toneball13
BlackVoid

Intelligence is more important that popularity

BlackVoid

toneball13

Pro

As the affirmative for this debate, I state the resolution with complete conviction, that being smart is more important/vital than being popular.
BlackVoid

Con

Thanks to toneball for the interesting topic. I'll assume that the resolution should acually say "Intelligence is more important than popularity" rather than what it currently says.

I await his opening arguments.
toneball13

Pro

Alright. First of all, being smart will get you a lot farther in life than being popular. You can be extremely intelligent, and not very-well liked by your peers and still succeed academically without problem. However, it is more difficult to assert that it is easy to glide by academically if you are popular, but not very bright.

Also, being smart will impact your future in more ways than being popular. Sometimes, getting a Job means having that extra academic edge, and being popular doesn't grant that. Also, going to college is a major academic and social experience, and being just popular doesn't give you fantastic opportunities like college to begin with.
BlackVoid

Con

Thanks for the opening argument. I don't necessarily agree with the entirety of the position I'm arguing, but its good to explore both sides a topic.

Framework:

To determine which trait is superior, we should look to which one leads to the greatest happiness for the person. The reasoning is that happiness is what almost all humans are inherently trying to achieve, and the resolution implies a comparison of traits for the average person. So judges should vote for which trait produces the most happiness based on the arguments made in the debate round.

C1: Happiness

"Happiness in intelligent people is the rarest thing I know." - Ernest Hemingway

Bill Allin finds that intelligent people are empirically less happy that others (1). The reasoning is that "Western society is not set up to nurture intelligent children and adults, the way it dotes over athletes and sports figures, especially the outstanding ones. While we have the odd notable personality such as Albert Einstein, we also have many extremely intelligent people working in occupations that are considered among the lowliest...."

"Education systems in countries whose primary interest is in wealth accumulation encourage heroes in movies, war and sports, but not in intellectual development. Super intelligent people manage, but few reach the top of the business or social ladder."

Additionally, intelligent people are at a higher risk for depression (2) and people who get mental illnesses tend to be above average in intelligence (3).

Moreover, people with high IQ scores engage in sexual activity much less frequently. In high school, "Each additional point of IQ increased the odds of virginity by 2.7% for males and 1.7% for females" (4). Also, intelligent people generally had less premarital sex partners than people with lower IQ scores and even has less sex within marriage."

This is problematic because sex is good. WebMD Health writes, "Overall, the happiest folks are those getting the most sex....People who consider themselves happy are usually richer in sexual activity." (5)

Second, popularity correlates with more happiness. By definition, popular people have a lot of friends and are more socially active. WebMD finds that "the happiness of an immediate social contact increased an individual's chances of becoming happy by 15%"....The happiness of a second-degree contact, such as the spouse of a friend, increases the likeliness of becoming happy by 10%, and the happiness of a third-degree contact -- or the friend of a friend of a friend -- increases the likelihood of becoming happy by 6%." (6)

Pro case:

I'll give some more arguments as I refute my opponent's.

First he says that intelligent people do better academically than popular people. I don't deny this. But popular people, due to having more friends, will have more people they know to potentially cheat off of. They can easily ring up their bff and ask them what the answers are to the homework assignment. This also saves the popular person more effort because they don't necessarily have to study or work as much as an intelligent person to get good grades.

Then he says that intelligent people are more likely to get a job they want. Turn - popularity is a much better avenue into an occupation. "Sixty to 90 percent of jobs are found informally - mainly through friends, relatives, and direct contacts." This means that people are more likely to get a job by knowing somebody and getting a referral than just being qualified for it. This gives the popular person another advantage since, by definition, they know a lot of people who can refer them.

Finally, he says that popular people who aren't overly intelligent can't make it to college. Not true. The average ACT score is 21 (7). While most State colleges require a 24, most community colleges or other, lesser ones will accept less. But also, participation in band, sports, and what not are ways to get past a less-than-stellar academic record. And popular people are usually in these extra-curricular stuff because they had to have gotten popular somehow.

