HunterSego
EdificeMD

Internet piracy is good

EdificeMD
Started: 6/11/2012 Category: Technology

HunterSego

Pro

I believe that internet piracy is not bad or immoral, but is good and can help companies. For an example of piracy being a positive thing for companies, there is Microsoft. The idea of this being beneficial is that once a user starts using a pirated Microsoft product, they are much more likely to buy another Microsoft product in the future (1). This means that someone who probably wasn’t going to spend money on a Microsoft product in the first place has now bought one of their products. That is profit for Microsoft.

(1) http://articles.latimes.com...
EdificeMD

Con

I will be arguing against the notion that Internet Piracy is "good." I'm assuming the word good to be referring to good for industry, since the article you provided was an example of piracy helping/not affecting Microsoft's profit margins.

Regarding the LA times article, correlation does not equal causation. In the article, it is mentioned that "Even as the Internet makes global piracy easier than ever, Microsoft's revenue and profit have risen steadily. It earned $12 billion on $41.4 billion in revenue in calendar '05." The claim that Microsoft's revenue and profit have risen because of piracy as opposed to in spite of it is a ridiculous one.

1:
My opponent says that "The idea of this being beneficial is that once a user starts using a pirated Microsoft product, they are much more likely to buy another Microsoft product in the future." My argument of course being that if someone pirated a Microsoft product and liked it, they would simply pirate any updates/improvements to the software. Piracy promotes future piracy, a study done by University Sains Malaysia seems to indicate that internet piracy has a strong habit-forming effect and there is no reason to suspect that piracy will drop just because a product is good [1].

2:
Piracy hurts industry, in turn damaging the economy. According to the Institute for Policy Innovation, the U.S. economy looses about $12.5 Billion annually as a direct consequence of internet piracy of sound recordings alone [2]. Furthermore, as a consequence of the loss in revenue, sound industry employers hire significantly less people per year; about 71,060 jobs are lost annually due to internet piracy [2]. Goods are taxed for a reason, and internet theft not only affects individual corporations, but it strips the government of its ability to tax these goods, and as a result $422 million in taxes is lost annually [2].

The statistics overwhelmingly suggest that internet piracy is harmful to industry, government, and individual people. The anecdotal evidence provided by my opponent is insufficient to back up his claims that Internet piracy is "good."

Thank you

[1] http://www.eurojournals.com...
[2] http://www.ipi.org...
EdificeMD

Con

My opponent's question is far too vague for me to answer. Any questions you may have should have been answered in round 1. My opponent has not refuted any of my arguments.
EdificeMD

Con

No comment.
Vote Placed by socialpinko 5 years ago
socialpinko
HunterSegoEdificeMDTied
Reasons for voting decision: Even though I heavily disagree with the Con regarding privacy, Pro unfortunately made no attempt to refute his more eloquent and better thought out arguments. Since this is the case Con's arguments can be seen as conceded. Pro never provided credible proof that piracy had a causal role in Microsoft's profits and never attempted to refute Con's point of revenue and tax loss. That being said, I totally understand Con's point of piracy addiction. I don't think I've ever paid for music ;)
Vote Placed by Doulos1202 5 years ago
Doulos1202
HunterSegoEdificeMDTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro decided not to show up and debate. Arguments to Con along with sources. Also gave conduct to Con simply because trolling is an annoyance.
Vote Placed by TheOrator 5 years ago
TheOrator
HunterSegoEdificeMDTied
Reasons for voting decision: I don't know why some people are driven to troll.
Vote Placed by bossyburrito 5 years ago
bossyburrito
HunterSegoEdificeMDTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro made NO rebuttles to Con's arguments at all.
Vote Placed by vmpire321 5 years ago
vmpire321
HunterSegoEdificeMDTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro failed to respond to con's arguments and arguably trolled Con in round 2.