9spaceking
dhumphreys17

Inside Out Vs ???

9spaceking
Started: 2/20/2016 Category: Movies

9spaceking

Pro

Round one, my opponent must choose an ANIMATED movie (or, an animated-live-action combination movie). He will argue it is better than Inside Out and I will argue Inside Out is better than that animated movie. To avoid loop holes, obviously he cannot choose Inside Out.

He may choose to either ACCEPT, and have all other rounds to argue or refute, or BEGIN, and have to pass the last round. It is the opponent's choice.
Other rules:
-4 rounds
-72 hours
-8,000 characters
dhumphreys17

Con

Although I hereby choose the ACCEPT option for this debate, deferring first argument to you, I will note that my selected movie of argument is Toy Story 3.
9spaceking

Pro

I will give arguments to why Inside Out is a superior quality film to Toy Story 3:

1. Superior Character Development

Within Toy Story one, Woody and Buzz were the main characters whom were developed, a little along with Andy and Sid. In Toy Story Two, the malicious Stinky Pete and Jessie were developed. In Toy Story three however, the development dwindles down to basically Barbie, Ken and Lotso. With the previous two films already outlining the smart, brave but sometimes flawed Woody and the equally-brave spaceman Buzz, there is practically no room of development for these two in TS3. There's nothing we learn about them that we didn't know before. While Lotso is a very interesting character with a admittedly good backstory, there is practically nothing to Ken and Barbie is pretty consistent with her personality. In contrast, Inside Out manages to sneak in Riley's development for the whole film by shaping all five of her emotions, focusing especially upon Joy and Sadness, both whom slowly realize about their true purposes and go outside of just being "happy and optimistic leader" contrasted by the "blue depressing blob who none of the other emotions know what to do about". There is a LOT of room for the development within Inside Out, while TS3 has a quite limited scope due to its preceding films rigidly outlining its main characters.

2. More Awards

From (Toy Story) https://en.wikipedia.org...; compared to https://en.wikipedia.org...; (Inside Out), it is clear that the one with the more rewards and recognition is Inside Out. To prove that rewards mean a great movie, let's take The Godfather, the number two movie on IMDB, a perfect 100 on Metacritic, a nigh-perfect 99% on Rottentomatoes, and number one on LetterBoxd. On IMDB it is shown that it has won 26 awards and nominated for 27: http://www.imdb.com.... On the other hand, let us take a random movie below The Godfather objectively worse than the Godfather, Catch Me If You Can. http://www.imdb.com.... It only has 11 rewards with 36 nominations. If my opponent does not believe me and think I am merely cherry-picking, let me give you another extremely close-rating example: The sequel to the Godfather is barely rated lower than The Godfather, but this is consistent on all the websites I have listed before. On IMDB, Godfather part II has only won 16 awards and 20 nominations. http://www.imdb.com.... It is clear that my rating system is quite logical.

I am aware, my opponent may possibly bring up some arguments concerning TS3's more revenue than Inside Out. However, more revenue obviously does not directly and absolutely correlate with being the best movie of all time. Based on the top-grossing movies of all time-- http://www.the-numbers.com...; we would assume Avatar and/or Titanic must be pretty good, however, on IMDB, http://www.imdb.com...; they do not even appear in the top 250. Even The Force Awakens is merely 86, and The Avengers lies at an even lower 225, while ironically Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows part 2 is actually at a higher 217. As you can see I have prevented my opponent from making a potential argument since revenue =/= good movie quality, while many rewards highly suggests so.

3. Inside Out Willing to Take Greater Risks; making more sense

Toy Story 3 didn't have the main characters truly take any lasting damage. In the end, everyone lived happily ever after, but nobody really learned anything (except maybe Barbie, who learned that she should take action for herself). But Barbie is just one character. Inside Out took many risks, and reaped just as much rewards. In an almost plot-twist fashion, the lovable character Bing Bong sacrificed himself for Joy. Inside Out's main character even came close to becoming completely emotionless, only saved by the plot relevation that all the joyous memories were only there with the help of sadness. Toy Story 3 isn't deep--it doesn't really show us anything about real life. It might convince some kids to not throw their toys away or replace them, but it won't allow them to think of Inside Out--to allow yourself to feel your true emotions, to sacrifice past memories for the better. It is especially that Inside Out's post-credit scenes that allow us to truly think about our emotions, while allowing a lot of funny comedy to assist those scenes. Toy Story 3 even had the aliens save the main characters--while this does help the underdog, the aliens were most likely forgotten about. The fact that they inexplicably managed to get onto some kind of claw machine, getting there the exact moment for the main characters to be saved, is absurd (especially considering that either the shoveling machine or the aliens would have to run at the pace of the character's net pace, which is pretty inconsisten and hard to calculate (and why would it be so coincidental? It might as well have been earlier, later, or even never since there's no telling where the shoveling machine could have ended up. Despite being a children's film, this plot hole is ridiculous even for a "Hollywood solution", while Inside Out has little to no plot holes. (The biggest one is arguably fear being unable to resign, but even this makes sense since emotions can't just "quit", they have to eventually come back sooner or later)

I still have 2,500 more characters but I believe in my rebuttals I will use more (thus why the 8,000 character limit I imposed). Onto you, my opponent.

dhumphreys17

Con

dhumphreys17 forfeited this round.
9spaceking

Pro

How lame.
dhumphreys17

Con

dhumphreys17 forfeited this round.
dhumphreys17

Con

dhumphreys17 forfeited this round.
Posted by 9spaceking 1 year ago
9spaceking
toy story vs inside out would be a FAR more fair match up in my opinion. XP
Posted by 9spaceking 1 year ago
9spaceking
Do the Right Thing is not an animated so no. Code Geass IS animated so yes (assuming it is a movie, I can't be too sure)
Posted by SocialDemocrat 1 year ago
SocialDemocrat
Can I use Code Geass or Do the Right Thing.
Vote Placed by fire_wings 1 year ago
fire_wings
9spacekingdhumphreys17Tied
Reasons for voting decision: FF.
Vote Placed by U.n 1 year ago
U.n
9spacekingdhumphreys17Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture
Vote Placed by JustAnotherFloridaGuy 1 year ago
JustAnotherFloridaGuy
9spacekingdhumphreys17Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture.