afreen96
SeemsLegit

Internet is a better substitute to travelling.

Started: 2/15/2013 Category: Technology

afreen96

Pro

"Travel broadens the mind." This statement is undoubtedly true. But is it still true in the era of the internet, where you can get information about any country by the tap of a key?
Let's look at it this way. Books have existed for centuries. But by the arrival of the internet it has become obsolete and less preferable than an eBook. If books can be replaced, then why is the idea of replacing travelling such a bad one? With the modern technology any situation can be either recreated or reported. In that case, why should people take the risk and trouble of getting out of their own comfort zones?
SeemsLegit

Con

Hello, afreen96. I assume that because your stats show that you have participated in a total of 0 debates, you are new to Debate.org. So am I. May the best argument win.

State your case.
afreen96

Pro

afreen96 forfeited this round.
SeemsLegit

Con

I see that afreen96 has failed to post his argument. Very well.

Because he has the BOP, all I have to do is give one (1) reason why the internet is not a better substitute for travel. But I'll give three reasons, and I will refute some of your points from round 1. Also, afreen96, it should be duly noted that the last round, round 3, is for conclusion statements.

First off, you ask, "If books can be replaced, why is the idea of replacing travelling [sic] such a bad one?" Just because something can be replaced does not mean it should be. A lot of people would argue that real books are better than eBooks. To use your example of books, I actually prefer a nice paperback to a Nook or a Kindle. They just have these intangible qualities that eBooks cannot replicate. Books, as anyone who has read a book can attest, are friendlier, more personal, warmer. They make for a better overall reading experience.

And the thing about replacing something like travel with internet-based alternatives is this: would you rather say, "I climbed Mt. Everest," or say, "I climbed an computerized replica of Mt. Everest"? It might feel real, but it's not.

Let me illustrate this point further. If you see a picture of the Sphinx, or the St. Louis Arch, or the Golden Gate Bridge, it's DEFINITELY not the same as visiting the Sphinx or the St. Louis Arch or the Golden Gate Bridge. It's not legit. If you replace travel with internet-based "travel", you are sacrificing the travel experience.

Plus, there's the old saying, "the journey is half the fun." That's a saying for a reason. There's no journey with internet travel.

So those are my points. Your turn, afreen96.
afreen96

Pro

afreen96 forfeited this round.
SeemsLegit

Con

OK, I guess afreen96 didn't care to grace my position with a reply. Therefore, he CAN NOT win because he had the BOP and failed to prove anything, except that he cannot post an argument on a timely basis.

That should make it pretty easy for voters, especially because I'm most definitely right on this one.

By the way, reading the debate in a Morgan Freeman voice usually makes it sound great.