TheBoss
emospongebob527

Instant Replay should be used in Major League Baseball

TheBoss
Started: 10/29/2012 Category: Sports

TheBoss

Pro

This debate is about instant replays in major league baseball.
Here is the debate format,
Round 1- Intro
Round 2- Own Arguments
Round 3- Counter Arguments
750 characters max for arguments
1 month voting period
24 hours to argue
The opponent is against, and I am for.

Now the introduction:

This house believes that instant replays should be used in MLB. For people who don't know what MLB is, MLB stands for Major League Baseball. MLB is unlike some other sports because baseball is one of the few sports that doesn't allow instant replays. But please note, baseball ONLY allows instant replays for deciding if a hit was a home run, or a foul. Also in situations where it is unclear if a fan interfered with a potential home run.
First, I will be talking about how it makes sure the umpires make the right and accurate calls. Second, I will say why it is IMPOSSIBLE to always call the right call and instant replay is needed. Lastly, I will be arguing that instant replay will actually enhance umpires’ stature.
emospongebob527

Con

I accept, you may now state your case.
TheBoss

Pro

I will like to thank the other side for accepting this debate.
First, instant replay makes sure that the umpires made the right call. The whole point of an umpire is to ensure that the player who is out is called out, for example, and that foul balls are correctly called as foul balls. As the official rules of Major League Baseball instruct umpires, “The first requisite is to get decisions correctly.... Umpire dignity is important but never as important as ‘being right’” (Official Baseball Rules, Rule 9.05). [1] Obviously, with instant replay, it improves the percentage of making correct and accurate calls.
Second, it is impossible, I repeat impossible, for a umpire to call the right call al the time and therefore, instant replay is necessary. As you may know, mistakes happen. There are times when calls will have to be called from a significant distance. That is why we should provide the umpires with this tool. The technology is available for use, so why not use it?
emospongebob527

Con

The use of instant replay in Major League Baseball should not be increased, because it would eliminate the human factor from the game. It is up to the umpires to determine whether a ball is fair or foul, or whether a player is safe or out. The controversy created when a call is disputed creates interest in the game and gets fans of both teams talking. Stopping games to use instant replay has other detrimental effects. The length of an average game would increase. The momentum a team is building could be disrupted. The pitchers would have to throw more to keep their arms loose during the added breaks. Instant replay could affect the outcome of a few games per season, there is not enough justification to increase its use. It is more important to keep the spirit of the game alive through traditional decision making.
TheBoss

Pro

I would like to start off by asking the opponent one question. Why do some sports use instant replays? Instant replay is perfectly fine in other sports and hasn't eliminated the human factor has it? The opponent said that the spirit of the game should be the most important through decision making. Indeed, the spirit is probably the most important thing in baseball. However, just because there are going to be instant replay, doesn't mean that the spirit will be lost. There is going to be fans even if there is actually instant replay allowed in Major League Baseball. And once again, I would like to point out that instant replay helps improving the calls that the umpires have.
So I have told you that instant replay makes sure that the umpires are making the right call and then I told you that it is impossible for umpires to make the correct calls 100% of the time. Lastly, I said that instant replay is more positive than negative. For these reasons I am glad to propose.
emospongebob527

Con

Vote Placed by Altilongitude 4 years ago
Altilongitude
TheBossemospongebob527Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Not enough to sway me either way
Vote Placed by emj32 4 years ago
emj32
TheBossemospongebob527Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Con copy and pasted his argument from the second round to the third round ..