ExplodingNoob
KidateK

Internet addiction and gaming is a real disease

Con Tied Pro

ExplodingNoob

Con

The studies shown on the topic do not have enough supporting detail to prove its realism. For all we know the signs of addiction could merely be signs of boredom and finding something to do with that time.
KidateK

Pro

I would like to thank my opponent for posting this interesting topic for debate. I look forward to an enjoyable round.

To begin I would like to present a definition for the round.
According to the Online Encyclopedia of Mental Disorders (http://www.minddisorders.com...), Internet Addiction Disorder refers to the problematic use of the Internet, including the various aspects of its technology, such as electronic mail (e-mail) and the World Wide Web. The Encyclopedia then goes on to describe Internet Addiction in further detail, the addictive use of the Internet resembles other so-called "process" addictions, in which a person is addicted to an activity or behavior (including gambling, shopping, or certain sexual behaviors) rather than a substance (mood-altering drugs, tobacco, food, etc.). People who develop problems with their Internet use may start off using the Internet on a casual basis and then progress to using the technology in dysfunctional ways. Many people believe that spending large amounts of time on the Internet is a core feature of the disorder. The amount of time by itself, however, is not as important a factor as the ways in which the person's Internet use is interfering with their daily functioning. Use of the Internet may interfere with the person's social life, school work, or job-related tasks at work.

Now, my opponent claims that for all we know the signs of addiction could merely be signs of boredom and finding something to do with that time. My opponent is right that not everyone, who spends a long while on the Internet is addicted; however, just because some individuals are not addicted does not mean that there is no addiction at all. To be diagnosed as having Internet Addiction Disorder, a person must meet certain criteria as prescribed by the American Psychiatric Association. Three or more of these criteria must be present at any time during a twelve month period:
1. Tolerance: This refers to the need for increasing amounts of time on the Internet to
achieve satisfaction and/or significantly diminished effect with continued use of the same
amount of time on the Internet.
2. Two or more withdrawal symptoms developing within days to one month after
reduction of Internet use or cessation of Internet use (i.e., quitting cold turkey) , and these
must cause distress or impair social, personal or occupational functioning. These include:
psychomotor agitation, i.e. trembling, tremors; anxiety; obsessive thinking about what is
happening on the Internet; fantasies or dreams about the Internet; voluntary or involuntary
typing movements of the fingers.
3. Use of the Internet is engaged in to relieve or avoid withdrawal symptoms.
4. The Internet is often accessed more often, or for longer periods of time than was
intended.
5. A significant amount of time is spent in activities related to Internet use ( e.g., Internet
books, trying out new World Wide Web browsers, researching Internet vendors, etc.).
6. Important social, occupational, or recreational activities are given up or reduced because
of Internet use.
7. The individual risks the loss of a significant relationship, job, educational or career
opportunity because of excessive use of the Internet.
So, yes simply because some people spend a long time on the Internet does not mean that they are addicts to the Internet, but there are still other individuals who are addicted.

Secondly, I would like to point out that while Internet Addiction is not specified in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, it has been formally recognized by the American Psychological Association. So, when by opponent says that the studies do not have enough supporting detail, well, the studies apparently have enough supporting detail for the American Psychological Association. On top of that according to BBC News: China Imposes Online Gaming Curb, "the government in Beijing is reported to be introducing the controls to deter people from playing for longer than three consecutive hours. The measures are designed to combat addiction to online role-playing games such as World of Warcraft and Lineage II." So, obviously Internet Addiction has become such a problem that not only has American Psychological Association recognized Internet Addiction, but the Chinese government are taking measures against it.
ExplodingNoob

Con

Can't argue much with your response.
And i do not have the motivation to even think right now so you win =)
KidateK

Pro

...Umm, Thanks, I think. I would like to thank my opponent for giving me the opportunity to discuss and learn more about this topic, and wish him the best of luck in other debates.
ExplodingNoob

Con

ExplodingNoob forfeited this round.
KidateK

Pro

KidateK forfeited this round.
Posted by Puck 7 years ago
Puck
"We" do not. The medical model postulates it as so (it's a throwback from the 70s when the medical model had its prime). Other more convincing models of addiction, say Behaviourism, explain it far better.
Posted by Alex 7 years ago
Alex
We consider alcoholism a disease, even if i disagree. I personally think most addictions are a lack of self control.
Posted by Puck 7 years ago
Puck
Actually it's a theory base issue. Disease is from the medical model of illnesses of which addiction does not properly belong.
Posted by KidateK 7 years ago
KidateK
Actually there isn't a set universal distinction between disorder, disease, and medical condition in a clinical setting. Sometimes, it depends on how a person chooses to define each word. If you want more information on this topic, I know its overused, but here's a link to a page on wikipedia to help you. lihttp://en.wikipedia.org...
Posted by Puck 7 years ago
Puck
Disorder =/= disease.
Posted by KidateK 7 years ago
KidateK
Sorry, I was on vacation when I accepted this debate and just got back. Should have my arguement posted by the end of today. So once again sorry. I probably should have waited to take this debate but I didn't want anyone else to claim it before I could.
Posted by ExplodingNoob 7 years ago
ExplodingNoob
if u arent going to debate please forfeit the rounds. thanks
Posted by Koopin 7 years ago
Koopin
You have a good point. I don't think it is a real disease.
Vote Placed by Ragnar 3 years ago
Ragnar
ExplodingNoobKidateKTied
Reasons for voting decision: Concession.