abhinavkadiyala
ComradVlad

Involve Police in school disciplinary actions

ComradVlad

abhinavkadiyala

Con

I think this is totally unnecessary.....
ComradVlad

Pro

Thank you con for instigating this interesting debate. Good luck and have fun!

First I would like to clear up a few things because my opponents opening statement was a bit vague.

- Burden of proof is on instigator.
- Police intervention means any form of police contact at all during an incident that happened on school grounds. (simply calling the police counts as intervention.)
- Con is arguing that police contact is absolutely unnecessary in any situation when it happens on school grounds. For example a kid steals an ipod from another kid (this is fairly common).
- I'm obviously arguing against con. I believe that police intervention is sometimes necessary.
- Because there are certain laws which mandate schools to call police in some situations I'm assuming we will be arguing based on logic and reasoning rather than a legal basis. Feel free to correct me on this if you want Con.

That being said I will now make my opening statements. I wont go into too much detail because I want to give my opponent to actual state his reasoning.

Although police intervention isn't always the best option, in school or out, it is sometimes necessary. While small things like littering in school, cheating on tests, calling a teacher a terrible degrading word is obviously best handled with old school detention type punishment, sometimes there is need for escalation. A crime is a crime no matter were it is committed. If a student decided to commit one of these crimes, there repercussions shouldn't be mitigated just because it happened on school grounds. For example if a student attacks another student and viciously beats him, injuring the victim severely, would it be ok to not charge the violent instigator with assault just because it happened during school? My opponent thinks so. I find this ridiculous.
abhinavkadiyala

Con

abhinavkadiyala forfeited this round.
ComradVlad

Pro

Con forfeited, vote pro.
abhinavkadiyala

Con

abhinavkadiyala forfeited this round.
ComradVlad

Pro

Con forfeited, vote pro. Feel free to add how you would have responded in comments guys, I'm fairly curious.
Posted by ComradVlad 5 years ago
ComradVlad
thanks, I will note that for the future.
Posted by wiploc 5 years ago
wiploc
Pro asked for critique of his opening post.

Pro was pro, and argued first, so should have the burden of proof. If you want to negotiate burden of proof, you should do so in comments or private messages. You can't accept a debate---so your opponent can no longer back out---and then assign your opponent the burden of proof.

Nor can you assign your opponent a position. Con may have wanted to argue that police involvement should be reduced, as opposed to arguing that the police should never be involved.

Your final paragraph, your actual argument, is quite good.
Vote Placed by wiploc 5 years ago
wiploc
abhinavkadiyalaComradVladTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeit.