Rob1Billion
JBlake

Intelligent extraterrestrial life forms would be viewed as Christians by millions of people

Rob1Billion

Pro

Please note the 1,000 character limit.

2 hypothetical scenarios:

1) We discover intelligent life that is relatively near our stage of development (both biologically and technologically) on another planet.

2) Aforementioned life lands on Earth (not clandestine {it is sad that I have to specify this}).

A significant amount of people (many of which Americans) would likely view these life-forms as Christians.
JBlake

Con

I would like to briefly thank Rob1Billion for providing the opportunity to debate this unique and interesting topic.

I stand in opposition to the resolution, that Intelligent extraterrestrial life forms would be viewed as Christians by millions of people.

I would like to first point out that Pro has a greater burden of proof in this debate, since it is he who is making the outrageous claim. I will, nevertheless, provide a brief argument of my own in addition to refuting his position.

===

HISTORY
History can oftentimes be a good indicator (or predictor) of future activity. In past generations, Christians and non-Christians alike have not viewed newly discovered peoples as Christian. In nearly all such cases, the Christian community viewed them as potential converts. Of course, in order to be converted into a religion a person or group must first be considered as outsiders to the group. Nothing yet proposed by Pro suggests that this would not hold true with extraterrestrials
Rob1Billion

Pro

The appearance of aliens would demonstrate a fatal flaw to Christianity: why would God only send his seed to one world? If they are "people" in every sense that we are, why wouldn't God care about them enough to "save" them?

Christians, with their backs to the wall, would seize the moment and declare that God did send his messiah. It is overwhelmingly likely that at one point there would be a story in the aliens' history, maybe even still prevalent in their culture (similar to ours) in which either a deity is worshipped or a messiah is sent on behalf of a deity. Since it would be easy to say that the writings and pictures don't match exactly because of translational barriers (they would no doubt be huge, obviously alien Jesus would not look like our Jesus), they could say that at least some of the aliens are Christians.

Christians are becoming more "lax" in their interpretations of scripture every century (electric guitars at church?). This would just be another easy transition
JBlake

Con

Note that Pro did not address my point on History, so it extends to the final round.

Pro suggests that Christians would interpret any alien god or religious figure as Christian in nature. Their motive, he posits, is to cope with the blow that another civilization exists beyond earth.

The flaw with this position is that it assumes that it is 'overwhelmingly likely' that aliens would, at some point in their history, have worshiped a messiah. Many other possibilities exist: they may worship a god with no messiah; multiple gods; no god; they may worship their ancestors; or any number of other possibilities.

Even if we assume that at some point in their history they worshiped a messiah answering to a single god (which is quite the stretch), the differences in practice, worship, &ct would be so stark as to render it impossible to confuse the two, even with translational barriers.

A more likely scenario is that Christians would view aliens as potential converts.
Rob1Billion

Pro

history:I believe that Aliens would be treated much differently than other Earthlings, because there are missionaries on Earth that constantly "save" these people and furthermore, their existence does not threaten the concept of Christianity the way a completely different planet that never received the messiah would.

I believe it is very likely they would have worshipped a deity at some point. It is very popular among intelligent lifeforms to worship them (we are civilized and industrialized yet we do) and it is overwhelmingly possible that SOME aliens (out of possible billions of them) would still worship this God. These would be "Christians".

Christians have a history of assimilating new data into their master plan AND CHANGING THE PLAN to make the data fit(geocentrism).

Making the aliens converts would mean that they never received the messiah; it could deal a fatal blow to the underlying tenets of Christianity (John 3:16). How could we convert them if God never loved them?
JBlake

Con

Pro brings up the use of missionaries by Christians. This outlines my point perfectly. Indeed, it was the very point I was making. Christianity would dispatch missionaries to convert the 'unenlightened' aliens. Pro suggests that the existence of a major religion among a different intelligent species would not threaten Christianity. On the contrary, as history has shown, all alternate religions threaten Christianity. Different interpretations of Christianity even threaten Christianity. Nothing Pro has mentioned suggests this would not hold true with alien religions.

Since no scientific data exists for this topic, it is a bit of a stretch for Pro to suppose that deity worship is popular among intelligent lifeforms. Humanity is the only one we have to go on so far, which is hardly a large enough number of species to make such a claim. Even more outrageous is his claim that "these would be 'Christians'."

Since Pro failed to meet his burden, I urge the audience to vote Con.
Posted by infowolf1 4 years ago
infowolf1
I take a slightly different than usual but Christian view of the issue of extraterrestrial intelligent life, and have to address several other things that are usually assumptions in dealing with this, in A Possible History of Life on Mars, published recently on amazon.com kindle
Posted by JBlake 8 years ago
JBlake
Well, you had quite the burden to prove. I'm not sure it was possible to meet your burden in a total of 3,000 characters. You might have a better chance to state your case if you have larger character limits.
Posted by Rob1Billion 8 years ago
Rob1Billion
wow I am getting boot-stomped.
Posted by JBlake 8 years ago
JBlake
Which side would you take, Mongeese? I wouldn't mind debating the topic again (with longer character limits :).
Posted by mongeese 8 years ago
mongeese
I would like to debate this topic, as well...
Posted by Rob1Billion 8 years ago
Rob1Billion
Well... we'll just have to wait and see when they get here then. If Aliens do land and Christians start defending their faith by saying that "Christ came to that planet too" I want you all to come back and change dem votes...
Posted by Maikuru 8 years ago
Maikuru
Interesting and concise, just the way I like it. As for the arguments, I'll have to side with JBlake. Rob's point was understandable but a bit of a stretch (aliens aside). While it's likely that the visitors would be viewed as some sort of religious signal by many, it is doubtful their religion (if it existed) would be similar enough to our own view of Christianity to make Rob's leap.
Posted by Rob1Billion 8 years ago
Rob1Billion
haha... yes, you must be VERY brief with my character limits. Deleting those extra spaces in between sentences, using more succinct language, cutting out concepts altogether... My topics usually aren't really the heavy research kind anyway...
Posted by JBlake 8 years ago
JBlake
1000 character limit is very difficult. I could have gone much more in-depth :)

This was a fun debate, and due to the character limit I must save my thanks to Rob1Billion for this comment section.
Posted by JBlake 8 years ago
JBlake
1000 is tough, but this should be an interesting topic nonetheless.
Vote Placed by Da_King 7 years ago
Da_King
Rob1BillionJBlakeTied
Vote Placed by Fhqwhgads 8 years ago
Fhqwhgads
Rob1BillionJBlakeTied
Vote Placed by sherlockmethod 8 years ago
sherlockmethod
Rob1BillionJBlakeTied
Vote Placed by KRFournier 8 years ago
KRFournier
Rob1BillionJBlakeTied
Vote Placed by Flare_Corran 8 years ago
Flare_Corran
Rob1BillionJBlakeTied
Vote Placed by FlashFire 8 years ago
FlashFire
Rob1BillionJBlakeTied
Vote Placed by JBlake 8 years ago
JBlake
Rob1BillionJBlakeTied
Vote Placed by Maikuru 8 years ago
Maikuru
Rob1BillionJBlakeTied