a crime and would see the offenders face prison.
That's how most laws are formed, through the common consensus of morality.

Very poor straw man argument.
KJVPrewrather

Pro

God gives rights to the individual, not ther collective.
slightlyirategentleman

Con

Who's God? Your God? What about another individual's different God, did you take their god into consideration or just your own?
Fact of the matter is, god has no place in this discussion, not foremost because he's not real, but largely because individual's believe in many different gods. Therefore, your own individual thoughts and feelings about whatever deity are irrelevant when the collective does not share that same view as you. What you are choosing to do is impose your individual viewpoint on an entire group our society. That individualism has no place in a world with different ideas and views. The collective approach is to rule by common consensus, understanding and rationalism that appeals to all.
KJVPrewrather

Pro

The God of the King James Version Bible. His name is Yahweh/Jehovah. I'm not trying to turn this into a religious debate, but that's where we get our rights as individuals.
slightlyirategentleman

Con

Anyone with a different religious viewpoint will completely disagree with you.

Rights are not something anyone gives us. What we call rights are decided by collectively as societies, hence why in many places you will find yourself with fewer rights than in others.

What this boils down to is your delusion in thinking that a fictional deity gives you any sort of right. Truth of the matter is, were it not for civilised collectives of people forming societies, then you would be no different from a beast who's only individual rights are whatever you can find to eat from the wild.
Posted by DanD 6 months ago
DanD
I think that individual rights are extremely important. We start seeing atrocities when the state or the nation becomes more important than the individual. Valorizing the state over the individual allows us to make sacrifices of individual wellbeing. For instance, we might tax someone heavily so as to fund governmental programs in a welfare state. This would take away his or her incentive to work and, as this complacency spread, the economy would surely suffer.