Rucorous
EdwardJLHaigh

Introversion is Not a Mental Illness

Rucorous

Pro

Ready to get beaten? Go! You can go first.
EdwardJLHaigh

Con

I will gladly accept this debate.

Firstly I would like to define mental illness as having a mental or behavioural pattern or anomaly that causes either suffering or an impaired ability to function in ordinary life.

Secondly I would like to define introversion as having the behavioural pattern that supports isolation, preferring solitary life styles and hobbies.

I would like the voters to realise that Pro has stated "Introversion is Not a Mental Illness" and I wish to emphasise 'Not'. I will show evidence that Introversion can be classed as a mental illness when someone is at the extreme side of the introverted-extroverted scale.

I would first like to draw your attention to this test: 5 signs you are an introvert.

http://psychology.about.com...

Point one and five of this 'test' on self-diagnosing yourself as an introvert include quite negative issues. Point one claims you are introverted if being around lots of people drains you of energy. Point five claims that too much simulation leaves you distracted and unfocused. These are two rather large factors to consider if you claim introversion is not a mental illness as having the behavioural traits of an introvert cause you too have impaired ability to function in standard situations.

Secondly I wish to argue that introverts, due to their negative behavioural traits stemming from their personality, are less happy than other people in society and more likely to develop further mental illnesses. Extroverts have been proved to be happier in life than introverts. People who are not happy can suffer further mental illnesses in life, meaning that if you are introverted, you're more likely to suffer from mental illnesses like depression than their extroverted counterpart. More than this, introverts are more likely to feel negative in negative situations, while feeling less positive in positive situations, a common mentality shared with multiple other mental illnesses!

Source: http://www.sciencedirect.com...
Source: http://www.sciencedirect.com...
Source: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com...

To summarise, I will argue that introversion fits the description of a mental illness and that introverts shares similar traits to many other common forms of mental illnesses. By doing this, I will prove that if you are an extreme introvert, you are indeed suffering with a mental anomaly, a mental disability to function as one would like too, a mental illness.
Rucorous

Pro

"I would like to define introversion as having the behavioural pattern that supports isolation, preferring solitary life styles and hobbies." -EdwardJLHaigh
You are quite wrong. Are you confusing introversion with being asocial? Introverts only need to be alone after a social event.

"Extroverts have been proved to be happier in life than introverts." -EdwardJLHaigh
Just because extroverts enjoy social activities doesn't mean they are more happy. Introverts often enjoy solitary activities like reading and writing.

If there are no introverts in the world, would there still be Albert Einstein, Bill Gates, and Abraham Lincoln as we know it, and the laptop/computer you are posting an argument from?

EdwardJLHaigh

Con

EdwardJLHaigh forfeited this round.
Rucorous

Pro

Extendeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed.
EdwardJLHaigh

Con

EdwardJLHaigh forfeited this round.
Rucorous

Pro

(-___-) wweh nyehhhhhh
EdwardJLHaigh

Con

EdwardJLHaigh forfeited this round.
Rucorous

Pro

boom shakalakalaka
EdwardJLHaigh

Con

EdwardJLHaigh forfeited this round.