dayton_mack55
Zarif_Zai94

Inspirational Music

Started: 9/16/2014 Category: Music

dayton_mack55

Pro

Alright so as my first debate, I'd rather be talking about something inspirational and happy rather than shooting negative, derogatory comments about each other's opinions since we all have a right to them. So for this challenge, it's going to be a little weak since I haven't been experienced yet. The challenge- lyric extrapolations. Take a song and artist and take specific lyrics from their song and explain why it deserves the title as most inspirational song.

Format:
1. Artist name and song title
2. Lyrics from song
3. Extrapolation of lyrics/argument on why it is the most inspirational song
4. Argument rebuttal (optional) on why the opponents song is not worthy of earning title and why you think this. Again, this portion is optional and not needed. It is there if you want to add a little more argument to the debate.

This is an opportunity to show individualism and creativity. Let's debate in a happy, inspirational and fun manner.

My debate:
1. Breakfree by Ariana Grande
2. "This is the part when I say I don't want you. I'm stronger than I've been before. This is the part when I breakfree. Because I can't resist it any more." (x2)
3. I choose this song because it inspires me in many ways.
"This is the part when I say I don't want you."- I feel that these lyrics can be connected to anything that any individual is trying to overcome. Hardships, drugs or alcohol, a relationship, abuse or anything that needs to be overcome. The lyrics are saying that we can be overcome that hardship no matter how hard or difficult it may be. We all have the power to do it, we just have to take the individual initiative to do it.

"I'm stronger than I've been before."- we all have hardships. Things that bring us down at times. Nobody can handle every emotion that is thrown their way. But through overcoming those hardships as stayed in the first part, we can become better. Stronger, wiser, and better than before when we were being brought down by the issues.

"This is the part where I breakfree. Because I can't resist it any more."- this is our release. This is us becomin the empowered individual that we can all become after we stand up, become who we are, and face the challenge. This is is not falling and becoming a broken individual. This is us becoming the individuals that we all want to be. Smart, beautiful, powerful, etc. it can be anything. This is us breaking free and becoming who we are because no matter what, we are that person, we just have to find it. By breaking free and searching for ourselves, when we finally figure out who we are and what we want to do with or lives, we will truly breakfree and become stronger before.

I can't wait to finally discuss this with another creative and amazing mind out there. Looking forward to meeting my competitor! Good luck to whoever decides to accept my challenge!:)
Zarif_Zai94

Con

Hey! You're lucky , Im a beginner too. So be nice to me, please? :-)

Alright so, thank you for instigating such an eccentric and eye-catching topic! As the original poster has pointed out that this "debate" is going to be weak, I'd like to propound an "improvised" format, which I believe will help our "debate" to flow smoother. I assume we'll be conducting the debate my way.

First round : Introduction should be composed of acceptance by opposing party , proposal of the "best song", presentation of the lyrics from the song, extrapolation of lyrics and also argument as to why respective party's choice is better. ( Don't worry, the OP has already done that"
Second round : Support and Rebuttal argument
Third round : Rebuttal argument
Fourth round : Closing statement

As an opening, I'd like to say that music plays a predominant role in our life and needless to say is highly valued by the modern society especially amongst the youth and therefore it is important that the teenagers nowadays be exposed to the positive music instead of most mainstream music that has been played over the national radios. So an inspirational music should not only be limited to the song itself but also the artist!
First what defines a good a artist ? To answer that I'll point out what a bad icon from the music industry is; Simple! A singer or songstress that doesn't give out a negative influence to the listeners. For example, I am sure that everybody here agrees that Justin Bieber is bad influence to the us and especially to the kids nowadays! Therefore, a good artist should not be in any way directly related to juvenile acts. Now, what is an inspirational music? Well, the answer to this question is rather subjective. A straightforward idea would be a song that reaches out to the morality side of its listeners instead of just provides them with pure entertainment.

1.
Now here's the details of my " inspirational music. "
Song : Trouble Is A Friend
Singer : Lenka ( I hope that you've heard of her >_< ! She's not so mainstream as Ariana Grande. )

2.3.
I'll start with the chorus part;
"But He's there in the dark, he's there in my heart
He waits in the winds, he's gotta play a part
Trouble is a friend, yeah trouble is a friend of mine, oh oh"
A catchy part, I'll say! So here is my interpretation : From a brief glance, one can come to an evanescent conclusion that the songstress is trying to say that ; TROUBLE IS EVERYWHERE. I'd like to add that trouble does not only indicate the misfortune or a negative event, but also can be taken as "challenges". Therefore, CHALLENGES ARE EVERYWHERE! They hide in places that you can't perceive or expect. They are all around you. Challenges are an essence life, the shadow to a being under the light and can never be cast away!
So, instead of struggling with "trouble" or rejecting its presence, what one should just do is to just tolerate and embrace it. Now it might seem ambiguous and too metaphorical or figurative but imagine; All these while with the struggle with examination, coping with break-ups etc. etc. etc. ; Has it ever come across your mind to just say " F#@k it, what does kill me makes me stronger! I'll just continue with my life", despite of what the final outcome might be? It actually helps! Instead of bearing a "what-seem-like-an-eternal" emotional distress, why not just abandon your fancy dream and start a new one. Learn to let go!

Now, the beginning of the song sounds like this;
"Trouble he will find you no matter where you go, oh oh
No matter if you're fast, no matter if you're slow, oh oh
The eye of the storm or the cry in the morn, oh oh
You're fine for a while but you start to lose control"
I praise the Lenka for including this element in this song making me wanting to know more about the song. Kudos! She didn't introduce who "he" is in the early part, but leaves the listener with the mystery. Sounds like there are hints of sinister. Questions like " What could it be" Shadows? Evil? Rapist? " will ponder! I have not much interpretation to be pointed, as it is obvious: You can't run from Trouble

And lastly, the finale of "Trouble is a Friend";
"So don't be alarmed if he takes you by the arm
I won't let him win, but I'm a sucker for his charm
Trouble is a friend, yeah trouble is a friend of mine, oh oh!
Ooo, oh ooo, ooo ahh"

She put an end to the climax by saying that challenges or troubles should always be expected. Once in a while one might break down, but one will not just give up just because the gravity of the situation is just above an average standard I am sure that this is something that allllll of us have experienced many times! Be it the bad treatments that you get for being part of the LGBT community, drop outs, defective relationship; anything! Even to the littlest of things; forgetting where you keep your keys and that is something that I experience a lot. So once in a while, after going out for a jog with my earphones on and I realize after a few minutes that I forgot to take my keys, I'll just turn my iPod on and listen to Trouble Is A Friend at the maximum volume. It does keep my mind off and makes me feel the thrill to run instead of being overwhelmed by frustration!

In a nutshell, the song itself is inspirational and Lenka, the girl with a lilting and silken vice, is undeniably not a bad influence, ergo a good songstress, making her music; AN INSPIRATIONAL MUSIC! To OP; good luck to you too ;)

PS: Actually I wanted to choose Anaconda by Nicki to make the debate funnier! But it was a bad idea after a while.. Haha
dayton_mack55

Pro

Hey! Thank you so much for accepting my challenge and being my opponent! Hearing your argument, I am very excited to see this continue on and learn more about your personal viewpoints! It should be exciting!

After hearing the change in content (good improvements by the way) I feel as though i should probably expand on the lyrics and focus on a larger, broader range of the music and the artist. Here goes...

"If you want it, take it
I should've said it before
Tried to hide it, fake it
I can't pretend anymore

I only wanna die alive
Never by the hands of a broken heart
Don't wanna hear you lie tonight
Now that I've become who I really am

[x2:]
This is the part when I say I don't want ya
I'm stronger than I've been before
This is the part when I break free
'Cause I can't resist it no more

You were better, deeper
I was under your spell
Like a deadly feeling babe
On the highway to hell, yeah

I only wanna die alive
Never by the hands of a broken heart
Don't wanna hear you lie tonight
Now that I've become who I really am

[x2:]
I'm stronger than I've been before
This is the part when I break free
'Cause I can't resist it no more

Oh my baby, ooh

Thought of your body
I came alive
It was lethal
It was fatal
In my dreams it felt so right
But I woke up every time

Oh, baby

[x2:]
I'm stronger than I've been before
This is the part when I break free
'Cause I can't resist it no more"

As Ariana also stated, it is unfortunate about the amount of grammatical errors in the song, but I fell in love with the content almost as much as I did her:) I feel the content is what deserves the attention and then why she is an inspiring role model.

The song- Break free has so much to do in the terms of realizing that we are who we are and we can be okay with that. This song is written in the terms of a relationship and becoming stronger in the process of the lows and downfalls of the relationship, but in more literal context, it can be applied to everyday life and the situations we all face. "Tried to hide it, fake it. I cant pretend anymore."- Anybody reading this ever have an issue that they didnt want to talk about at first happenings? I know I have. This tells me that I will always have those moments when I feel as though I have reached my lowest a low and that all I want to do is hope and pray that its not real. But thats not the truth. I have to face those problems. But I can do it. We all can. And we can be better and stronger and we can grow in the process.

