raakash14
Kosovar

Intelligence depends on Inheritance

raakash14

Pro

Good morning to one and all. Today I would like to speak in favor of the motion.

I strongly favor the motion because genes play an important role in determining the physical and mental characteristics. About 40% of a child's IQ depends on genes.
Using Genetic data and IQ scores of thousands of children from across 4 countries, researchers from the University of Queensland managed to rule out the environmental factors which have their toll on intelligence. They found that between 20 and 40 percent of a child's IQ is based on genetic factors. A gene called FNBP1L predicted human intelligence.
Kosovar

Con

Before I proceed to my argument, I would like to wish my opponent a good day and all the best.
This is another classic argument of Nature vs Nurture, but in this case, I believe 'Nurture' is more logical, this being because availability for a proper eduction for a child, depends on his/her cultural background, (The economy of their country, whether or not any conflict is going on in said country etc) If this child lives or lived for a long time in an LEDC, (Less Economically Developed Country) the child would most likely not be able to go, as a result of less schools, crime, and earthquakes. For example, countries in Africa, such as Haiti, suffer from earthquakes, which destroy schools; leaving 2.5 million children uneducated. On the other hand, we have Japan, which- I'm sure you can guess- is a wealthy country with a GDP of 5.96 trillion USD, with a firm investment in its education system of 3.5% of its GDP. Where do you think the smartest man in the world's child would do better in? Another important, ENVIRONMENTAL factor is how parents raise their child. It would be nowhere near enough if you only relied on genetic factors for an IQ test, you must have received enough encouragement from your parents to enjoy, or at least appreciate education. Tests showed that a child at around the age of five would be likely to share the same interests as his/her parent. For example, if the father or mother happens to have an interest in strategy games, such as chess, it would raise your IQ considerably. Here's a link: http://examinedexistence.com... . Studies in Venezuela show that children, who take chess classes for for and a half months at least, have increased their IQ points. Your 'smart genes' can contribute a lot to your academic life, but it is useless if you do not fully realise your potential, which I believe can only be shown to you by society.
raakash14

Pro

I hope you know of Thomas Alva Edison who invented the phonograph, the motion picture camera and the light bulb. His father, Samuel Edison was a poor farmer and his mother Nancy Elliot Edison was also poor but was intelligent. Because of poverty he could not get proper education. Now the genes of his mother enabled him to become what he is today. Stephen Hawking's father was the Head Of Parisitology but poor and his mother was also poor. Now his father's genes contributed to what he is. I am not saying that environmental factors don't play any role. What I am saying is that they have very less role.

Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru was the first PM of India. His daughter Indira Gandhi was also the PM of India and so too was his grandson, Rajiv Gandhi. Do you think this was mere coincidence? I dont think so. I feel genetics played an important role.
Kosovar

Con

"His father, Samuel Edison was a poor farmer and his mother Nancy Elliot Edison was also poor but was intelligent. Because of poverty he could not get proper education. Now the genes of his mother enabled him to become what he is today."

Or she actually taught her son arithmetic, how to read and how to write- which was actually what happened, he got homeschooled.

"Stephen Hawking's father was the Head Of Parisitology but poor and his mother was also poor. Now his father's genes contributed to what he is."

Stephen Hawking attended school, though. He went to St Albans and went to Oxford University, which is basically one of the best educational institutes in the UK, take it from a British citizen. You should also note that Hawking started with very bad grades at the beginning of his academic years- he was ironically nicknamed "Einstein".

"Now his father's genes contributed to what he is."

Stephen Hawking's father worked in the field of biology, whereas Stephen Hawking works in the field of physics, he was also diagnosed with Motor Neurone Disorder, a genetic disorder. If he hadn't married, he would most likely have remained depressed and discontinued his research. For reference, see: http://www.special-education-degree.net...

Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru was the first PM of India. His daughter Indira Gandhi was also the PM of India and so too was his grandson, Rajiv Gandhi. Do you think this was mere coincidence? I dont think so. I feel genetics played an important role."

I fail to see how genetics plays a role in someone being elected, unless- I don't know- they have good looks? Based on my research on Panditi Jawaharla Nehru, he was charming and a great speaker. I think it should be expected for the majority of people in quite a poor country to pin their hopes on the children of an influential man under the assumption that the first MP raised his children to become good politicians. His children and grandchildren didn't automatically gain the ability to run a country, they were taught and raised to become leaders to save their country; the trend of the Jawajarlal Nehru family running India could also stem from a sense of tradition providing Pandit's family as motivation for becoming Prime Minister.

"Do you think this was mere coincidence?"

I, in no way, believe this is coincidence; it makes perfectly sense to me that Pandit's grandchild became Prime Minister of India, but having the first Prime Minister of India for a grandfather wouldn't make things any easier without him giving you the support.
raakash14

Pro

raakash14 forfeited this round.
Kosovar

Con

Look at that! Pro forfeited, I hope I didn't leave him speechless. Kidding aside, you gonna argue or what?
raakash14

Pro

raakash14 forfeited this round.
Kosovar

Con

Kosovar forfeited this round.
raakash14

Pro

raakash14 forfeited this round.
Kosovar

Con

Kosovar forfeited this round.
Posted by Kosovar 2 years ago
Kosovar
This debate sucks.
Posted by Kosovar 2 years ago
Kosovar
What good would genetic inheritance do, if you don't get raised properly?
Posted by rings48 2 years ago
rings48
Who wins depends on the definition of "depends on".

If there is a 20% to 40% link, then it does depend on. But a majority of dependence is on other things.

So does intelligence depend on inheritance if only 20% to 40% is depend on genes?
Posted by Ragnar 2 years ago
Ragnar
Even when paraphrasing, include a link (otherwise your opponent may accuse you of plagiarism): http://www.dailymail.co.uk...
Posted by Abdab 2 years ago
Abdab
Speaking from personal experience, I don't believe this to be true. My mother can't read or write, my father failed high school, but my older sister received a university scholarship and I have been placed on the honours programme in my college.