Interracial dating/marriages is wonderful

I take the position that mixing in with other races than your own is a very good and diverse way for people to live. I'm a Hispanic, but i dislike being restricted to my own race because it's boring. I love diversity, i mean when i was younger, i'd prefer a white girl, but over time, i came to accept all girls: I'd marry an american girl, black, middle eastern girl, indian, Jamaican, African, Filipino, Japanese, Hebrew, Chinese, etc. doesn't matter what race or culture.

Thanks for the topic truth_seeker. I gladly accept. I'd like to begin with a definition from the Oxford English Dictionary:

1. Wonderful- That arouses wonder or astonishment, marvelous; very remarkable or admirable; extremely good, excellent.

Additionally, I assume that we are all under the correct assumption that the dating and marriage referred to here are the pursuit and ultimate accomplishment of a union between two people with certain necessary facets such as mutual monogamy, cohabitation and (in many cases) the establishment of a family through children.

Interracial Dating and Marriage Are Not Wonderful

Interracial dating and marriage are not wonderful (and cannot be collectively) as dating and marriage as a whole are not wonderful. Dating and marriage are traditionally accepted throughout much of the world and have become a key part of our society and culture, but they serve no constructive purpose that could not otherwise be achieved besides the propagation of mutual selfishness and mutual unhappiness. In his rebuttal, I challenge my opponent not only to show that interracial dating/marriage is wonderful in the next round, but that any dating/marriage is constructively valuable. I look forward to an interesting next round.

Thanks for the debate

In this round, i will show how dating/marriage is constructively valuable to society.

Married people have less heart attacks. They have better health than those who aren't married. Married people live longer than single people. Married people have benefits in the family.

Interracial relationships benefits because you expand yourself to be open-minded of the world around and are exposed to culturally and ethnically different people. You are very able to integrate another person's traditions, cultural values, different foods, and language into your own life. It breaks stereotypes and creates diversity in family bloodlines and society.

I will begin by addressing my opponent's first paragraph regarding health benefits within marriage. I propose that my opponent has commited the fallacy of false cause (when the link between the premises and conclusion depends on some imaagined causal connection that probably does not exist). Part of the health benefits obviously come from shared health care within a marriage while others may simply comes from a higher standard of living typically associated with conhabitation. Nevertheless, I suggest that none of these benefits is intrinsic to marriage- that when one becomes married one's health and standard of living increase in a way that it could not have otherwise. This is simply implausible.

My contention with my opponent's second paragraph will be somewhat similar to my contention with his first: that cultural diversity is not intrinsic to marriage and in any event is not something that comes through marriage. If one is already open minded enough to marry into another culture than that individual does not achieve diversity through the marriage. This diversity is a pre-existing value that could still exist without marriage.

My opponent has yet to demonstrate the intrinsic value of marriage in general, and more importantly to this debate, the intrinsic value of interracial/cross-cultural marriage/dating.

My opponent said that he wanted me to show that "dating/marriage is constructively valuable" and so i thought that's what he meant. While it is true that some advantages aren't restricted only to marriage, other benefits (financial, legal, etc.) are (1).

In my 2nd paragraph, notice that i never said marriage, i said relationships (dating, courting, etc.) whether or not that includes marriage.

My opponent has still failed to present any evidence that marriage or exclusive dating relationships are intrinsically valuable, let alone interracial ones. Because he has failed to show this, he has failed to uphold his basic proposition that they are wonderful, and so you must vote Con. Thank you for the interesting debate, Pro.
Posted by aburk903 2 years ago
Glad that you can't read the content because of your extenuating circumstances, birdlandmemories. I don't know, Truth_seeker, "they" might.
Posted by Truth_seeker 2 years ago
Lol don't worry Noah, they won't win this
Posted by birdlandmemories 2 years ago
I'm born to interracial married family. I take offense to those who oppose it.
Posted by Ragnar 2 years ago
It's so socially accepted, that it's bordering on a truism, therefore it is asking to be sniped.

Wonderful as defined by Merriam-Webster: "exciting wonder : marvelous, astonishing " In comparison to normal dating/marriage it might even be good, but certainly not wonderful. Particularly when the different wives find out about each other...
Vote Placed by bladerunner060 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Con tried to run a kritik based on the notion of dating and marriage itself, unfortunately I didn't find it a successful kritik, in particular because he didn't address Pro's "diversity" argument, except to say it wasn't unique. But Pro's case did not require it to be unique--it wasn't that "ID/M is MORE wonderful" or "ID/M is THE MOST wonderful". Con argues that there are other paths to diversity--which is fine, and does no damage to Pro's case. As always, happy to clarify this RFD.