"I only wanna die alive, never by the hands of a broken heart. Don't wanna hear you lie tonight, now that I've become who I really am."- This strictly deals with her relationship and that all she wanted was honesty after realizing who she was and that she was strong and powerful. But can't this mean something else? "I only wanna die alive, never by the hands of a broken heart." I personally interpret this phrase as the situations we encounter in our lives and how we choose to handle them. I feel that the broken heart discussed represents me, or anybody else agreeing with me, and us feeling that we are broken and need to be healed. We dont want to go through everyday life and feel like nothing and that we are worthless. Our broken hearts need to be mended. Then when we finally realize who we are as individuals and what we are capable of, that is the moment when we will become okay and powerful. That is the moment when we realize that we are strong and we can love ourselves for being unique and we can be okay.

"You were better, deeper, I was under your spell. Like a deadly feeling, on the highway to hell babe."- This phrase pretty much summarizes in repetition, the ultimatum of the last paragraph. We all have times when we are influenced by something. Art, sports, music, fashion, entertainment, books, etc... We are all under a spell of some sort when we are influenced by many things, because those things are the forces that drive and motivate us to do what we do. Without most of them, many of us would feel incomplete and lost. Many times, they will feel like the deaths of us. Personally, my life is based upon music, and any other form of art or self-expression. Music, dancing, painting, drawing, writing, etc... Without them, I feel that my life would be a mistake and that I would be completely lost without them. They help to shape who I am as an individual as I am sure, they do for many other people. They help to teach me that I am powerful. I am okay, good, powerful, and amazing for being who I am. We can all be this way.

"This is the part when I say I dont want ya, Im stronger than Ive been before. This is the part when I break free. 'Cause I cant resist it no more."- When we finally learn to release of all the pressures and expectations and learn to be okay with our own unique individualism, that is the part when we will rise from the ashes, break free, and become the person that we are meant to become and be happy with who we are. Breaking free and accepting yourself for your own unique individualism is one, if not the hardest, obstacle that we will ever overcome. It is so hard to accept yourself and realize that being yourself and being unique is okay. Break free and live the life you deserve. Whether you are homosexual, diagnosed with a disease, young or old, crippled, nice or mean, we are all beautiful and we all deserve happiness. That is what this song is saying. Although it is written into the context of a relationship, we can dig deeper and realize that is written to mean much more. Myself, us, YOU are BEAUTIFUL FOR WHO YOU ARE. Nobody can ever take that away from us. No matter what, being unique, different, and individualistic, is okay and it makes us beautiful. Learn to realize who you are and break free from everything that is trying to bring us down. That is what this song is about.

Now taking a detour, I will more deeply discuss the reasons why Ariana Grande is inspirational and why she is one of the best role models and most inspirationally influencing people in the world today.

I would love to also have the opportunity to rebuttal against my opponent right now, but I cant. I find myself at a loss of words to do so. Due to the fact that, I too love Lenka. As I was preparing the topic of the debate, I find it ironic that I, myself, was about to pick " Trouble is a Friend" by Lenka as well. I laugh at the choice of my opponent only as I was about to use the exact same artist and song when I created the debate. Very well thought and picked on my opponents part!:)

Now handing the debate to the hands of my opponent. I loved all of your points and couldn't agree with you more. Also wanting to choose the same song before I changed my mind, I feel as though I can agree with you on many things, and we could enjoy discussing many subjects of the world and every aspect of life:) Good luck to you and I cant wait to read more.
Zarif_Zai94

Con

:-) ! You're welcome. Glad to know that. Hopefully I live up to your expectation but do hope fr something less, ok? Or else you might be disappointed.

First, I'd like to say that I'll be a little more strict on my part! Since you played the game that way, I'll just include the full lyrics too although I'm sure you don't require one! ;-)

Lenka - Trouble Is A Friend

Trouble he will find you no matter where you go, oh oh
You're fine for a while but you start to lose control

He's there in the dark, he's there in my heart
He waits in the wings, he's gotta play a part

Trouble is a friend but trouble is a foe, oh oh
And no matter what I feed him he always seems to grow, oh oh
He sees what I see and he knows what I know, oh oh
So don't forget as you ease on down the road

Trouble is a friend, yeah trouble is a friend of mine, oh oh

So don't be alarmed if he takes you by the arm

Oh how I hate the way he makes me feel
And how I try to make him leave, I try
Oh oh, I try!

But He's there in the dark, he's there in my heart

Ooo, oh ooo, ooo ahh

The eye of the storm or the cry in the mourn, oh oh

Oh how I hate the way he makes me feel
And how I try to make him leave, I try
Oh oh, I try!

Ooo, oh ooo, ooo ahh

I'd like to recommence my argument as to why my choice is ideal for this debate. Alright, first and foremost my song reaches out for EVERYONE unlike most of the mainstream music nowadays!

Let's do a mini experiment! Close your eyes and think of a song!

Now is it about love? I'm sure it is. People these days are bombarded with love-themed songs too much. Who needs that? Let's face it, we live in reality and we don't need to hear any more non-viable, fairy tales and romance. As stated in his round 2 argument, the song " Break free " does not limited to only endearment, fondness to a particular someone but also centralizes the theme homosexuality, health disease, individual morality etc etc ,to name a few.

For this I'd like to use my opponent's own word that controverts his statement of the versatility of this song. Quoting;

" "I only wanna die alive, never by the hands of a broken heart. Don't wanna hear you lie tonight, now that I've become who I really am."- This strictly deals with her relationship and that all she wanted was honesty after realizing who she was and that she was strong and powerful. But can't this mean something else? "

As he wondered, could it be a reference other than romance affair? Of course, not. The song itself is a love song. Now you must agree that an "art" should be continuous and should not mix up with anything outside its theme's boundary especially music. I'm sure some readers would be at loss at what I'm saying, so now I'd like to provide a more conceivable proof. Now if a song is about a deep confession to a love interest, it would be ludicrous and preposterous if the singer include some nationalism or drugs in the song isn't it? It would have lost its consistency as a good piece of music.

Therefore I'd like to counter my opponent's assertion, that his chosen song does in fact include other themes such as health (really??). An unambiguous and straight forward taken-from-the-lyrics-itself example would be this;

"Oh my baby, ooh

Thought of your body
I came alive"

Now what's your interpretation when you (my opponent and the viewers) first came across this part of this song? You grinned a little, didnt you? I don't need to clarify that, now do I? From the most "trustworthy" site, wikipedia ; Musically, the song explores EDM and electropop genres.

An EDM song should always be fun, simple and plain and revolves around its musical quality; beat and background music and stuffs and therefore should not require listeners to actually think much of its lyrics. Should such lyrics be implying anything else, that is only your own interpretation. A quickie hear would suggest the more prominent meaning.

Lastly, I'd like to argue with pro regarding his idea that be one " ....crippled, nice or mean, we are all beautiful and we all deserve happiness". I'm sorry but I don't think I'd label my bullies, mean girls from my high school "beautiful and deserve happiness". Yeah, probably they're good on the outside, but without those thick, make-ups on their pretentious face, they're the ugliest people of all and deserve life-changing moment of their life! Ergo, I'd like assert that NOT EVERYBODY IS BEAUTIFUL AND DESERVE HAPPINESS. Hey, let's face we're no child and we live in real world not in some virtual dimension where everybody is nice.

To counter my opp's choice of songstress, I too am at loss ! I am a new fan of Ariana Grande!! XD True, she should serve as a good role model, but I think that youths nowadays should take people from the Hollywood industry as role models! There are far better and more eligible great people , who actually do things and lead others, out there, such as Mandel Nelson, Bill Gates, Steve Jobs , Sun Yat Seng, Gandhi, Alexander The Great, ! For me the mainstream songs should always be conjectured and taken as pure entertainment. If you want inspiration, you should always check out the old, retro or the non-mainstream indie music. I myself fancy Lana Del Rey and Hayley WIlliams a lot but I wouldn't classify them as "role-models". Some really do inspire you, I gotta admit that! I had goosebumps every time I listen to Try by P!nk and be in awe when the radio plays Same Love by Macklemore ( I can totally relate myself to it XD ).

To end my round 2 argument I'd like to highlight that my ideal song isn't as localised as my opponent's! It also doesn't shove only romance matter//irreality to our face but covers a wider scope. Even my opponent himself admitted, my ideal song was initially his. So, I believe now that I am at advantage. I however am strict and sanguine at my choice of song and think that when it comes to which song is better, I am optimistic that Trouble is a Friend trumps Breakfree. Besides, as conceded by Pro, the song is full of grammatical errors. Lastly, it is to be reminded that my opponent has presented a lamentable justification.

Thus, back to you Pro
dayton_mack55

Pro

First of all, to my opponent well done. This debate was a lot more powerful than I could've ever imagined. But, wow. Talk about going for blood. Is this debate supposed to be an attack at each other for our songs, or is it supposed to be helping to spread inspiration and hope throughout others lives. I am not going to lie, and say that I don't agree with some of your points. I do. But, I'm also not just going to sit here and slam The material that you put out just as you did to me. I feel as were both entitled to our own opinions and it be nice to actually be able to see expression of that from both sides. I understand that we are supposed to enforce rebuttalment against one another, but talk about going for my jugular.

Now as to get on with the rest of the debate, I never once said that this entire song was based strictly on other things aside from a relationship. I set in stone said that this was also based upon a relationship but that if we had enough insight to actually look deeper into the song, then we would actually find deeper meaning and something that could be reinforced into other ideas for all of us. When you quoted that little section of the song saying "oh my baby, oh thought of your body I ca alive", I said this in particular was part of the relationship segment on the song. But again never once did I say that this song was strictly about other things other than a relationship. I set in stone said that it was also about a relationship but if we would look deeper into the song, then we would actually find more meaning behind it and what we can get from it and what it represents for every individual out there. And of course a "quickie" hear wouldnt immediately reinforce the idea of alternate ultimatums and themes of the song. Again, interpret the song and don't get stuck in just "oh, this is cool." Or "oh, that sounds awesome." Every song has a story. take the time to actually realize what it means and what the point is that is trying to be heard by everybody.

As for your comment on the "mean girls from my high school", I applaud you on bringing up this point, and I will not retract my comments that everyone deserves happiness. Everybody has been through hard times. And yes, those people that receive joy from seeing other people in pain and putting them through that, you don't deserve happiness. So as this comment was brought to my attention,I will not retract my original, and same everybody deserves happiness. Because apparently everybody doesn't. But the point of that comment was that we can all break free. You can become home somebody who is powerful, amazing, wonderful, inspirational, and good.people have the power to change. I've seen it myself. I've done it myself. And I know that we are all capable of change. So for all the mean girls in high school, we may not feel that they deserve to break free and become somebody different and become somebody else other than that rude and disrespectful person in a past time. I also agree that not everybody is nice. But I know that we can all change and that we all have the right to break free and to experience that sensation.

And now to my opponent, as they say "to counter my ops choice of songstress, I too am at a loss! I am a new fan of Ariana grande! True she should serve as a role model, but I think that youths nowadays should take people from the Hollywood industry as remodels! ", then why do you seem to be slamming her art so much? If you are a quotes new fan of Ariana grande quote, then why is all this coming back as a derogatory and hurtful comment to her art and what she puts out for her fans and her career? All my opponent wants to do here is to slam my choice of song for being a relationship song. Well I think, that my opponent should gain some insight and find deeper meaning and songs rather than just what is strictly stated as lyrics of the song. They want to slam my choice of artist and song because it is a "mainstream "artist and not a set aside unknown.

Just because my opponent song is it strictly based upon a relationship and having to work for deeper meaning, doesn't mean that that relationship status is it in their song. For all individuals reading this debate, back at the weirds my opponent provided and take deeper insight into what the song is providing. It too, represents some relationship status in a way. I don't need to further on this as most of you will be able to figure it out for yourself just by taking a look at the lyrics.

True, I did say that a good song choice for my debate would be "trouble is a friend", but obviously I didn't pick it now did I? Is there a reason? Obviously there has to be one. I don't feel it deserved a title of most inspirational song. So for my opponent to say that they feel that their advantage now, look at to the fact that I didn't choose their song. Obviously I saw flaws and as they see it wasn't mine. So if I had chosen the same song is my opponent, then they would be at an advantage. But it's nice to know that they think that they've already won the debate because of the similarity in musical taste. It's Cute honestly. But just because we share a common musical taste, doesn't at all for a second give you an advantage. But it's nice to see you thinking you are ahaed when that's clearly not the case. I legitamately stayed that the song had many grammatical errors. Who cares? Honestly? Are we turning this into a spelling test or English test instead of an inspirational song debate? Next time, it'd be nice to know that you are trying to change the rules again. But I don't believe I asked for another English test. I asked for a debate on inspirational songs. Thus meaning that I could care less about the grammatical errors. I care about the content. This is the problem at hand and the issues we are discussing. Not who has the better English. But thank you. Nice try. Next time, try arguing an actual issue.

Thanks for all your opinions, but to my opponent, it's cute to see that you think you are so far ahead when this isn't the situation at all. But confidemce is a strong key of victory. Just don't let it get to your head and turn to cockiness.

Overall, a good argument, but next time, try not to attack every piece of a song that is inspirational beyond a doubt. Don't forget the woman singing it. One of the most looked up to, admired, and influential women in the entire world. Almost everyone knows her name. How many people have heard of Lenka? Oh yeah, not many. So I was very pleased with your argument and cannot wait to hear back from you. Congratulations on the wonderful debate and good luck to continue on.
Zarif_Zai94

Con

Thank you, Pro, Im honored to receive such a pleasant compliment from my opponent.l! :-)

But I have to admit.. This is getting out of hands and things are getting crass. But it aint no debate without everyone going at each other's throat, isnt it? Well, I'm going to tone down this time.

" Is this debate supposed to be an attack at each other for our songs, or is it supposed to be helping to spread inspiration and hope throughout others lives"

To answer your question whether this is going to be a cutthroat event or a serene exchange of ideas, I frankly am more inclined towards the second option but I'd like to keep things balanced.
For that I'd like to apologize for going off the intended track and allegedly trying to go for your throat. Such discorteous, driven-by-overexcitement act, was purely unpredimeditated . :-(
.
Alright, back to the topic.. First, I'll start with a soft rebuttal. I'd like to highlight some misunderstandings that Pro had. Alright, yes indeed, Pro didn't stress how love-centred the song Breakfree is, but it is obvious isn't it? Well, of course for music aficonado like you, you might get a sense there's something deeper that our beloved talented songstress were trying to imply.
But average people; those who burn the candle at both ends to study, people who buckle down for their labour job seriously don't care about the hidden meaning.

Nevertheless, it's great that you point that out, Pro : -) !! Hopefully people will appreciate music more like you! I myself didn't really fancy this song, but after giving it another hear , I get what you mean ;-)

I personally love her intro!! I can totally relate it to myself!! Im living in a society where fabulous people like me can't be fabulous and have to pretend that I am just a normal boy from a good family. Sometimes I can't fake it and just express my drama "queen" side XD because I tried to hide it but at times I can't fake it anymore.

Next, you mentioned about your retraction and you got me a little confused! Anyways, I don't thrive under Schadenfreude and honostly, it hurts me a little if the same mean girls who did me things back then ,live a great life now ! But, I'd love to see them Breakfree from the schakles of selfishness and the need to get attention by asserting dominance over the innocent, turning into a better person!

But wait, I didn't slam Ariana Grande, did I? I was only trying to say that the theme is nothing new. That's all. I admit, she has a great voice! After recently listened to her duo with Iggy I currently am looking forward for another big hits from her! Regarding the grammatical errors, well a grammar Nazi might!

I too believe that everybody is entitled to their own opinion. And in my opinion, its sad to see that many people ( teenagers especially ) prefer to choose artists as their role models. I mean there are other great people, leaders, inventors, humanitarian advocators, religious figures who deserve the title role model (this should be a debate!). I myself am picky when it comes to having to choose an inspirational song. And one of the reasons I chose Lenka was because that she isn't so popular. Look at what popularity did to people. Some of the most obvious examples; Justin Bieber, Miley Cyrus . And this doesn't only happen to singers, this happens to everybody. Now is popularity one of the essence of inspiration? No!

Another point to be added, you don't need to be popular to do something inspirational! Something I'd like to write next is not directed to Ariana Grande, but to everyone, generally! Doing something inspirational to earn popularity is hypocritical and beats the purpose of doing deeds ( or even charity ) to others! I know that what Pro probably meant was that Ariana has a stronger fanbase, so is able to influence more people. Now its Quality vs Quantity, and I believe if we start debating about it, we'll never reach the end of it.

As I pointed out, choosing something inspirational is really subjective! We see things differently! We even perceive colors distinctly than others, depending on amount of color receptors in the eyes!!!

So readers, I think at this point, its no longer only about
whose debate is the best but rather WHICH SONG fits you the most! A song about being the way you are vs a song about coping with challanges up a head.

I think that one of the reasons that my opponent chose Breakfree over their initial plan; Trouble Is A Friend is because they can relate themselves to the song. Somewhat a feeling of being at home.
The theme of Breakfree is nothing new, in fact more and more songs about being true to oneself are getting shoved to our face every single day ( which is good, but it gets bored after a while ) while Lenka albeit not being in the mainstream hype managed to produce a music that reaches everyone.

