MisterH-D
sherlockholmesfan2798

Infinity+1 equal to infinity?

sherlockholmesfan2798

MisterH-D

Con

Infinity(mathematics): A number greater than any assignable or countable number

That was the definition i was given for infinity. Basically what it means is that infinity+1 is infinity. But look at this if let's say we measure the distance from person A to infinity, and we measure the distance from person B to infinity, where person B is a meter in front of A. Then logically, the magnitude of distance from A to infinity, is 1 greater than the distance B is from infinity. This means infinity + 1 is not infinity but actually (infinity +1).
sherlockholmesfan2798

Pro

I see you have not stated where I should start with this debate so I will start this debate on round 1 as you have also.
I also believe we should cite all sources.

Infinity- unlimited extent of time, space, or quantity

If you are to go to from Person A to infinity then you would not have a limit. Therefore if B was to stand one meter in front of A then they would still be the same amount of distance as they both do not have limits. This may be hard to understand but I will attempt to elucidate this matter.

Infinity is not a number it is a concept. This is useful in mathematics. For example if I was to go
1.33 there is a limit to the number 3. However if I went
1.33333333333 I could say I was trying to make infinity threes therefore meaning there in no limit to threes. This is where "infinity" becomes useful. But as I said it's a concept not a number. In your example the distance would be limitless so one could not be greater than the other.

http://www.merriam-webster.com...
MisterH-D

Con

MisterH-D forfeited this round.
sherlockholmesfan2798

Pro

This debate can not continue as my opponent has forfeited.
MisterH-D

Con

MisterH-D forfeited this round.
sherlockholmesfan2798

Pro

My argument still stands.
However I recommend you to glance at the link below as users on this site have informed that there is much more to this debate then I originally believed.
https://en.wikipedia.org...
I found the information given quite enlightening and I believe others on this site may as well.

Enjoy the article and vote pro.
Posted by MisterH-D 2 years ago
MisterH-D
I present you my excuses sherlockholmesfan2798 for wasting your time. Completely forgot about it. Actually this could have been a good debate. I'm also sorry for excusing my self this late. I was actually taking part in a school debate when I remembered it.
Posted by UndeniableReality 3 years ago
UndeniableReality
I didn't say that you were at fault. I said that neither your's nor Con's posts portray any deep understanding of mathematics or infinity. I would guess that neither has studied Cantor's work.

That being said, I could nitpick if I wanted to. To say person A and B are the same distance from this infinite distance away is slightly incorrect semantically, since this phrasing treats infinity as an actual quantity in a sense. But I don't think that's a big deal.

There are some other things I could say, but it wouldn't be appropriate to say them during the debate, as it would sort interfere with the arguments of both sides.
Posted by sherlockholmesfan2798 3 years ago
sherlockholmesfan2798
@SNP1,@Undeniable You haven't explained where I am at fault. This was the definition I was given and my points in this debate(until rebutted by pro) are valid. Please explain where I am at fault as you have not done so.
Posted by UndeniableReality 3 years ago
UndeniableReality
It's not clear that either of them has an in depth understanding of mathematics. Still, hopefully this will turn out interesting.
Posted by SNP1 3 years ago
SNP1
This is too easy for Con if he actually understands mathematics.
Posted by UndeniableReality 3 years ago
UndeniableReality
Just want to point out that there are actually different definitions of infinity, some greater than others.
Vote Placed by lannan13 3 years ago
lannan13
MisterH-Dsherlockholmesfan2798Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture