af8
NikkiChak

Instagram is a useless tool of narcissism and self-promotion

NikkiChak
Started: 7/1/2014 Category: Technology

af8

Pro

Instagram is a useless tool which promotes a low sense of emotional intelligence, an unhealthy amount of narcissism, and societal vulnerability. It is the poison that will leak into our children's minds and leave them exposed on the Internet by disguising itself as a discrete and consequence-free app. Instagram started as a well-intentioned app, where posts of food, art, travel, and other interesting things in the world were displayed. It has turned into selfie-central, where millions of insecure young tweens turn themselves into insta-celebs and they wait hungrily for the likes and the 'tbh' comments.
NikkiChak

Con

Instagram is a great way to share photos with the world. What if people are raising money for a charity? They can post pictures about the charity to encourage people to donate money.
af8

Pro

Anything can be used for good and anything can be used for evil. The trend with Instagram in this day and age does not lean towards charitable purposes, it leans towards the superficial fulfillment of ego and it encourages young people to have a blurry concept of affirmation and how it should work. Like I said, Instagram started out as a promising and creative app - but it's most recent use has turned it into a breeding ground for self-involved and misguided individuals who likely have no idea that they are falling into a trap of needing the compliments and adoration of strangers to have a sense of self-worth. A sense of self-worth that probably falls into shambles with one negative online comment. It's a dangerous world we live in these days, and not just because of privacy issues -- but because of the impact that tools like Instagram have on the mental capacities and emotional intelligence of young people who don't know a world outside of the internet/technology world.
NikkiChak

Con

Do you have an Instagram? If you do, you probably follow all the wrong people. it's true that there are bad people on Instagram but there are more good then there are bad. I use Instagram to share pictures of nature and one got submitted to a national competition. For every bad person in the world, there are 3 good.
af8

Pro

I think you are assuming that you / your use of Instagram is the majority, and that the people I am referring to is the minority. That is incorrect. Obviously, demographics have something to do with it, as well - I am not a young teen or close to that age group; however, I have been solicited by many users who are in that age group and fit the exact description in my previous post. I was intrigued by this and searched a bit further into the use of Instagram by that age demographic and was fairly horrified by what I saw. I think it is wonderful that you have been able to find constructive use of Instagram, actually, and I wish that were the case with the majority of our population. It's not though, and I am at an age where I am thinking about having children so I am constantly wondering what kind of a world I am going to be raising my children in. If you do some research and look at some articles on what is really going on with the society of youth in relation to some of these apps and sites, you will probably be able to understand why it's concerning to me. Kids in schools are addicted to apps like Instagram and post multiple times a day to let everyone know what is going on in their lives. They have 200+ followers, most of them strangers who leave comments and open the dialogue when they really could be anyone. I know it's an old argument that has been applied to every social network that exists by now, but it's concerning with Instagram because people actually think they have a modicum of discretion using the app when in reality, it was bought out by Facebook and own their information / privacy now. But my other argument is just as pressing - my kids will literally grow up to be self-involved, stupid people if this trend continues and swallows them in the process. Sure, it's up to good parenting to make sure that doesn't happen, but how much can you really control technology when the use of it is as common and natural as breathing now? I just want some more awareness to the perils of using Instagram in the wrong way and letting it consume your life.
NikkiChak

Con

What you say is true, but you have to option of putting your account on private so no one can see it. If you are that worried over your kids being on Instagram, you can get an account and follow them to make sure nothing is happening. You can also give them an age limit for Social Media. In my house, it's 15.
Posted by Preston 2 years ago
Preston
you admitted she was right... well gg,

P.S. don't say it can be used for good and evil or your saying, Instagram is a useless tool of narcissism and self-promotion, is a false statement.
Vote Placed by Preston 2 years ago
Preston
af8NikkiChakTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro admitted that Instagram could be good, the resolution says its a useless tool, if it could be used for good its not only useless.
Vote Placed by Zarroette 2 years ago
Zarroette
af8NikkiChakTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro concedes by nullifying his own resolution: "Anything can be used for good and anything can be used for evil." This means that Instagram is no loner definitely a useless tool of n and sp, rather something that can be that.