TeddyTed
GMan7112

Infliction of cruelty with a good conscience is delight to moralists. That is why they invented hell

GMan7112

TeddyTed

Con

[T]he infliction of cruelty with a good conscience is a delight to moralists. That is why they invented Hell." This is a quote written by Bertrand Russell. While it is true that due to the advent of hell, crime must have been reduced but Hell, as we currently understand it, is the product of several snowballing misconceptions and irresponsibly translated scriptures. Many Christians believe that the God of the Bible invented or designed Hell.The concept of a torturous, demon-governed "underworld" must not be what a loving and merciful god would make.
GMan7112

Pro

Hello and good luck to you! I believe I will be arguing that this is not true so I should actually be the con side. A few things about your opening statement.
1. Bertrand Russel is an atheist who has no direct exposure to Christianity- without a primary observation, Russel is not qualified to make a statement.
2. Where is the evidence that people have continually mistranslated scriptures? Christianity and other religions like it have been recorded with the same teachings for thousands of years. If one will argue that translations are inaccurate, one must go all the way back to the beginning and make an assumption there is no evidence to back.
3. The God of the Bible is not only loving but just. To use a common analogy, would it be acceptable for a judge to let a man guilty beyond a reasonable doubt of murder to go free? Of course not. In this way, God punishes people for their wrongs as justly as is fit. This makes it fair for good people to be loved.
4. You are trying to prove that this statement is true while there has been no evidence (nor evidence of the existence of evidence) presented besides a single quote.
TeddyTed

Con

Give up! herherher
GMan7112

Pro

Why should I give up? As of right now, all of the evidence points in my favor.

Moralist (n): a person who teaches or promotes morality.
a person given to moralizing.
a person who behaves in a morally commendable way.

Is it moral to enjoy the suffering of others, even with a good conscience? No, which is why Bertrand Russell is wrong. A true moralist will not enjoy the righteous suffering of others but understand its necessity- Hell is a just punishment. Any person who understands morality understands that suffering is punishment for bad actions; just but not enjoyable.
TeddyTed

Con

I'm giving up ~~~ not you ~40; ~40;
GMan7112

Pro

GMan7112 forfeited this round.
TeddyTed

Con

TeddyTed forfeited this round.
GMan7112

Pro

So I guess I win? I don't really know how this works.
TeddyTed

Con

TeddyTed forfeited this round.
Vote Placed by dsjpk5 2 years ago
dsjpk5
TeddyTedGMan7112Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Concession