scorpionclone
DucoNihilum

Industrial Hemp could save our Economy

Started: 5/24/2008 Category: Technology

scorpionclone

Pro

The problem: Our economy is in crisis. The US government over the span of the last 100 years has perverted the purpose and responsibility of the United States to meet their own selfish and greedy desires. It all started with the criminalization of Industrial Hemp i.e.: Reefer Madness, DuPont family, and corrupt elected officials. Because of decisions that were made 100 years ago, events have been set in motion which have led to the biggest crisis of Capitalism in our nations history.

I submit to you that the legalization of Industrial Hemp solely for the purpose of energy, infrastructure, clothing/textiles, and food additives will not only save our economy, but improve our way of life, reinvigorate our farmers, and bridge our nation into an Energy Independent country eliminating the need for Middle East Oil and the like.

1. What is Industrial Hemp?
A: Industrial Hemp is a number of varieties of Cannabis sativa L. that are intended for agricultural and industrial purposes. They are grown for their seed and fiber content as well as the resulting byproducts such as oil, seed cake, hurds, etc. Industrial Hemp is characterized by being low in THC (delta-9 tetrahydrocannabinol) and high in CBD (cannabidiol). THC is less than 1% and in Canada and Europe the current legal level for cultivation is 0.3%. The ratio of CBD to THC is greater than one.

I will make my case for this issue, I invite my opponent to prove that the track that we are currently on can be maintained without the destructions of our economy and our infrastructure.
DucoNihilum

Con

I do not disagree that Industrial Hemp would be good for the economy, and I am for in full favor of allowing production of Hemp. However, the problem with your proposition is not that you believe hemp is good, rather that you believe hemp could "save" our economy. I have issues with a few things, but I can't bring up full arguments until you answer one question. That is what do you believe problems in our economy come from? I will propose my own problem, as we know we are in a recession and costs are going up. What is causing this? Well, certainly not the lack of the hemp industry. Government intervention in the economy is the cause of this. The government inflates the economy, causing prices to rise. This hurts people who have money in savings, and is an overall bad move for the economy. Adding a single industry will have little to no effect on our economy, otherwise countries with hemp would be prosperous, and countries without it would not. Prosperity can be achieved only through the free market, and while the lack of hemp is indeed hurting our economy somewhat, the main issues come with the governments policy to regulate many industries, inflate our economy, and try to control our monetary supply, as well as our ways of life.
scorpionclone

Pro

1.
I agree that the symptoms of the economy's recent problems have been caused by more than just the lack of hemp production in the United States. However, you have to realize the decision by a few corrupt government officials in coordination with DuPont earlier in the century determined the direction of the ecomomy and set a precedent for lobbyists to further corrode our government policy against farmers and citizens in general into a general support for the corrupt. All other problems, going off the gold standard, inflation, fascist CEO's etc, began soon after this event.

These few government officials led by DuPont criminalized Hemp production in the US, at the time a billion dollar crop. This helped Dupont monopolize the market in oil based products,etc. Dupont knew that Hemp would be a major competitor and he would sink with hemp in the marketplace due to it's many valuable uses, including oil based products.

2.
Which leads us to today, where are we? Well Our farmers our growing food (corn) in order to put it in our gas tanks (Ethonal). This would make sense if we didn't need to eat. This has caused food prices to rise, (many foods are made from corn). Causing a food crisis in our country and others. Another factor associated with this is farmers have to rest thier fields because these crops deplete the ground of nutrients, loosing acres of potential crops by resting the land. Hemp actually adds nutrients to the land.

It's uses are inumerable, and yet the government knows this and refuses to utilize this tool.

<>

I submit to you that this is exaclt yhte problem and the hemp industry is just one example of government intervention into the economy. If the government had left hemp alone, we would be so much closer to an energy independent situation. The infrastructure would already be in place. America was strong before because we weren't afraid to be innovators. We created the T.V. the airplane, electricity, etc. Think of how these inventions changed the world. Hemp could do the same.

You might say we haven't lost anything because Hemp production is legal in other countries, however, we are importing products made from hemp that could be made here, hence increasing available jobs to our citizens, not to mention that our farmers are the best in the world and have the best equipment. Shouldn't we provide this advantage to American farmers??

3.
<>

I contend that adding a single industry such as this would be the equivalent of an industrial revolution of sorts. Think about it.

1. One acre of hemp could replace 4 acres of trees in producing paper products.
2. Ethanol only makes up 10% of gasoline (a waste of corn) Hemp could surpass this percentage and make up upwards of 20% of gas.
3. Hemp could create a whole new production industry from cleanig products to hygiene products reinvigorating our manufacturing industry.
4. Hemp could help reinvigorate our textile industries
5. Hemp will lower gas prices, helping us become energy independent
6. Citizens could grow hemp in thier yards and get carbon credits to help save our environment. All w have to do is add another recycle bin and have the trash guys pick up our hemp leaves.

Among many other benefits. It would revolutonize our country in such a way that it would be a literal miracle idea.

We would have to reign in the corruption no doubt, but this would be a step in that direction if we ever got the house to pass a bill like this. I mean churches could start growing it, it would be everywhere. Honestly, I don't see how our elected officials could be serious about global warming and saving the economy without seriously considering this option.

I will go into more detail if needed, but I say thet Hemp could "save" our economy.

Food Prices
Gas prices
Contruction
Environment
Manufacturing

The sky is the limit, call your congressman today

Hemp for Victory!!!
DucoNihilum

Con

You show no proof that Industrial hemp could "Save" our economy.

GDP per capita of pre-industrial countries tends to be under 10,000 dollars, whereas post industrial capitlaist countries have GDP per capitas of more than three times as much, generally. So, an industrial revolution would have to raise the average money per person by at least three times. Comparing the US which has made hemp illegal to Germany, Germany actually makes, on average, less where hemp is actually legal. explain this.
scorpionclone

Pro

<>

Do I need to repaste my last argument? I showed several reasons why Hemp "Could" save the economy, not "would" save the economy. So based on my premise you have failed to refute any of my claims as to why Hemp "could" save the economy.

Simply telling me I didn't convince you, doesn't count. You have to actually debate each of my points that I brought up in R1 in order for me to respond to you. But for the audience's sake I will refute your small apples to oranges comparison.

Let's see Germany, small country, the size of say what maybe Texas, and thats being generous.

And The US, the size of wow well it's bigger.

so now how can we compare the two?

Your not taking into account any of my arguments. What this tells me is that you don't disagree with me enough to debate the topic, and judging from your R1 argument this is probably the case.

Or you simply dont have time to debate the issue

Which is it?

The US has (as I already stated in my argument) the most productive crop fields in the world, the best equipment, the most skilled farmers. You have yet to prove that this crop would not be the key ingredient at the very least that could turn the economy around. Agriculture is in a bubble right now as we debate this topic, becasue of the rising energy costs and the drive to grow corn (food) for energy.

The benefits of growing hemp to replace corn for fuels, food ingredients, textiles, hygiene products are immense. Germany has several other contributing factors causing the counrty to be less productive. I would argue that growing hemp isn't exactly hurting thier economy. I mean the Euro isn't exactly going down right now.

Matter of fact this only strengthens my case that we need to grow industrial hemp to bring our dollar back to pre iraq war levels, through the use of hemp.

Please come up with a better argument than this, or maybe you should just forfeit
DucoNihilum

Con

DucoNihilum forfeited this round.
Posted by scr3amofr3ak 9 years ago
scr3amofr3ak
I vote pro since he had the better argument. Con had a good point but he never elaborated and you could have fit all his arguments in comments section
Posted by scorpionclone 9 years ago
scorpionclone
you forfeited, what are you talking about?

How can you make time to try and argue your point now whan you couldn't make time in the actual debate?

You didn't refute not one of my arguments, your a joke!

**laughing on the ground**

Shouldn't you be forfeiting another debate somewhere?
Posted by DucoNihilum 9 years ago
DucoNihilum
I find your remarks to be incredibly offensive. You completely ignored my argument with a pseudo-semantic argument.
Posted by scorpionclone 9 years ago
scorpionclone
you should have brought that up in the actual debate. Your opinion really means nothing at this point since you maybe typed 500 characters.

on yop of that yo obviously have 2 accounts and shouldn't win this debate becasue you voted for yourself twice.

Why would anyone vote for you, you made no argument???
classic troller
Posted by DucoNihilum 9 years ago
DucoNihilum
Your distinctions between could and would are unfounded. Simply because something is good does not mean that it could or would 'save' the economy.
Posted by scorpionclone 9 years ago
scorpionclone
Its painstakingly obvious that my opponent put no effort into this debate and by the looks of it agreed with every point I made. In fact he didnt even disagree enough to finish the debate.

I encourage the judges to vote pro on the argument.
Posted by scorpionclone 9 years ago
scorpionclone
Its all good, just trying to expedite this debate.
Posted by DucoNihilum 9 years ago
DucoNihilum
I have school and work, so sorry I can't find tons of time to debate when I wake up and start working from 6:30 onward during the week. I'll respond sometime this weekend.
Posted by scorpionclone 9 years ago
scorpionclone
Ok then you'll have to prove that in the debate, puts some points up on the board here. If you disagree so vehemenently, then whats taking so long?

You have yet to prove you have any understanding of the issue whatsoever based on your arguments. I mean come on your comparing the US to Germany? thats the best you can do?

No offense but this is making for a really poorly debated topic on your end.
Posted by DucoNihilum 9 years ago
DucoNihilum
Regardless of whether you say "Could" or "Will" it shows an immense misunderstanding of the economy.
Vote Placed by JBlake 8 years ago
JBlake
scorpioncloneDucoNihilumTied
Vote Placed by DucoNihilum 9 years ago
DucoNihilum
scorpioncloneDucoNihilumTied
Vote Placed by numa 9 years ago
numa
scorpioncloneDucoNihilumTied
Vote Placed by debatingking 9 years ago
debatingking
scorpioncloneDucoNihilumTied
Vote Placed by Olhando 9 years ago
Olhando
scorpioncloneDucoNihilumTied
Vote Placed by chevy10294 9 years ago
chevy10294
scorpioncloneDucoNihilumTied
Vote Placed by s0m31john 9 years ago
s0m31john
scorpioncloneDucoNihilumTied
Vote Placed by scr3amofr3ak 9 years ago
scr3amofr3ak
scorpioncloneDucoNihilumTied
Vote Placed by scorpionclone 9 years ago
scorpionclone
scorpioncloneDucoNihilumTied
Vote Placed by left_wing_mormon 9 years ago
left_wing_mormon
scorpioncloneDucoNihilumTied