Mockery
ss11311086

Interracial Marriage is a Wonderful Thing

ss11311086

Mockery

Pro

I'll be for the pro side.

Interracial marriage is a good thing just like marriage is. There are some people who say that interracial marriage is a bad thing. While it's a small percent (11 percent according to the New York Times), it's still a bit upsetting that something some trivial bothers people. After years of civil rights, you'd think this would be put to rest.

There is nothing wrong with people of different races getting married. As long as they love each other, who cares what color their skin is. What matters if that they love and respect one another.

http://parenting.blogs.nytimes.com...
ss11311086

Con

Being the con, I can disagree with whatever part of the pro statement. The part I disagree with is that marriage (interracial or not) is 'wonderful'. First of all, 'wonderful' is a very subjective concept, so maybe further discussion is needed, as of whether the topic of whether interracial marriage is 'wonderful' is worth debating. As a standing alone statement, I believe it is not scientific, logical, official to claim that 'marriage' is 'wonderful'.
Mockery

Pro

Then we aren't going to debate because I do not want to debate about that.
ss11311086

Con

Topic not debatable. case closed.
Mockery

Pro

No, it's just not the main subject I want to debate. Go debate it with someone else.
ss11311086

Con

Main subject is based on the subjective descriptive word wonderful. before this issue is cleared, the whole topic or whatever main part you are talking about, is not debatable.

If you still don't understand, let me put it this way. the word wonderful can mean very different things to you and to me and to the audience, to an extent that the quality and feasibility of the whole debate is negatively affected. we can be debating on and on but what we are talking about can be totally different things, so that any conclusion that we can possibly come up with and its meaningfulness will be fairly meaningless.
Posted by ADreamOfLiberty 3 years ago
ADreamOfLiberty
Maybe if Karma is working today someone will come along and say "it's just wrong, it goes against nature" and I'll get to see your counter for that.
Vote Placed by Juan_Pablo 3 years ago
Juan_Pablo
Mockeryss11311086Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro was the only one to cite a source - point there. Pro explained what she meant by stating that "interracial marriage is wonderful", by linking it to the Civil Rights movement and providing a brief description. Con wanted to turn this into a semantic argument, which Pro found rude and I did too! Pro won this debate fair and square.
Vote Placed by MysticEgg 3 years ago
MysticEgg
Mockeryss11311086Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Damn, a semantic debate. Oh well. Pro was and is, of course, correct. Not that the debate went like that. Conduct wasn't the best, but I shall keep it tied. Spelling and grammar were fine. Arguments must go to Con, because, while semantic, he did the correct thing by arguing about subjective definition of "wonderful" and thus making the motion unholdable. This went unchallenged by Pro. Sources are tied, because no sources were used.
Vote Placed by bsh1 3 years ago
bsh1
Mockeryss11311086Tied
Reasons for voting decision: If Pro did not want to quibble about the wording of the topic, Pro should have mentioned that semantics were prohibited or Pro should have worded the resolution more carefully. Insofar as I concur with Con's critique of the resolution--that "wonderful" is too subjective to debate--I vote Con. Conduct to Con for not reneging on the debate, and arguments to Con as well, for the aforementioned reasons.