Besides, as mentioned above ,this debate is no longer about whose chosen songstress is better ,which I have clearly stated in my previous argument , by saying that I couldn't critisize her as an individual nor could my opponent comment anything about my inspirational song. This is something that my opponent has mentioned too many times that I feel the statement has lost its weight.

Also , my opponent didn't even mention anything at all about Trouble Is A Friend (TIAF) , other than asserting that in my opponents opinion TIAF doesn't deserve the title the most inspirational song and decided to only discuss about Breakfree, that I think, our debate has lost its balance. Maybe because TIAF fits the equation for an inspirational song except in his case, the only variable missing out is my opponent not being able to relate the song to themselves. That's why he chose BF over TIAF.

In short, I think that both songs are inspirational. Nevertheless, I still think that Trouble Is A Friend is better than Breakfree for its versatility and me being able to connect myself to her message!

PS; I hope that I did't cross any line here as I did earlier. I do still hope that this debate still serve its purpose to spread inspiration for others! I do hope you write a short conclusion XD! At this point, I dont even care who will win! Just as long as people know how inspirational these songs are.
dayton_mack55

Pro

First of all, to my opponent, you are welcome:) I don't mind giving a compliment where one is due. You definitely deserved the compliment:) you debate was well planed out and excellently executed. Congratulations:)

I agree..... This debate is getting a little too out of hand. I apologize. I saw a spark and decided to snap back at some comments that made me feel as though I was being attacked when maybe I hadn't been. It could've eaily been an assumption but I felt it wasn't an so I jumped back. I apologize. Let's get back on track....

Thank you opponent for your first rebuttal. I feel it gives me quite a slew of ideas to work with. I have commented several times that break free is a love centered son and that is the main them of the song, but I have also pointed out many times that there is more than one meaning to the song and that there are much deeper meanings than just what surfaces at the top of the song at first hearing. I know that not everybody will take the time to scratch that surface and realize the deeper meaning, but all I wanted to point out was that it is there and that it exists. That I can tell what a song is meant from and try to spread that hidden message. But a HUGE HUGE thank you to my opponent for your comment. "I, myself, didn't really fancy this song, but after giving it another hear, I get what you mean." That meant so much to me. That was the point that I was trying to get across. That there are deeper and more meaningful themes and messages to songs and I want to reveal that to people who don't understand and help them to do do just that. And then spread that message and create a better message and society.

The intro- I can totally agree with every single word you stated in that comment and was so happy to read it! It lights a sort of "spark" in me. Hope. Hope that other people see that commonground that I see and that a similar message is seen in many other people. It's inspiring and gives me hope. Thank you for that comment! This is how I envisioned my first debate and it's turning out for the best! This is great.

Ariana grande is very inspirational. My opponent had a very good pont in saying that you don't have to be popular to be inspirational. I completely and whole heartedly believe in this comment as well. I was just simply pointing out that since she is a bigger name, that she will press out to a little more people than someone not as well known. I didn't mean to degrade smaller names or less popular people who spread inspiration if that's the way my point had come across. I apologize if that's the way it was interpreted. I was just saying that she constantly spreads inspiration and is always telling everybody that you are perfect for who you are and you don't need to change. I think that point is absolutely beautiful. I feel that Lenka and other less popular people and just as inspirational. I just feel that their messages aren't as easily received and spreaded.

But I will not take anytime to rebuttal against my opponent aside from previous comments and I will not add any negativity about Lenka or my opponents choices. He is entitled to thwm and j strongly believe in many of the points he had brought up. I feel that I chose what fit me best and he chose the same. We each have our own opinions and we have clearly stated each of them. I feel the actual difficulty of this debate is that we commonly agree on many things. Is that we believe in many of the same things and it is hard for us to argue because we think the same things. Which makes this debate that much better. My opponent is an amazing person with amazing viewpoints and an amazing debater and I wouldn't have change a single experience of my first debate: I still feel as though I deserve the title of winner, but if I get the chance to vote, as I do t know if I get that opportunity because it is my first time, if I get hat opportunity, my vote will be for my opponent. I don't feel as though I have lost or that I don't deserve to win, but I feel as though my opponent gave me a great challenge and is amazing. Everything brought up by him was amazing and I am very thankful to have had the opportunity to debate with him. Congratulations to my opponent and good luck, thank you for this amazing experience:):):):)

Good luck to all the voters. Thank you all for this experience!:)
Zarif_Zai94

Con

Now, here comes the part that I both rejoice and regard as distaste; the finale of a debate. I'd like to seize this opportunity to express my gratitude to my opponent for instigating a well-crafted theme! It was entertaining for me, to share an idea or two with a person that has many common interests as me especially our taste of music! Coincidentally, it is my first time here too; a happy , fortuitous accident I might add!!

