Jacob60rt
The.Nielsen

Internet censorship is a good thing

Jacob60rt

Con

I shall take the con side stating that I am against internet censorship. If you accept this debate I please ask that you will finish the debate.
The Format:
-----------------------
Round One- Acceptance only
Round Two- Opening argument
Round Three- Rebuttal
Round Four- Closing Argument
The.Nielsen

Pro

Billboards, Movies, TV, Radio, Public Announcements, etc. All these are censored to some degree, why should the internet be any different?
Jacob60rt

Con

I will like to thank the contender for such a speedy acceptance and post.

1) I do not believe that our government shall keep secrets from the common people. The government should have the best interest of the people, and why should they keep secrets? It's the right of the people to know what their government is up to. No matter what harsh truth it may come in, the people should be well informed.

2) The Internet is a highway of information ready to any one who wants to access it at any given time. Why should the government deny the people this right.

3) The greatest weapon of all in my opinion is not a nuke or a viral disease but information control.

Everyone has an opinion, and the guy screaming for censorship may be the next guy to have his ideas cut off.
-Richard King
cite sources: http://www.brainyquote.com...
The.Nielsen

Pro

1.) So you don't think the government should have shutdown WikiLeaks.com? Which exposed several spies through leaked documents who were then in turn murdered by the countries they were working in. Some secrets are kept for your own safety, my safety, your safety, and our "RIGHT" to Security. Some things need to be censored and protected, yes information is power, but what about in the hands of our enemies? In then becomes our demise.

Freedom of speech is often misinterpreted. You can speak freely about any topic, in any forum or environment, and be protected regarding your opinion. However, if your freedom of speech infringes upon the rights of others such as putting them in danger, then it is our right to be protected. So the question is, how does the government balance between the two. Granting freedom of speech to individuals and on the other hand, protecting the right to security of the others. It is a tricky balance that often gets abused. So the real debate should be "Where is the line drawn, and who draws it?" because there has to be a balance.

You also say the government shouldn't keep secrets, does that include releasing all of it's citizens social security numbers, military plans, intelligence gather, etc. Again, these are secret to protect us, if they didn't keep those securities then they would be infringing on my right to security and protection.
Jacob60rt

Con

May I point out that my opponent failed to stand by the format. He clearly made a rebuttal in his opening statement which went against the format which I made clear. By doing so shows misconduct in the contender in this debate now that is cleared up

1) No one has been killed because of wikileaks, and yes I believe that wikileaks should of been left alone. And if something so bad that we must fear that it is possible the country's enemies may get a hold of it then why put it on the Internet? That information may still be stolen, corrupted, misplaced, etc.

2) I said nothing about the topic freedom of speech that can be another debate to argue on. And also in some countries so much as saying that you are against the government can land you in prison or worse. So depending on the country the freedom of speech does not exist.

3) You are right about were do draw the line but a lot of governments go overboard on the topic. So it is better not to have the line at all.
The.Nielsen

Pro

The.Nielsen forfeited this round.
Jacob60rt

Con

Motion carried that in fact the internet censorship since he did not made a cross-examntion so all my points are stated in fact. it is time for the voters
The.Nielsen

Pro

The.Nielsen forfeited this round.