latelylove
tulle

Internet Anonymity

tulle

latelylove

Pro

Do you think anonymity on the Internet is good because it guarantees the freedom of speech? Why or why not? What's the good aspect of anonymity and what's the bad aspect of anonymity? I want to hear your opinions! lol
tulle

Con

Since Pro has not specified the resolution, I assume (s)he will be arguing in favour of internet anonymity, and I will be be arguing against it.

Since Pro is also the instigator, I will allow Pro to state his/her arguments first.

Good luck!
latelylove

Pro

latelylove forfeited this round.
tulle

Con

I'm not sure if Pro would like to continue the debate but I will present two very short arguments just in case.

I would like to begin by stating that anonymity and privacy are not the same thing. For example, on DDO I may choose not to share anything about myself and that would be privacy. However, the moderators having access to my IP address and using that information eliminates my anonymity.

Internet anonymity is bad for these two reasons:

(II) Child predators: The anonymity of the internet allows for child predators to interact with children and gather information about them, as well as convene with other pedophiles to share photos (1).

(II) Cyber bullying/trolls: The following site has several statistics regarding cyber bullying and its prevalence and effect on youth (2). Decreased media richness on the Internet reduces social cues, and anonymous groups on the Internet have shown to be less conforming and more aggressive (3).

If my opponent would like to explore whether Internet anonymity is more harmful than not, I would be happy to respond to any rebuttals and any cases he would like to put forward.

(1) http://www.protectkids.com...

(2) http://www.bullyingstatistics.org...

(3) Parks, M. R., & Floyd, K. (1996). Making friends in cyberspace. Journal of Communication, 46, 80-97. http://jcmc.indiana.edu...
latelylove

Pro

latelylove forfeited this round.
tulle

Con

Doesn't look like my opponent is coming back...
latelylove

Pro

latelylove forfeited this round.
tulle

Con

No further arguments.
latelylove

Pro

latelylove forfeited this round.
tulle

Con

Better luck next time.
Posted by tulle 5 years ago
tulle
Obviously I can't count. In round two, that should read (I) Child predators and (II) Cyber bullying.
Posted by tulle 5 years ago
tulle
@Wallstreet

I realized afterward that I was probably "noob sniping". It's just been so long since I actually participated in a debate.
Posted by Wallstreetatheist 5 years ago
Wallstreetatheist
Lookin' like an auto-win, broski.
Posted by tulle 5 years ago
tulle
What's the actual debate? Are you arguing the pros or cons of anonymity?
Posted by rfields23 5 years ago
rfields23
I believe the anonymity on the Internet is good because while it does not guarantee freedom of speech, it does guarantee more freedom of speech than we had in the past. Sharing ideas, thoughts and questions faster and better than we ever could before. A bad aspect of anonymity could be that with the widespead use of info we are also being monitored closer than we ever were before.
Posted by Zaradi 5 years ago
Zaradi
If you're just looking for opinions, it'd probably be better to post this as a forum topic...
Posted by campbellp10 5 years ago
campbellp10
Well for one thing, the internet doesn't guarantee freedom of speech or anonymity. It can help in some cases, but often times the internet is used by governments like China to spread propaganda and censor information, and the internet is also used by the FBI and CIA to track supposed terrorists or "undesirable" people. So in reality the internet is merely a tool, and it's value in both freedom of speech and anonymity depend on the user, not on the internet itself.
Vote Placed by bossyburrito 5 years ago
bossyburrito
latelylovetulleTied
Reasons for voting decision: BEST DEBATE EVAR MADE IN THE HISTORY OF LIFE, THE UNIVERSE, AND EVERYTHING. OUT OF TEN, I WOULD GIVE THIS DEBATE A 42.