So in short, popular people are empirically more happy than intelligent people, get jobs more easily, and can still get good grades and the college experience. Since we're looking to happiness as the framework for the debate, Pro needs to present a strong critique of the happiness argument to win. I await his response.

1. http://thecriticalthinker.wordpress.com...
2. http://www.recurrentdepression.com...
3. http://www.cmha.ca...
4. http://www.gnxp.com...
5. http://www.webmd.com...
6. http://www.webmd.com...
7. http://en.wikipedia.org...
toneball13

Pro

toneball13 forfeited this round.
BlackVoid

Con

Derp derp.
toneball13

Pro

toneball13 forfeited this round.
BlackVoid

Con

M opponent seems to have died. That means I win, right?
Posted by F-16_Fighting_Falcon 2 years ago
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
16kadams, all your votes seem to be ridiculous votebombs like this debate where you voted for a forfeiter and the one I posted below where you ad-homed one of the debaters. Every time you vote, someone needs to counter.
http://www.debate.org...
Posted by 16kadams 2 years ago
16kadams
F-16 that's mean. yet again when I first started I didn't forfeit.
Posted by BlackVoid 2 years ago
BlackVoid
It was easy to find Intelligence Bad evidence, but I could find almost no data on popularity. I'm not sure if there's enough evidence to take this against a really strong opponent, but I'll think about it as well.
Posted by Mestari 2 years ago
Mestari
BlackVoid, I'll affirm this topic vs you if you'd like (maybe, I'd have to think about it a bit more).
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
So much for "WOAHWOAHWOAH! im no n00b"

You know what toneball, i am so convinced that you are a noob who won't return that I am going to insult you by calling you a noob and expect to get away with it. You are never going to see my comments because you are never going to return.

NOOB! NOOB! NOOB! NOOB! NOOB! NOOB! NOOB! NOOB! NOOB! NOOB! NOOB! NOOB!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO000000000000BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!
Posted by Maikuru 2 years ago
Maikuru
Come on, Pro! This is a fantastic topic. Get in there!
Posted by Kinesis 2 years ago
Kinesis
In all fairness, toneball's reaction was pretty funny.
Posted by gerrandesquire 2 years ago
gerrandesquire
Dont fill the comment section by calling the instigator a no0b. Its against the spirit of the debate. And really presumptuous.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
What's not cool? I'm seriously considering taking up noob-sniping as a hobby.
Posted by gerrandesquire 2 years ago
gerrandesquire
Come on, this is not cool.
Vote Placed by Double_R 2 years ago
Double_R
toneball13BlackVoidTied
Reasons for voting decision: Interesting Topic. This was blatantly obvious, arguments and conduct to Con. 3 points for Sources and SG as a counter to 16akadams ridiculous votebomb.
Vote Placed by Mirza 2 years ago
Mirza
toneball13BlackVoidTied
Reasons for voting decision: Clear win to Con. Pro did not make very good arguments. Conduct to Con for not forfeiting, and source point to him. This topic is very interesting and I would have been interested in better responses by Pro. Con argues that being popular leads to higher state of well-being than being very intelligent, which is what the resolution is about. One thing about high intelligence is that - as Con claimed - one can be more depressed, anxious, etc. This decreases quality of thinking. Paradoxical, eh?
Vote Placed by 16kadams 2 years ago
16kadams
toneball13BlackVoidTied
Reasons for voting decision: even though he resigned his case was better. Being intelligent and informed will help you through a lot more then saying I had 300 friends in collage. And many intelligent people are happy, dumb people and smart people can become happy. Smarts has nothing to do with happiness.
Vote Placed by F-16_Fighting_Falcon 2 years ago
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
toneball13BlackVoidTied
Reasons for voting decision: Noobie!
Vote Placed by Maikuru 2 years ago
Maikuru
toneball13BlackVoidTied
Reasons for voting decision: Shame. Full forfeit.