Inspirational music; simply an attention-giving topic, which to my surprise requires my critical thinking in interpreting deeper what lies behind the music sang by two very gifted, dexterous songstress. One whose theme is; staying true to oneself, or so to say, breaking free another being indifferent to, also to cope with, challenges that stands before us. Breakfree vs Trouble is a friend. Both in my opinion are good!!!

Despite believing that viewers should choose the song, which they can relate to themselves, I'd like give you reminders that will guide viewers to think, why Trouble Is A Friend is a better choice over Breakfree! For that as a conclusion, I'd like to wrap everything up; from my arguments down to the rebuttals. First, I'd like to highlight again that my opponent didn't have anything at all to assert against my choice song; be it content nor singer. The one and only reason that such piece of art was not to their choice was that the other song befits them better! In a way, both of us think that Trouble Is A Friend is in fact a great inspirational song!

Next, although I at this point of the debate personally think that both songs live up to the expectation as a source of inspiration, the song Trouble Is A Friend is more relevant as well as pertinent in one's life! I'm sure that one does not face break-ups or the need to be free every single day! In fact such events happen sporadically and infrequent in our life, isn't it? Well unless you're in some Hollywood reality show. As for my choice, Trouble Is A Friend; it is something that reaches out for everyone regardless of age! Let's face it, troubles are everywhere around us, and when they're just too much, we just need a distraction! And TIAF can provide you with one!

I also believe that there are so much more than just popularity! I believe that even the person sitting next to you or beggars sitting penniless with a huge smile (try imagining one without teeth!) by the roadside may as well surprise you and inspire you! Inspirations are everywhere! You just need to see it. That's why when I watch videos on youtube, I don't care about the the ratings or the number of views the video has or even how many followers the singer has on twitter! Do you? Give it some time, and enjoy Trouble Is A Friend, relish the challenges you're facing, and you just might see the silver linings ;-) It doesn't matter how many people you affect. What is, is that you actually affect somebody's life and might just change the course of event of their life. Who knows how many lives have been spared when the desperate and suicidal listen to songs that appreciate life as it is , a piece of music that advocates and foster the ideas of embracing the dark side of life! In every light, there's darkness. Songs like Perfect by Pink, Start Again by Ryan Dolan, these are the ones that truly gives quality to the meaning! These motivating songs are the ones that should be played numerous times over the national radios instead of those about drugs and partying, that are overrated and hits the top 5 in mainstream charts ! Again I'd like to stress, the questions isn't ONLY about the quantity but ALSO about the quality of the song! And Lenka's Trouble Is A Friend has it!

I think regardless of who's winning this game, it doesn't matter! I hope more people are aware of these songs and the potential they carry. I'd say it is a win-win situation. Both of us managed to find the perfect theme and opponent to share ideas with and to start debating here. Also, this debate has become something really important in my life ! Thank you Pro for the great experience! I can see that you're one full of ideas! You're an amazing debater too!!! I've had so much fun! Now that I've gotten my gears running, I'm up for more serious, throat-cutting debates! I'm looking forward for another harmonic debate with you.

Viewers,t hank you for your time!!! It means a lot for me that you read our debate from round 1 to round 4. Choose wisely!!! May The Odds Be Ever In Your Favour!
Posted by dayton_mack55 2 years ago
dayton_mack55
For all reading this, please be aware that I made a typo mistake. When reaching the part about the mean girls from high school, I meant to say that I will "now"
Retract my comment and "not" retract my comment. I was showing that I agreed with my opponent and was brought to attention to change that view. Just so everyone is aware
Posted by ESocialBookworm 2 years ago
ESocialBookworm
This is cute. Personally, I don't fancy the beat to Break Free but the lyrics are moving. However, I love Trouble is A Friend.

Good luck to you both!!! :-)
Posted by Zarif_Zai94 2 years ago
Zarif_Zai94
Its kinda weird doing the debate this way :/ normally there's just pros and cons for one side.. Now there should be pros and cons for two different ideas.. but i had fun typing it XDD
Posted by dayton_mack55 2 years ago
dayton_mack55
Yes a Christian song is permitted. As long as it has meaning to you, it is good in my eyes. Go for it! I'd love to discuss it!:)
Posted by Cassie412 2 years ago
Cassie412
Would I be permitted to choose a Christian song for this debate? I know not everyone takes inspiration from religion.