9648daniel
Anarcho

Internet Anonymity should be banned

Anarcho
Started: 7/21/2010 Category: Technology

9648daniel

Pro

Anonymity basically means that you don't show your name on the Internet. I would like to give some basic information why Internet Anonymity should be banned.
First, People are a lot meaner when they know there are no consequences for their actions. Those who post anonymously are free to form malicious opinions, which can offend the writer of an article or another fellow commenter. In my country Movie stars have committed suicide due to these rude comments.
Second, The concept of being anonymous makes people more daring, and on websites such as Chat roulette, there is a familiar sight of men waving their genitalia at the camera, which most likely offends, but for some could be a positive aspect of anonymity if you are into that kind of thing – we're not judging. That is disgusting isn't it? the Government should be able to catch these bastards.
Being anonymous when posting reviews can sometimes be a negative thing as people who may have a connection to what is being reviewed can leave several positive reviews, misleading consumers. This occasionally happens on eBay when people may create several accounts or use their friends¢¢&coastal;¯o; accounts to leave positive feedback for each other. For some, it can leave them feeling confused and even angry that there is no way to trace the culprit. That would definitely decrease the enthusiasm in the nation's economy.
And lastly, People often believe what they see in print and will even believe that anonymous comments are true. Sometimes this can occur when people edit Wikipedia, and even though the pages are rectified quickly, users of the site often believe that everything on there is gospel.
Anarcho

Con

I accept this debate and look forward to my opponent's response.
Your argument is that people are meaner when they are anonymously posting? Well I am not sure how it is in South Korea but in America, teenagers are constantly cyber-bullying others and many times the victim knows who they are and eventually do commit suicide over it if malicious enough. I have not heard of any movie stars killing themselves over such comments since hate mail is a common thing for celebrities well here, what celebrities there have done that exactly? I looked that up and it seems like they other problems besides that in their personal lives.

Second, there is something that I do not understand. How exactly would people not be anonymous anymore? It does not make sense how that could be controlled at all. The best they can do now is give computers ip addresses so they can be traced which what I bet they do when they are reported because even if they have a fake account they can still be traced through that, unless they are a hacker in which case they won't be caught either way. Truth be told I have not ever been on Chat roulette because I have no camera it does not allow me (but why would I want to anyways).

Onto eBay. Again people can be traced with ip address not that it is even required since you are practically forced to have Paypal which makes the person give credit card ID. Not to mention their refund service which allows you to get your money back through Paypal so I don't really see the problem besides some aggravation. And I really hope that no country economically depends on eBay.

Now that is true about Wikipedia but I really do not see how this applies. The person having to show their name is not going to stop this at all or at least very slightly.

Now for my argument. I would never want Internet Anonymity gone because as a Communist (just saying North Korea isn't, they are Juche plus I am Anarchist anyways) I am constantly getting into arguments with Nazis and White Supremacists and I would really not like for them to have my name and address so that they can come over to my house when they want as they aren't really known for for being Pacifists.
9648daniel

Pro

9648daniel forfeited this round.
Anarcho

Con

Well seems this person isn't on anymore or at least not for a while.
Posted by Cody_Franklin 6 years ago
Cody_Franklin
Pro = evil
Posted by Anarcho 6 years ago
Anarcho
Hello.
Posted by 9648daniel 6 years ago
9648daniel
Hi!
Vote Placed by InsertNameHere 6 years ago
InsertNameHere
9648danielAnarchoTied
Vote Placed by lovelife 6 years ago
lovelife
9648danielAnarchoTied